Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota Mechanic Reviews the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's funny that the reviewer agree with you that the Tesla UI is great but he thinks the car is a terrible place to be in.

I thought about it a little more and I do take issue with his assertion that the Model Y is "horrendous" as a car. He hammers on how cheap the materials and build quality are. While that particular car does have the squeaking interior door handles (mine doesn't), at the very least I think the materials you can touch is objectively not "worse than then cheapest Mitsubishi", as he contends. I've always found the plastics used in the MY to be of decent quality. The matte center console feels pretty solid to me and good to the touch. I believe every metal looking piece is also actually metal, unlike many other cars that use painted plastics, even some that are in the near-luxury class. No gloss black is also a plus. I really hate gloss black plastics in cars so I appreciate that Tesla got rid of that in 2021. He says that the plastic cover behind the front seats are super cheap and could break if you look at it. Really? It may not be the most luxurious thing, but at the very least it's a pretty sturdy piece (easily surviving kids feet kicking against it), so I thought that was a really stupid comment.

Anyway, it's fine that he hates the car overall. Not everyone has to like it. It's just that some of the exaggerated negative stuff is a bit much.
My POV: he basically uses classic disinformation tactics. Sprinkle in some correct facts and analyses, which then render poorly-informed subjective assertions and incorrect takes much more plausible. At the same time, he also carefully leads the viewer down a certain path by missing out varions key information completely. I'm not saying this was done with intention, but that does not stop it being the outcome.

Reactions: totoro722
I'd love to see that. I sat in one at an auto show last year. It was one of the few cars that I actively thought the interior felt cheap. Just check out that clear plastic phone charger cover with the hatch pattern on it!

yup. Agreed.

i test drove one last month. Just felt liked a rav4. Nothing special. If u looking for a boring. Budget EV to just commute around town to run errands, go work or drive ur kids around… this is for u. Don’t even think about Road trip this thing. if u try, GL and u will hate EV!

I do agreed with him tho about the fit and finish. its a hit or miss For some. My 2020 LR Y had some very minor issues which the SC fix. My 2022 MYP was almost perfect. I help 4 of my buddies inspect their 2023 MY and it was close to perfect too.

at the end. Give me some minor external issues but I want a fun, fast, good range, great tech, safety , AP, the app and the charging infrastructure over any other brand right now. At it’s current price, it’s a no brainer if u looking for A new EV!

Reactions: WADan
Here’s the Toyota guy reviewing the rav4 prime. Yea. Dude is old school and probably just disliked tesla Or EV.

a 50k rav4 prime vs a 55k LR Y. I’ll take the Y any day, any time!

plug in vehicle is so deceiving. They made u think you’re getting better fuel economy than an EV. But if u strictly drive on EV mode, a prime is getting low 2 miles per kWh vs high 3 on a MY. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: zpaul
Here’s the Toyota guy reviewing the rav4 prime. Yea. Dude is old school and probably just disliked tesla Or EV.

a 50k rav4 prime vs a 55k LR Y. I’ll take the Y any day, any time!

plug in vehicle is so deceiving. They made u think you’re getting better fuel economy than an EV. But if u strictly drive on EV mode, a prime is getting low 2 miles per kWh vs high 3 on a MY. 🤦‍♂️

My Prius Prime gets about 4.5 average. With a record of 6 average for a month.
(Summer)

I'm shocked the R4P is 1/2 that. I almost bought one, wasn't even looking at Teslas until the dealer added $11k to the MSRP.... and that's how I ended up in a Model Y :)

No regrets

My Prius Prime gets about 4.5 average. With a record of 6 average for a month.
(Summer)

I'm shocked the R4P is 1/2 that. I almost bought one, wasn't even looking at Teslas until the dealer added $11k to the MSRP.... and that's how I ended up in a Model Y :)

No regrets
4.5 is awesome!

It’s my wife primary car and she don’t care for efficiency. It’s whatever take her to work and home the quickest! So she just step on it. Lol

Lol! Toyota is the 1st to 2nd biggest car brand in the world every year and head record profits in 2021. They aren’t going away in 7-10yrs. If anything, they will be more attractive with hybrid plug-ins vs going full ev. Car companies can’t just go all in on Ev and ditch ICE. Like Toyota, car brands have the rest of the World to supply cars. Not many folks are asking for evs in SA,Mexico, Middle East, Africa, Australia, India or Eastern Europe as much as they are staying with ICE vehicles or some form of hybrid. America is a completely different market than most of the populated world. Having been fortunate to travel to many of these places, you’d see why EV is not practical real quick.

about time Toyota!

about time Toyota!

Very interesting but Tesla sure seems to have a big leg up on the tech and ground up cost savings approach. Hopefully Toyota /Lexus can be very competitive here but it may take years. Based on my experience with the brand, I’d much more prefer a Lexus ev over Tesla based on the history of great reliability and well built vehicles.

Very interesting but Tesla sure seems to have a big leg up on the tech and ground up cost savings approach. Hopefully Toyota /Lexus can be very competitive here but it may take years. Based on my experience with the brand, I’d much more prefer a Lexus ev over Tesla based on the history of great reliability and well built vehicles.

by the time Toyota/Lexus get their *sugar* together with EV , my guess in 3-5 years. Tesla will not stand still for the next few years Too.

A 2020 MY built is so different from the inside compared to a 2023 MY! tesla has np changing things up if they feel liked it’s needed. While other OEM, takes years to change or modify parts. That’s why these legacy auto keep falling behind. my opinion.

