Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Fault Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are the sensors I ordered for my tire guy to install. I hope they will work. By the way, Tesla tech told me that they didn’t start selling cars with the continental system until 2016 and all cars before that had to get retrofitted. I’ve read differently. Anyone know?

ITM Set of 4 TPMS 433mhz Tire Pressure Sensors for 10/2014-2018 Tesla Model S 60 60D 70 70D 75 75D P90D 90D 100D P100D 85 85D P85 P85D Sedan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0768S4SXR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_851EFb7T8YCZ8

These are the sensors I ordered for my tire guy to install. I hope they will work. By the way, Tesla tech told me that they didn’t start selling cars with the continental system until 2016 and all cars before that had to get retrofitted. I’ve read differently. Anyone know?

ITM Set of 4 TPMS 433mhz Tire Pressure Sensors for 10/2014-2018 Tesla Model S 60 60D 70 70D 75 75D P90D 90D 100D P100D 85 85D P85 P85D Sedan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0768S4SXR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_851EFb7T8YCZ8
Your Tesla "expert" is wrong again. They started switching over to the 2nd gen TPMS system late 2014 with serial numbers above 50900.

Also, you can upgrade to the 2nd gen TPMS which will allow you to display individual tire pressures on the IC by simply replacing the TPMS module and TPMS sensors with the newer 2nd gen ones at the same time. If you end up having to replace all of the sensors and/or the module it may make more sense to just pay a couple hundred more or so and get the 2nd gen version. If your car has the older 1st gen TPMS and your new wheels have functioning 2nd TPMS I'd just have Tesla upgrade the TPMS module to the 2nd gen one if I were you. It's not that expensive and a Ranger Tech should be able to come to you to swap them out, push the software update and make sure all are reading properly.

That's how I'd handle it anyway. I keep the tire pressure on my IC 24/7 as I feel it's one of the more important things to monitor on a Tesla.

Your Tesla "expert" is wrong again. They started switching over to the 2nd gen TPMS system late 2014 with serial numbers above 50900.

Also, you can upgrade to the 2nd gen TPMS which will allow you to display individual tire pressures on the IC by simply replacing the TPMS module and TPMS sensors with the newer 2nd gen ones at the same time. If you end up having to replace all of the sensors and/or the module it may make more sense to just pay a couple hundred more or so and get the 2nd gen version. If your car has the older 1st gen TPMS and your new wheels have functioning 2nd TPMS I'd just have Tesla upgrade the TPMS module to the 2nd gen one if I were you. It's not that expensive and a Ranger Tech should be able to come to you to swap them out, push the software update and make sure all are reading properly.

That's how I'd handle it anyway. I keep the tire pressure on my IC 24/7 as I feel it's one of the more important things to monitor on a Tesla.
This is the weird part.... my car has the second gen TPMS module and my previous wheels worked fine (PSI displayed on the screen). They said that the original owner of the BRAND NEW arachnids, must have had the Gen 1 sensors, so when they ordered him the wheels they installed the Gen 1 TPMS.

This is the weird part.... my car has the second gen TPMS module and my previous wheels worked fine (PSI displayed on the screen). They said that the original owner of the BRAND NEW arachnids, must have had the Gen 1 sensors, so when they ordered him the wheels they installed the Gen 1 TPMS.

That is the first I've heard of that. And you learned the hard way that they both work on the same frequency, so you can't tell that way. Glad you got it sorted out.

My Dec 2014 P85D+ is vin 64xxx, and came with Gen2 TPMS. The switch over (vins below 50,000) would have been August-ish 2014. There was a mid-year refresh at that time (several small changes for the better, the mounting brackets for the rear facing seats also changed, and there is a two-month range that remains fuzzy about which style bracket the car would have).

So I took the sensors I ordered from Amazon to tire shop and they swapped them in. At the shop, they couldnt get a reading on them with their tool they said I may have to drive it around to "activate/turn them on". So I drove about 10 miles in 15/20 minutes and still no reading on my screen. Still have the TPMS sensor fault message. Any idea how long it should take to pick these things up or have them turned on?

So I took the sensors I ordered from Amazon to tire shop and they swapped them in. At the shop, they couldnt get a reading on them with their tool they said I may have to drive it around to "activate/turn them on". So I drove about 10 miles in 15/20 minutes and still no reading on my screen. Still have the TPMS sensor fault message. Any idea how long it should take to pick these things up or have them turned on?
Update to my update.... I drove around on the new sensors for more than an hour and still not joy. I put my old 19" wheels back on with sensors I knew worked when I removed them and went for a 30 minute drive. No readings with them either. WTF... am I just not waiting long enough for these to pick up? This really shouldnt be that complicated.

Hi Random155,

EACH time you change your tire sensors or wheels containing the sensors,
you need to RESET the TPMS in your car and then drive for the sensors to register in the car...
If your vendor cannot get a reading from the sensors on his tool there is no way they will work in your car...

If I would recommend a sensor for you - I would recommend an Alligator 590883.
The price varies by week on Amazon
They are roughly $25 each. They need to be programmed by a TPMS tool for
the proper programming.
You would still need to RESET the TPMS after these are installed in your tires
and then drive the car.....

