Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS retrofitted?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes.

My 2013 S had the original tpms, which only gave a warning if a tire was low.

When one failed,it tried to get Discount Tire to replace it. They used a version 2 tpms and it didn’t work at all. Tesla doesn’t like to replace one tpms, particularly the aging version 1, so they did a courtesy upgrade for me.

I now have the newer sensors, plus they upgraded the computer to allow display of all 4 tire pressures.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I wonder if this is something they're doing on all CPOs now, my 2014 85 also has the pressure display available.

It came with four new Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires, which in no way looked like they had the 32K miles on them the original set would have had - so I'm guessing they replaced the TPMS system when they put on the new Michelins.

Yes.

My 2013 S had the original tpms, which only gave a warning if a tire was low.

When one failed,it tried to get Discount Tire to replace it. They used a version 2 tpms and it didn’t work at all. Tesla doesn’t like to replace one tpms, particularly the aging version 1, so they did a courtesy upgrade for me.

I now have the newer sensors, plus they upgraded the computer to allow display of all 4 tire pressures.
I suspect I'm needing to get some TPMS's replaced soon (occasional errors).

Mind sharing how much that all cost?

I wonder if this is something they're doing on all CPOs now, my 2014 85 also has the pressure display available.

It came with four new Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires, which in no way looked like they had the 32K miles on them the original set would have had - so I'm guessing they replaced the TPMS system when they put on the new Michelins.

At the age of the Gen 1 sensors they may well start doing it preemptively rather than have a customer bring in a CPO 6 months later for it.

I bought my 2014 P85 used NOT CPO and since the cold weather started I have intermittently gotten the TPMS system fault, fairly certain it is batteries in the sensors and at $500-550 for the update I will go ahead and do that, might spring for 4G cellular upgrade at the same time.