TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TPMS Sensors

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by jordanthompson, Oct 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

I run (typically) 5 months out of the year with no TPMS since my winter set does not have them. As you have surmised, the only downside is the message, and ensuring that you are monitoring your tire pressures. You also can't go "left" through your VDS screens since the left arrow is now replaced with an error link.

2. sethr

sethr CPO Roadster #1089

#22 sethr, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Until a week ago, I wished there was no darn TPMS. I figured I can check my tire pressure with a gauge, nothing else needed. But then I got a slow leak from a nail in my tire while I was parked for a few hours. There was only 12 psi left. Instead of potentially having a ruined tire or worse, I just went to the nearest gas station, added air, and was able to monitor the pressure as I drove to a tire repair place. So now I will pay to maintain the sensors: much cheaper than a new tire or losing control while driving.

3. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Confirmed, I bought four sensors from my Tesla service centre last week. Cost was $26 CAD each, or about $20 US.

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

What???? I just paid $200 each for the 1.5 versions

5. slcasner

slcasner Member

The 1.5 versions are more expensive than the 2.x versions. They are also more reliable.

6. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Supporting Member

Just got my car back from Rockville SC and they charged me 17.63 each for two sensors. The antenna faulted also and cost 94.04.

7. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

I stopped by the Bellevue, WA Service Center today to confirm the current price of the v1.5 sensors: $223.78 ea.
    I bought a set of 4 of these several years ago for a set of winter wheels I acquired, and I'm sure I didn't pay anywhere near that price for them then.

• Like x 1
  8. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#28 wiztecy, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    Here's the TPMS from my 1.5 Roadster when I had my rear tires changed. I asked them to write down the make/model/number of the TPMS, instead they took a picture of it which is helpful. Will try to hunt these down since I'm going to need 4 more for a set of 2.5 Sport forged wheel's I'm building and putting on the car.

Here are some numbers/characters I could make out that appear to have any importance:

BERU - Made in Germany
    FL-0105958-A
    FCC ID OYGTSSRE4TC
    433Mhz
    10/12/08 -22

Roadster_1.5_TPMS.jpg

9. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#29 wiztecy, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    No hit on the part numbers, might be a Tesla number. However I did get a hit off the FCC ID if I got that correct such as the digits. Please verify to see if I'm close. Here's the link to the Beru TPMS with the same FCC ID and its $138, so cheaper than Tesla if its the one. We can cross reference if this is correct for another manufacturer. And off of Ebay, I found the RDE010 BERU part number (same FCC ID) which came in some Porsche 911 cars, possibly others going for $50 used for all four of them (without the valve stem). I don't think I'd buy them used. However, I'm pretty sure FCC IDs are unique for each TPMS sensor model, so if true, these are the ones to get for the 1.5 Roadster (BERU RDE010):

PORSCHE 911 TPMS SET OF 4 Tire Pressure Sensors 433 MHz RDE010

Dill TPMS Sensor: D-9008

[​IMG]

10. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

11. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

12. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Correct, what I posted was for the 1.5 roadster. The 2.0 is totally different and way cheaper in cost. If you have the fcc id, you should be able to locate a compatible TPMS since the one's equipped on the roadster are encoded with a Tesla part #.

13. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

FYI. I called my local service center and they also said the sensors are $18 each. I'm going to go get two new ones from them.

I guess there is no reason to look at other sources!

14. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

A further update on the 1.5 TPMS is that you do not need a special tool. They are supposed to automatically sync after a 20 mile drive. Sure enough when I picked up my Roadster they did take a 21 mile drive.

• Helpful x 1
  15. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

It might be worth contacting TPMSDirect and see if they can confirm the compatibility with the Tesla Roadster. If so, they could change their "Search By Vehicle" website feature to include the Tesla Roadster; it only has the Tesla Model S supported now.

16. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

FYI. I bought two of the rear TPMS sensors for the 2.0 Roadster yesterday from Tesla. They were $18 each!
    Here are photos of the sensors and of the box, in case that is helpful for anyone in the future.

2016-04-21 08.20.44.jpg 2016-04-21 08.20.56.jpg 2016-04-21 08.21.14.jpg box.PNG

17. glight2000

glight2000 Member

My TPMS sensors are bad. I called the San Diego TSC and also received a quote of $18/each. They're not in stock, however, until later this week. I'll give an update with the installation cost.

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

$18 each?!

I paid Tesla over $223.78 each to replace the TPMS on my 1.5 early this year, plus $49 each for a "metal valve stem". So over $1,000 for all 4 wheels.

I'm not making that up.

• Informative x 1
  19. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

The 1.5's are much better and much more expensive. The 2.x TPMS is one of the major weak points of the model, but the replacement sensors are, as you can see, much, much cheaper.

20. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

In over 5 years I've never had any trouble with my 2.5 sensors.