Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Errors After Swap to 2018 M3 Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last December I traded in our 2018 RWD M3 for a 2023 AWD unit, largely as we live in snow country during the winter months and AWD was not available in early January when we received our 2018 M3. I immediately swapped the tires on the 18” rims that came with the 2024 M3 for proper show tires and figured come spring, I would use the Continental tires/19” rim combo (rims original with 2018 M3) for my summer driving.

I had the local tire shop do the rim/wheel swap a few weeks ago and ever since we are getting TMPS errors. I have entered the rims into the Service Wheel mode and set them as my All Season Summer tires, and also entered Tire Service in the Tire Service mode. It seems that there is no learn tire pressures button anymore. I have tried resetting the wheels many times now.

I stopped by the tire place today and then checked that all for wheels had good TPMS things and all were broadcasting at 433 MHz and set to 42 PSI. So, the tire pressure sensors are not the issue. I then remembered when we first added a 2nd set of rims for our 2013 MS, that although the rims had the proper sensors, I had to go to Tesla Service to have those sensors assigned to the car. Is that still the case; do I need to take the car with the 2018 rims and sensors to Service to have them assigned to this 2023 M3 or is something else causing the issue?

Last edited:
Obviously Bluetooth is RF and both the old and new sensors work at 433 MHz, but the encoding is now Bluetooth? That certainly explains what is happening. If I get new Bluetooth TMPS things, can the tire place just install them or do they have to be programmed or assigned to the car by Tesla Service?

BTW, thanks for the very quick reply!

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Thanks. I was going to lookup the Bluetooth frequency, but don't need to now.

The bulk of auto industry has standardized on 433Mhz frequency as solution for TPMS. You can buy plenty of inexpensive sensors from anywhere online.
So did Tesla, initially.
Then they decided to screw with the owners and switch to BT (2.4 GHz) for no obvious benefit to the owners.

Funny the tire place thought that 433 MHz was the current RF frequency. I think that the change to Bluetooth happened a few years ago.

Yes, the tire place was wrong.
As others stated, install the right sensors for your car, and everything will work. You might need to "reset" TPMS inside one of the service screens.
I forgot which one, but the entire Tesla UI crashes and reboots on me 2x / year when I switch between winter and summer tire sets.

5+ years onwards of Model 3 ownership, it still crashes twice a year.
Just like AP fails in the same exact spots in was failing 5+ years ago.
Tesla is just not all that good at software, despite public aspirations to the contrary.

HTH,
a

Are you sure it is crashing? A reboot is expected when you change the tire configuration.
Yep, the whole screen crashes, goes black, reboots, comes back to life after ~30 seconds. Same result as when you press and hold two scrolling wheels.
Nope, not what's needed or expected. But it's the best they can do.

a