Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tparts data module

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I found out that the USB-C ports only charge and do not handle date which only leaves the USB port in the glovebox which is rather ridiculous. So has anyone fitted the Tparts module with cable in the UK to enable date for the front USB-C ports?

Front or rear ports?

I have a dec 21 M3 which I have plugged in a usb A game controller via a usb to usb c adapter. This works fine in the front sockets.
The front sockets appear to provide less power than the back ones, Tried that using a usb to iPhone adapter and doesn't get enough power in the front, but works fine when plugged into the rear sockets.

Front or rear ports?

I have a dec 21 M3 which I have plugged in a usb A game controller via a usb to usb c adapter. This works fine in the front sockets.
The front sockets appear to provide less power than the back ones, Tried that using a usb to iPhone adapter and doesn't get enough power in the front, but works fine when plugged into the rear sockets.
You've missed a whole lot of chat on this topic ... things have changed. Confirmed in recent versions of the manual. Recent cars commonly do not have USB data capability on any of the USB ports (front or back) other than the USB they put in the glovebox nowadays. (One up for the earlier cars on this particular issue.)

Front or rear ports?

2022 model and tried all ports but no joy. It was only after reading various posts that only the USB port provides data.

You can buy the data-enabled hub, but unless Tesla code the car to specify you have that installed (which they won't do, trust me, I've already tried) then the car thinks you have a non-data enabled hub and won't provide you with controller-only games like Sonic, etc.

Best option really is to save your money and wait for the bluetooth controller support.

You can buy the data-enabled hub, but unless Tesla code the car to specify you have that installed (which they won't do, trust me, I've already tried) then the car thinks you have a non-data enabled hub and won't provide you with controller-only games like Sonic, etc.

Best option really is to save your money and wait for the bluetooth controller support.
Interesting, reading some of the US threads it appears that it works once you connect the data cable

Interesting, reading some of the US threads it appears that it works once you connect the data cable
Data will work, yes, but you won't get the additional games that are controller-only without coding. So if you just want it for USB sticks, etc, then you can replace it. Not a difficult job.

Reactions: Jacks11
Data will work, yes, but you won't get the additional games that are controller-only without coding. So if you just want it for USB sticks, etc, then you can replace it. Not a difficult job.
So Im stuck with the single USB and will have to attach a hub to allow a controller? What would the bluetooth option add? And why don't tesla allow carplay function?!!

• Funny
Reactions: beasty54

I’m in USA. Model Y was built 12/2021. TParts data module provides data & power ability to center console usb-c. True, you don’t have access to cuphead or sonic but other games all work well with a game controller. I love playing Beach buggy in two player mode when using the game controllers. The airplane game works in two player mode too. Game Controllers are very handy for asteroids, lunar lander. I don’t play the others much so have not tried them. I also put my favorite music on usb stick so I can listen via lossless audio formats or slightly compressed mp3 to avoid recompression via Bluetooth transmission.

If aliexpress did not ask which processor your car has then I assume they ship hardware which will work with AMD since that hardware also works with the intel based infotainment system. There was a posting in the forums which said the only difference is supported usb speeds. I suspect an “intel” module would work too just offer slower usb speeds…which should not matter since large amounts of data is not flowing through the USB ports anyhow…just music files, Tesla cam and game controllers are the possibilities.

If aliexpress did not ask which processor your car has then I assume they ship hardware which will work with AMD since that hardware also works with the intel based infotainment system. There was a posting in the forums which said the only difference is supported usb speeds. I suspect an “intel” module would work too just offer slower usb speeds…which should not matter since large amounts of data is not flowing through the USB ports anyhow…just music files, Tesla cam and game controllers are the possibilities.
Thanks, I got the package yesterday with an "I + A" sticker. I assume that means Intel + AMD and is the AMD version of the module.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Thanks, I got the package yesterday with an "I + A" sticker. I assume that means Intel + AMD and is the AMD version of the module.
I had the I+A version and fitted as on videos but I cannot see usb drive icon on my Tesla display… Does the I+A mean Intel Atom 🤔 Please can someone confirm it works as having difficulty communicating with seller 🤕🤕🤕 UK Sept 22 MYLR