Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Fault Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed arachnids on my 2014 MS85 and I’m getting a TPMS fault error message. I can confirm that my car has the new TPMS system required for the continental sensors. I can confirm that the arachnids have working continental sensors. When I reset the MCU to the new wheels the screen displays a message saying that the sensors were successfully reset. However I don’t get any Psi readings on my screen and I get an error message. I drove at least 40 miles on the new wheels and the car still won’t recognize. Any suggestions? 8804DE33-6C0B-4D95-922A-0E88111FC045.jpeg

Attachments

• 29CBA9F1-57E1-4D44-A247-815BD1ABE1CF.jpeg
    29CBA9F1-57E1-4D44-A247-815BD1ABE1CF.jpeg
    450.4 KB · Views: 91
First, you sure your car is new enough to use the Gen2 sensors or has been retrofitted? (Have you seen individual pressure readings before?)

I think that reset message is about the car. Not sure it means the sensors are “awake”.

If the tires sat a long time, the TPMS may have gone into a “deep sleep”. Google it, but I believe the process is to deflate the tires to about 10 psi then try to fill them fairly quickly (like a wall powered compressor, not the little emergency 12V compressor).

One other thought (this happened to me). Even if it's not your issue, others may run into this.

If the previous set of tires are still in the car, it will NOT recognize EITHER set due to the conflict. Remove the old set and drive a few miles. Solved.

Reactions: Jpandes
One other thought (this happened to me). Even if it's not your issue, others may run into this.

If the previous set of tires are still in the car, it will NOT recognize EITHER set due to the conflict. Remove the old set and drive a few miles. Solved.
Thank you. I thought of this. My old set is in the garage. I wonder if there would be a conflict there. I did try to reset everything away from home because of this but the same issue persists. I wonder if it’s because they are still to close to where I park.

Thank you. I thought of this. My old set is in the garage. I wonder if there would be a conflict there. I did try to reset everything away from home because of this but the same issue persists. I wonder if it’s because they are still to close to where I park.
That wouldn't matter.

I would run by a tire shop and have them confirm that the TPMS in the Arachnids are working and are correct for your car (they can do this in about 30 seconds with their tool).

Hi @random155 ,

I don't think you answered if you ever saw psi readings on your old tires, wheels - Did you???

What month was your car made?
How are you determining that the car has Continental ECU???

Both Baolong and Continental use 433 Mhz in USA cars so that is not a determining factor...

Do you know the brand and model of TPMS sensor in the arachnid tires???
Some dual hertz 315 and 433 sensors will program to 433 mhz but will NOT work in the car...

A few more things to check...

Shawn

Hi @random155 ,

I don't think you answered if you ever saw psi readings on your old tires, wheels - Did you???

What month was your car made?
How are you determining that the car has Continental ECU???

Both Baolong and Continental use 433 Mhz in USA cars so that is not a determining factor...

Do you know the brand and model of TPMS sensor in the arachnid tires???
Some dual hertz 315 and 433 sensors will program to 433 mhz but will NOT work in the car...

A few more things to check...

Shawn

thanks for the response. Yes I’ve seen psi on my old sensors. The brand is whatever Tesla put in them, I’ve been told continental. My car is 11/14 build date.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 79
thanks for the response. Yes I’ve seen psi on my old sensors. The brand is whatever Tesla put in them, I’ve been told continental. My car is 11/14 build date.

11/14 is definitely new enough to have Gen2 sensors and the Arachnids are even newer (released in 2017? Around then). I’d try the “wake up” pressure change trick before anything too drastic

Hi @random155 ,

Thank you. A November 2014 should be new enough for a Continental ECU...
Continental sensors should "work"...
Tesla may need to review what's going on...
A TPMS tool may need to be used to wake up the sensors...
Other remote possibility is Tesla mistakenly put Baolong sensors in based on car mfg. date
or Continental ECU is failed...

Good luck - I will be interested to learn the problem

Shawn

Any other suggestions? I really dont want to take to SC. Ive changed up the tire/wheel configuration several times to try and get it to pick up the TPMS. The screen keeps saying that the sensor were successfully reset. How long have you all had to wait for the car to pick up new TPMS? I've read: several minutes to several days.

So I guess its a trip to the SC. Im gonna drop in tomorrow and see if they can take a quick look and maybe just reset the TPMS system. Hope they dont kick me out without an appointment.
I notice this in the current manual:
Note: On some older versions of Model S,
when changing to 21" wheels, the TPMS may
generate false tire pressure warnings. Bring
Model S to a Tesla Service Center for further
adjustment.
A Warning: Do not reset the TPMS sensors
in an attempt to clear tire pressure
warnings.

I notice this in the current manual:
Note: On some older versions of Model S,
when changing to 21" wheels, the TPMS may
generate false tire pressure warnings. Bring
Model S to a Tesla Service Center for further
adjustment.
A Warning: Do not reset the TPMS sensors
in an attempt to clear tire pressure
warnings.

that’s interesting. Hoping a quick stop at the sc can get it adjusted.

Ok so here's the update: I dropped in the SC and they took a look at the configuration. Apparently the arachnids i purchased brand new, second hand, have the Baolong sensors installed in them - even though they are transmitting 433mhz. I didnt think Baolong transmitted 433mhz. So now it looks like i need new sensors. I'd rather pay a local tire shop to make this repair so what TPMS sensors will 100% work with a 2014 MS85 with the upgraded continental TPMS computer. Tesla, of course, says that if I have a private shop do it they may not recognize and I may have to bring it to them anyway to program the sensors to the car. WTF is that about?

Ok so here's the update: I dropped in the SC and they took a look at the configuration. Apparently the arachnids i purchased brand new, second hand, have the Baolong sensors installed in them - even though they are transmitting 433mhz. I didnt think Baolong transmitted 433mhz. So now it looks like i need new sensors. I'd rather pay a local tire shop to make this repair so what TPMS sensors will 100% work with a 2014 MS85 with the upgraded continental TPMS computer. Tesla, of course, says that if I have a private shop do it they may not recognize and I may have to bring it to them anyway to program the sensors to the car. WTF is that about?
Tesla "Customer Service" support is the worst. Nothing else to say. They're mostly idiots who, as an added bonus, don't care about you or their job. There are exceptions to the rule but in my dozens of first-hand-accounts with them in multiple locations in the Rocky Mountain Region they either don't care to help or aren't armed with the capability to do so.

Take your car to your local tire shop and have them do it. Don't approach it with "I need new TPMS because these don't work with my car" because that's exactly what you may get when yours work fine. Have them see if they can get the ones you have working first as they may be compatible despite what Tesla says. They have a scan tool and can diagnose everything so let them and don't talk yourself out of hundreds of dollars by acting like you know more than you do about the situation based on what some Tesla lackey told you.

I use Discount Tire personally for tires, rotations, mounts and all things tire related to include TPMS and have always had phenomenal luck. Have them price match the lowest price for TPMS online and they will save you a fair amount off list price. They will install them and program them... done and done. It's that simple. TPMS isn't rocket surgery so don't let anyone convince you otherwise to try to bilk you of your hard earned money or to misdirect from their personal incompetence.

Last edited:
^^^^This. America’s/Discount Tire has TPMS expertise as it’s a gravy product for them. They make $$ on the service of having to mount/dismount each tire along with the rebuild kits. When I had them mount my winter tires on an old set of base 19” wheels, I told them I’ve seen TPMS for our cars for $25 and the mgr said “no problem” and manually changed the price on the screen.
Save the Baolong units and sell them to recuperate some of the cost.