Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track mode Vs ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since no one more knowledgeable to satisfy your curiosity over your Thursday morning coffee break, I’ll pass on my limited and probably outdated knowledge.

Iirc early ludicrous mode required hardware upgrades to take the extra power - electrical capability. I think that just rolled into standard performance spec so then it just became software.

As above, ludicrous is basically better acceleration/launch control, but I think it has a small operating window to get the best from it. So by time you have setup car to drag them off the lights, the other car will be long gone.

Last edited:
Just wondering if an OTA update for ludicrous on the model 3 performance is "technically possible"

6DF3F173-97D4-4C77-BEE0-B9BD353DCD59.jpeg

IMHO, ludicrous mode is valuable marketing for Tesla to distinguish their premium models (S & X) from their general range (3). I think two relevant questions are:

1. is it possible for the M3 Performance to accelerate quicker than current; and
2. if the above is true, will Tesla enable a Ludicrous Feature?

Re 1, I don’t think that the model 3 has the same battery heating hardware as S and X, so I’m not sure how the essential battery pre heating phase will differ in a 3 from an S/X.

Re 2, this will depend on the EV market. If Ford’s Mustang had been high performance, for example, then I would think it would have been a lot more likely.

If Ford’s Mustang had been high performance, for example, then I would think it would have been a lot more likely.

The mustang Mach-e GT is already 460hp and 3.5s to 60, so it’s already up there with the 3P and the forthcoming Y. Hardly a slouch..

ICE GT level mustangs are currently 460hp / 420ft-lb version with a “proper” engine (the very thought of a 4-pot Mustang makes my teeth itch), and beyond that you have halo models like Bullitt (+20hp / +0lb-ft), GT350 (+66 / +9), GT350R (+67 / +9) & GT500 (+300 / +205), plus the Ford & Shelby mods packages. The yanks love modifying a perfectly good car, and there are a pile of Ford backed add-ons that can boost power of a standard GT significantly like a bolt on supercharger kit that’ll give you another 140hp. I’d fully expect that Ford haven’t stopped the Tesla copycat exercise at the dashboard and have left an awful lot more power available for future mods, probably due to be released just as soon as the inevitable and highly predictable model 3/Y vs Mach-e drag race videos start clogging up your YouTube feed.

Ludicrous will cause the car to overheat quickly, but provide you with maximum power. We tried running a Model S at Laguna Seca in Ludicrous mode and it couldn't finish one lap without power reduction. Track Mode improves cooling and VSC tuning and will allow you prolonged driving at high speed.

I wonder how long before someone has a blackout and causes all sorts of damage, or worse.

I worked on a project that had live accident crash data. The aftermath is not pretty when things go wrong in a split second. It doesn't matter how good the weather is, how clear the road is, how super human you think you are, how 'special' a car is - its not so special when sliced in half or embedded in the back of something. And thats before some poor souls have had their lives irreversibly changed for ever, all in that split second.

Guys. Isn't 3.2sec to 60 fast enough in a P3+? I prefer the performance all the time in the M3P+ than to "set up" and "bring it on" Ludicrous mode in the MS for short bursts. Is the track mode available in the MSp & MXp?

I don’t have the time or inclination to get to a track, but I very much do have the inclination to floor the accelerator of occasion. I recon the percentage of Model S owner who have available but haven’t used Ludicrous Mode is the same as Model 3 P+ that have been to a track.

I don’t have the time or inclination to get to a track, but I very much do have the inclination to floor the accelerator of occasion. I recon the percentage of Model S owner who have available but haven’t used Ludicrous Mode is the same as Model 3 P+ that have been to a track.

That's sort of my point. We don't need ludicrous mode on the M3P. Its fast enough. 2.9s apparently