Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota Mechanic Reviews the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most (if not all) functions you mentioned can be done with voice commands!
And, voice commands will be better with future update!

Yes, but I tried "Set Cruise to 75" or "Navigate to Costco in Redwood City" and neither of them worked. The commands always wound up being botched with something else. It's great when voice works in complete silence but that's not always the case in a car ...

Most (if not all) legacy EVs were afterthought meaning they still haven figured out the battery and BMS related tech, so their solution is to slap the bigger battery to compete with Tesla.
Those pouch cells are not tested long time like Tesla's cylindrical cells, so no one knows what will happen long term.

Reactions: WyoDude
Toyota Mechanic would love this Toyota bZ4X review by Bjorn.
Spoiler alert Toyota didn't do very well. Efficiency of Toyota product is the biggest killer vs Tesla, unless you you buy $45k+ car for grocery shopping and driving locally.

Charging is the bigger problem for longer-distance driving.

There were plenty of Audi (fat) e-tron sales despite it being a guzzler because it was capable and had a good, flat charging curve.

This has been inactive for a while I realize but I was interested in the review. I can definitely see his point about some build quality issues. I took delivery on a MY last week, and while I love the car, it is true that you can feel places where the plastic doesn’t fit nearly as tight, nor feel as solid, as it does in my 2020 Subaru Outback, for example. However, I really take issue with the assertion that the car isn’t a pleasant space to be in.

As someone who does a lot of road-trips to ski and surf, I think the final deciding factor on buying the car was a trip I took with a friend to Mammoth from LA in his MY in April. I drove drove much of the time and I actually found the car was unusually calming and a pleasure to spend time in because it lacked all the busy dashboard visuals and it has so much blind spot redundancy that you never feel anxious doing a highway lane change.

The one big “must have” mod that I did immediately on my friend’s recommendation was doing high quality window tinting. I ended up getting Llumar 35 VLT on all windows, and the Air 80 on the windshield. It’s possible I could get a fix it ticket for the windows but you would be amazed how much cooler and comfortable the car is. Also, if you’ve never driven with the windshield air 80 tint, I highly recommend trying it. It’s light enough that you can’t actually tell it’s there, but it’s a huge heat reduction. I was coming west towards the ocean yesterday in late afternoon on a road I normally find somewhat dangerous because of the intense glare. I was amazed that I, who am extremely photophobic, could take off my sunglasses and still feel confident and safe.

I realize the minimalist aesthetic isn’t for everyone, but I find that, in addition to autopilot stop and go on the freeway, this makes driving in traffic much less irritating than in any other car I’ve ever driven. It’s a bit spa-like as opposed a typical cabin that’s busy with knobs and switches and such.

Still interesting to hear about the build quality stuff. I suspect it might annoy me more were I a mechanic, but I think this guy just prioritizes different features than I do. Once other EVs starting having comparable range and charging infrastructure, then I might be up for a conversation.

LOL his "Things I don't like" section should be the entire video. Lets be real, the dude hates the car. I mean even picking at stupid things like, the trunk rear latches for the 60/40 split seats are suppose to find a way to work in reverse? Its like uhhhh i don't think any car has those switches in the back that allows you to fold the seats down and fold the seats up. Every car that has this feature is a 1 way direction to fold the seats down. Pretty silly ding to make against the Tesla. I agree with most people in that his assessment of the car seems to be based too much around the traditional car look without appreciating the minimalist features.

If you ask me it's basically like a dinosaur reviewing a Tesla. You know from the start it isn't going to go well.

In this case a Toyota tech. I mean EV will take a lot of $$$ away from that industry. At best this is not an unbiased review for sure.