😆
if he thinks the Y is ugly, check out these two winners:

or the upcoming Lexus RZ on the BZ4x platform.
Smaller, slower than the Y, 220mi range, $60k and with dealer options, $70K.

They are banking on loyal customers staying in the ecosystem.
It may work but I will bet most will be leased 2nd or 3rd vehicles.
It's going to sit on the lot. For a long .... time. :D

For loyal Toyota owners if they shell out more than 50K their eyes are on the next door Lexus dealer.

I have a 21 MY and I have to say the interior does feel "cheap" for what they are charging. Now if the vehicle is priced at 30K yes it's appropriate. I do have a hard time with the lack of very simple, hard buttons for critical functions like HVAC + wipers and a real door handle. Yes I know I can configure the bottom nav bar but I wasn't able to squeeze everything in.

by the time Toyota/Lexus get their *sugar* together with EV , my guess in 3-5 years. Tesla will not stand still for the next few years Too.

A 2020 MY built is so different from the inside compared to a 2023 MY! tesla has np changing things up if they feel liked it’s needed. While other OEM, takes years to change or modify parts. That’s why these legacy auto keep falling behind. my opinion.
Agree.
There is no way Toyota, or anyone else, will catch up in the next decade. Investor day cemented that for me.
Tesla has several massive revolutionary assembly systems that others can't copy at the moment.
-they make their own software and critical components
-megacastings
-'unboxed' assembly lines (just announced)

On top of this, Tesla is already way ahead in profit per unit. Tesla is floating around 20-30% profit per unit while others are 0-3%, 5% at best and negative per unit at worst.

Unboxed assembly is going to half costs and speed up assembly, according to Tesla.
If it works, it will revolutionize the assembly line model.
From a supply and market flexibility standpoint, they will be untouchable.
No one will be able to compete on price, supply or technology for a very long time.

So their focus is on a new assembly model that no one can compete with.
In 10 yrs, I don't see how Tesla will be anything but a global auto giant taking the place of VAG and Toyota.

Tesla owners are the losers. They lose the exclusive supercharger network. They lose on residual values.
They will most likely lose the Tesla connector and move to CCS. *Unless Tesla moves to wireless charging but older Teslas are still out of luck.
However, as more chargers go in, the clogged superchargers will ease up... hopefully.
So the value equation will change but, as pointed out, Tesla can change their prices at will.

It's a win for Tesla. Federal money to setup more superchargers and they become the best "gas station" brand
because given a choice, EVERYONE will take a Supercharger over EA or any other junk system.

Last edited:
Agree.
There is no way Toyota, or anyone else, will catch up in the next decade. Investor day cemented that for me.
Tesla has several massive revolutionary assembly systems that others can't copy at the moment.
-they make their own software and critical components
-megacastings
-'unboxed' assembly lines (just announced)

On top of this, Tesla is already way ahead in profit per unit. Tesla is floating around 20-30% profit per unit while others are 0-3%, 5% at best and negative per unit at worst.

Unboxed assembly is going to half costs and speed up assembly, according to Tesla.
If it works, it will revolutionize the assembly line model.
From a supply and market flexibility standpoint, they will be untouchable.
No one will be able to compete on price, supply or technology for a very long time.

So their focus is on a new assembly model that no one can compete with.
In 10 yrs, I don't see how Tesla will be anything but a global auto giant taking the place of VAG and Toyota.

Tesla owners are the losers. They lose the exclusive supercharger network. They lose on residual values.
They will most likely lose the Tesla connector and move to CCS. *Unless Tesla moves to wireless charging but older Teslas are still out of luck.
However, as more chargers go in, the clogged superchargers will ease up... hopefully.
So the value equation will change but, as pointed out, Tesla can change their prices at will.

It's a win for Tesla. Federal money to setup more superchargers and they become the best "gas station" brand
because given a choice, EVERYONE will take a Supercharger over EA or any other junk system.
I pretty much agree across the board. However I have a bit different perspective than Tesla owners are the losers. We are still in the early adopter stage and there are some less than ideal things people are signing up for in this stage whether they like it or not but long term we are going to get better infrastructure, better choices, better technology, way lower cost of ownership, better longevity, etc. I see this playing out similar to the rise of Apple and the impact it has had on Microsoft and Android.

Reactions: yellowr6
I have a 21 MY and I have to say the interior does feel "cheap" for what they are charging. Now if the vehicle is priced at 30K yes it's appropriate. I do have a hard time with the lack of very simple, hard buttons for critical functions like HVAC + wipers and a real door handle. Yes I know I can configure the bottom nav bar but I wasn't able to squeeze everything in.
Most (if not all) functions you mentioned can be done with voice commands!
And, voice commands will be better with future update!

Reactions: Maxdriver
I have no issues with SC being open to others. Sound liked, majority of them will be at V4 and at less traffic area. We will see.

at its current V1/V2/V3 location, there’s enough to go around in CA, where I’m at. Even if they add a few CCS at some V3 locations , we should be fine. Most ppl charge at home anyways. The problem I see, cables are too short for some. Also location of their charge port will be an issue.

i think Tesla is smart opening it up. Will show EA, charge point , EVGo and others how it is done! u will see the T logo pretty much anywhere u go to charge. For the investors, this is very good. other brand will learn about all the advantage of a tesla and trade in their crappy EV! My prediction. Lol