Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up the $18 TPMS from Tesla and will have Discount Tire install at $20/each.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'm at Discount Tire and the sensors are not registering on their scanner. I called Tesla and they said I'd have to bring the car to them in a month (next available appointment) to have them programmed. Do you know of anything that Discount Tire can do to program the sensors?

I picked up the $18 TPMS from Tesla and will have Discount Tire install at $20/each.

FYI: You might want to include your Roadster version so not to confuse people with the TPMS choices, this thread is getting confusing for people without it.... Right now if its cheap, its for the 2.x and it not its for the 1.5 version.

My best guess is that you have a 2.0 version.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Mine went off and on like did that for awhile before they died. Probably limping into death sadly.

He just installed new ones as he indicated in the thread. I've heard of TPMS sensors taking some time before they begin to work/register properly. Sounds odd but I guess its true. If you're able to drive a few more days without any alerts, I presume that's the case and all is good.

My friend who has a Corvette Z06 told me he's heard of people with these kind of sensors who have been able to open up the sensor device and replace the battery in it and get it working again. If that can be done, it seems to me that reprogramming might not be needed.
Anyone want to try that or research it?

The 1.5 Roadsters do not need to be programed. You just need to drive 20 miles. The 2.x while cheaper MUST be programed with Tesla's proprietary tool. I know as I watched the service tech change mine and the warning did clear after about 20 miles. He did use a tool to determine which one was bad which is helpful.

Reactions: wiztecy
My friend who has a Corvette Z06 told me he's heard of people with these kind of sensors who have been able to open up the sensor device and replace the battery in it and get it working again. If that can be done, it seems to me that reprogramming might not be needed.
Anyone want to try that or research it?
I could be mistaken, but my understanding is, this isn't a battery / rebuld issue. It's a "the sensors go bad within 3-12 months and need to be replaced" thing.

Reactions: DeedWest
I just ordered the following TPMS sensors from Ebay for my 1.5 Roadster. Price was $170 for a set of 4, so it comes to about $43 per TPMS which isn't bad. The part number is: Huf UVS2000

Here's the ebay Link, will expire over time:TPMS fits Tesla Roadster 2008 - Tire Pressure Sensors Set of 4 CP | eBay

The ad indicated it would fit the Tesla Roadster, 2008-10 models between the vin 1-500. Since they listed the VIN I felt they did their homework. However I got cold feet after I ordered thinking this can't be possible and they can't be that cheap. I called trying to cancel the order the following morning, talked to a tech, and they indicated that the UVS2000 is a programmable sensor and it will work on the 1.5 Tesla. He then said they program the sensor there for the application/vehicle. So I said, ok, I'll give it a shot! Will give an update once I install the TPMS installed.

The Huf sensors are also made in Germany!!! Not in China. Not sure how long the Chinese ones would last.... so I'm happy about that.

s-l1600.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and DaveD