Keep us posted,

Shawn

PS - The TPMS ECU is located near your right hip in the rear right seat.
It is accessible by removing the center aero (plastic) panel underneath the car.
It is a PITA to get to...

Hi Random155,

EACH time you change your tire sensors or wheels containing the sensors,
you need to RESET the TPMS in your car and then drive for the sensors to register in the car...
If your vendor cannot get a reading from the sensors on his tool there is no way they will work in your car...

If I would recommend a sensor for you - I would recommend an Alligator 590883.
The price varies by week on Amazon
They are roughly $25 each. They need to be programmed by a TPMS tool for
the proper programming.
You would still need to RESET the TPMS after these are installed in your tires
and then drive the car.....

Keep us posted,

Shawn

PS - The TPMS ECU is located near your right hip in the rear right seat.
It is accessible by removing the center aero (plastic) panel underneath the car.
It is a PITA to get to...
The sensors I got came from a company that come pre-programed for the model s, and several people have had good experience with them. I even spoke with the company owner who confirmed that they will work with my car without any further programming, just drive to "wake them up" and the contintental system begin to recognize them.

So the issue now is, I put my old wheels back on with the original continental sensors that have been working for the past 2 years, and now nothing. The car won't even recognize them. So I'm thinking, continental module or mcu issue at this point.

I just changed my tires this past weekend, removed Turbines and replaced with Slipstreams.

I used the Wheel Configuration in the Service (?) menu - I think that's where it is but can't recall off the top of my head. The MCU screen reset 2x and the IC reset about 3x (it was a bit scary as I'm on a 5-year-old eMMC) but eventually everything came back.

It took about two miles of driving before I got pressure readings from the new tires and the pop-up that TPMS was successfully reset.

I have a 2015 so I definitely have the new TPMS.

Hi Random155,

Your car is a 2014 and has apparently been converted to the Continental TPMS system or was standard with it.
You are very close to the time frame of the running change...
If you are the original owner of the car and have not changed from the original TPMS sensors, it is probably time to do so...
6 years is pretty close to the end of the usable life of some/most TPMS sensors.
You may have experienced the double whammy of your original sensors dying at the same time
you tried to install the Baolong sensors in the arachnid wheels on your car...

I believe you still have a problem with your ITM sensors purchased from your relative...
Whether they need to be programmed for your car or not is an open question...
The normal sequence of events for new sensors (before or after programming) is to use the TPMS tool
to "wake up" the sensors...
There are two kinds of "wake up"
The first is to bring them out of storage mode and make them active.
The second happens every time you drive the car or a tool wakes them up...
In any event, you must ALWAYS get a functional response to the TPMS tool from the sensors.
If you don't get a response, you don't waste time installing them into wheels when you know
they do not work... The sensors are nearly impossible to program when installed into rims
and covered with tires...

Generally before you do your drive to reset to the new sensors, a TPMS tool wakes up the sensors
so they are available and broadcasting for the car to receive and identify.
You had stated earlier that the new ITM sensors did not provide readings on the TPMS tool.
If they do not respond to the TPMS tool, they certainly will not provide data to your car.

If you are able to take the extra set of tires to your appointment, you will probably
save yourself another trip and aggravation. Tesla should be able to "read" the ITM sensors
and if they cannot you are back to your relative to get you some functional sensors...

Good Luck,

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
Hi Random155,

Your car is a 2014 and has apparently been converted to the Continental TPMS system or was standard with it.
You are very close to the time frame of the running change...
If you are the original owner of the car and have not changed from the original TPMS sensors, it is probably time to do so...
6 years is pretty close to the end of the usable life of some/most TPMS sensors.
You may have experienced the double whammy of your original sensors dying at the same time
you tried to install the Baolong sensors in the arachnid wheels on your car...

I believe you still have a problem with your ITM sensors purchased from your relative...
Whether they need to be programmed for your car or not is an open question...
The normal sequence of events for new sensors (before or after programming) is to use the TPMS tool
to "wake up" the sensors...
There are two kinds of "wake up"
The first is to bring them out of storage mode and make them active.
The second happens every time you drive the car or a tool wakes them up...
In any event, you must ALWAYS get a functional response to the TPMS tool from the sensors.
If you don't get a response, you don't waste time installing them into wheels when you know
they do not work... The sensors are nearly impossible to program when installed into rims
and covered with tires...

Generally before you do your drive to reset to the new sensors, a TPMS tool wakes up the sensors
so they are available and broadcasting for the car to receive and identify.
You had stated earlier that the new ITM sensors did not provide readings on the TPMS tool.
If they do not respond to the TPMS tool, they certainly will not provide data to your car.

If you are able to take the extra set of tires to your appointment, you will probably
save yourself another trip and aggravation. Tesla should be able to "read" the ITM sensors
and if they cannot you are back to your relative to get you some functional sensors...

Good Luck,

Shawn

FINALLY, IN CONCLUSION: I took the car to the service center and they corrected the TPMS system to re-allow other sensors to work. My original sensors picked up and are now working. I drove home and put my arachnids on with the new "amazon" sensors installed and they are now working. Moral of the story DONT BUY ITEMS FROM kamalik09 on this forum. I got a good deal on the tires/wheels but that was all negated buy the time and money spent used to fix the issue that shouldnt have been there to begin with.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352