Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a similar question earlier this week. Check out the thread and responses. Looks like they will work.

Aftermarket Wheels and TPMS

I just confirmed that the replacement partnumber listed on their website is the same as the sensors for my 2010 Roadster. I just ordered them and will let you know how this turns out. I just ordered the front tires from Tire Rack as they are done, one of the sensors in the back is bad, so I figured I'd replace all four at the same time.

These sensors are $46 each and are direct replacements for my 2010 Roadster's:
TPMS fits Tesla Roadster Tire Pressure Sensor

Last edited:
I just confirmed that the replacement partnumber listed on their website is the same as the sensors for my 2010 Roadster. I just ordered them and will let you know how this turns out. I just ordered the front tires from Tire Rack as they are done, one of the sensors in the back is bad, so I figured I'd replace all four at the same time.

These sensors are $46 each and are direct replacements for my 2010 Roadster's:

Anyone know if the 1.5 Roadsters use the same TPMS sensors as the 2.X?

Is it the same part number for the Roadster 2.5 Base?

That could change my consideration for using all season tires instead of changing for summer / winter.

Thanks for any updates,
---Kent

Hi, I'm digging into this again since I am putting on new tires and I had a problem with my TPMS sensor sealing properly.

It looks like replacement sensors are available from: Ascot Supply Corporation - Tire Racks, Tire Displays, Tire Storage, Tire Handling, TPMS, Tire Industry, Tire Supplies, Tire Equipment

Looking at their catalog:
http://www.rubber-inc.com/PDF/Ascot TPMS Catalog 2014.pdf

They recommend a Dill sensor model 2112, which replaces OEM part: 6004985

Tirerack also seems to sell the same thing, listed as Model 2112:
http://www.tirerack.com/tpms/detail...autoModel=Roadster&autoYear=2010&autoModClar=

They also recommend a repair kit, 2020K, which replaces the seals and should be done every time the tires are replaced. That seems to be what the guys that did my last set of tires failed to do, and I developed a leak around the TPMS.

However, it looks like the original post recommends a set of TPMS sensors from ORO-TEK:

Which is available from:
http://www.orotekusa.com/

Their website doesn't give me as much confidence, since they don't specify which kit works for Tesla, only that it is under development.

Any thoughts on which to go with?

I'm thinking of replacing both sensors while my tires are being replaced, since I had a problem with leaking, and the batteries are probably getting old anyway. It's cheap to do while they are out...

$50 each? I recently bought a set of 4 for my 2.0 from Tesla for $72 total. Tesla's prices seem to have varied quite a bit over time - and I think they vary by service center, for some reason - but you might want to check.

As you note, the $150 (at a 3rd party shop because I have 3rd party tires) to take the tires off, install the sensors, and put the tires back on was notably more than the sensors themselves.

$50 each? I recently bought a set of 4 for my 2.0 from Tesla for $72 total. Tesla's prices seem to have varied quite a bit over time - and I think they vary by service center, for some reason - but you might want to check.

As you note, the $150 (at a 3rd party shop because I have 3rd party tires) to take the tires off, install the sensors, and put the tires back on was notably more than the sensors themselves.
Chad, would you please share where you got the four sensors for $70?

The nearest Tesla service center. They were $17.63 each, plus tax.

My batteries died almost a year ago, and I'd put off buying a new pair because the last time I'd checked they were considerably more expensive. (And I was hoping I'd get a new set with a Roadster 3.0 wheel/tire package, silly me). I was quite surprised by the current price.

Though as I noted, a lot of times parts prices seem different at other service centers. I am not sure if they are doing A-B testing, or have a really bad database, or allow local managers to set prices to even out expenses and income, or what. So you might not get the same price if you ask at your service center.

Yeah I've noticed a variance by service center not just on pricing but on various policies. Some SCs, for example, will reprogram your sensors for free if you stop in while others charge a hefty labor fee.

I suspect the price you were quoted was for 1. Later the tech discovered his/her mistake and was too embarrassed to tell you it would be 4x that so they just let you have 3 for free. Here's another link for the 2.5 sensors, which I think are different from the 1.5:
Results for All Products > Year: 2010 > Make: Tesla > Model: Roadster > Type: TPMS - Search by make and model

Could be. In August 2012 I was quoted $49 each for Model S sensors. Around a year later I saw somebody near me post that they had been quoted almost $200 each for Roadster sensors (though that may have been for more than just the sensors - it might have included changing tires, reprogramming, etc - I don't recall for sure). I didn't check again until last month and got a pleasant surprise. My invoice does say $17.63 each and that I bought 4, but maybe it was somehow altered.

In any event, I am very pleased with my purchase. :) They spent a lot of time with me as I tried to figure out my tire/wheel/sensor options.

On the subject of TPMS sensors, besides the regular bleep from the center console (on a 2.5), what is the downside of not having functional TPMS installed? My experience with these things on the Roadster is that now that I'm out of warranty, they aren't worth repairing or maintaining - they'll just fail and provide me with another repair bill within 12 months.

So I'm going with the ignore-the-message solution, and manually checking tire pressures now and then. But I'm hardly an expert here - is there something I'm missing that's not as obvious (I know I don't have real-time monitoring of tire pressures, but I can work with that).