Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track pack is here!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have we confirmed if the pads are Track pads (like Hawk HP+ or Carbotech) or just a performance Street pad, like Hawk HPS?

If they are Track pads, then they need to be removed for normal street driving since they won't get enough heat in them like on a track.

Have we confirmed if the pads are Track pads (like Hawk HP+ or Carbotech) or just a performance Street pad, like Hawk HPS?

If they are Track pads, then they need to be removed for normal street driving since they won't get enough heat in them like on a track.
They will be a road/track pad. I think I know what they are but I need someone to confirm by taking a photo of the ID numbers.

Several of us have used proper track pads on the Model 3 Performance and I can assure you they are fine for use on the road. If you choose the correct compound you don't need any heat in them to work well from cold. Carbotech XP10, for example.

They will be a road/track pad. I think I know what they are but I need someone to confirm by taking a photo of the ID numbers.

Several of us have used proper track pads on the Model 3 Performance and I can assure you they are fine for use on the road. If you choose the correct compound you don't need any heat in them to work well from cold. Carbotech XP10, for example.
So, since the Tesla website does not explicitly say Not for Street Use, I will assume these are an equivalent to Hawk HPS. Which are just street performance pads. Not track pads at all.

Carbotech says to not use XP10 on the street. I realize you can carefully drive to the track with them installed, but they should come off after the event.

So, since the Tesla website does not explicitly say Not for Street Use, I will assume these are an equivalent to Hawk HPS. Which are just street performance pads. Not track pads at all.

Carbotech says to not use XP10 on the street.
There are different reasons why pads are not recommended for use on the street, but getting enough heat into them isn't always it.
Tesla is not going to put an extreme pad in their 'track pack' because they know most won't want to swap pads in and out.
What you define as a 'track pad' might be quite different to someone else in any case.
If you go easy, you can use the standard pads on track and I've seen owners who have done that without any problems, but they haven't been driving very fast. I think the track pack is aimed at that sort of owner.
Anyone who's done their research knows that Tesla's track pack is just a marketing exercise. If you're serious about tracking your 3 you won't want to use the pads they're offering. In fact, you won't want the factory rotors or calipers either...

Reactions: Mash
There are different reasons why pads are not recommended for use on the street, but getting enough heat into them isn't always it.
Tesla is not going to put an extreme pad in their 'track pack' because they know most won't want to swap pads in and out.
What you define as a 'track pad' might be quite different to someone else in any case.
If you go easy, you can use the standard pads on track and I've seen owners who have done that without any problems, but they haven't been driving very fast. I think the track pack is aimed at that sort of owner.
Anyone who's done their research knows that Tesla's track pack is just a marketing exercise. If you're serious about tracking your 3 you won't want to use the pads they're offering. In fact, you won't want the factory rotors or calipers either...
Agreed.

I did HPDE my old WRX on stock pads (but race brake fluid)...4 laps and the brake pedal was mush.

Then HPDE with another WRX on Carbotech track pads (w/ race brake fluid)... all day fun.

I guess calling it a Track Package with different pads and fluid makes it sound like they are offering an OEM track package that is installed pre-event and then removed....granted no one wants 20" track rims/tires. If this is just a Performance Pack+ then HPS style would make sense. Maybe HP+, but that is autocross/track and also not road legal.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
Carbotech says to not use XP10 on the street. I realize you can carefully drive to the track with them installed, but they should come off after the event.

I used XP10’s in a daily driver for years, and they performed brilliantly on road and track in all ambient temps (0-30c). The only downside was more dust and squealing at low speeds when they hadn’t been used hard for a while.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish