Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The quality of the workmanship has not even remotely been a concern of mine when it comes to Tesla. I'm more than confident that if it isn't right they won't ship it to me.
My concerns are the Federal and NJ incentives, both up in the air for me after the 31st.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally after 24 days in production 63954

Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery.

You're not on the spreadsheet?

The quality of the workmanship has not even remotely been a concern of mine when it comes to Tesla. I'm more than confident that if it isn't right they won't ship it to me.
My concerns are the Federal and NJ incentives, both up in the air for me after the 31st.

will Tesla 'sell' you the car in 2014 even if you might not get it until 2015?
I thought that happened a few times in 2012

... but the quality is what I am talking about. If they would have notified me of whats happening and discussed than maybe I would be willing to take a leap of faith. But this seems shady to me, but to each there own, etc

You're not thinking clearly and letting the situation get the best of you. The reason your car was/is delayed in the first place was because of an issue that didn't meet Tesla's quality standards. Tesla was/is already looking out for you. There's zero indication that these first P85Ds that are held up will in some way be less than perfectly good cars. Zero. Zip. Nada. Being notified of the situation or not being notified of the situation with any car has even less than zero correlation with the quality of build of a car.

- - - Updated - - -

You really think any remedial work with any other company takes 3 weeks to get it right? WOW, brainwashed. LOL!

If they're waiting for parts to come through a local port that's having issues with truckers, weather etc... Um....yeah.

Delivery

Piecing it all together, I think this is the situation:

1st batch of P85D with production 11/21-11/26 got built with defective Next Gen seats. These cars are sitting at the factory waiting for replacement Next Gen seats, but those with travel plans or cross-country deliveries are being offered the option to take delivery with regular seats now with retrofit next month when the replacements are available. I haven't been called yet, so perhaps they think the replacement seats for my car will be ready by the end of the year.
2nd batch of P85D with production 12/1 week and later are built with newer Next Gen seats (issue resolved) and are following the standard 5 day production cycle. These will be delivered in December at the usual pace and timelines.

I think you are right about this one. My car went into production on 11/21 and four weeks later I am still there. I have swapped emails with my DS and she confirmed that there were seat issues on the first batch. It seems as though we are now being penalized for being in that first batch as others that went into productions weeks later have now received their car. I have asked my DS if it is possible to get the old seats now and the new seats later to which I haven't received a response. My Vin is 63113

You really think any remedial work with any other company takes 3 weeks to get it right? WOW, brainwashed. LOL!

The remedial work doesn't usually take long, once the components, equipment and labour are all available.

I have worked for more than one automotive OEM, so brainwashing doesn't come into it. Just real world experience. How about you?

It seems as though we are now being penalized for being in that first batch as others that went into productions weeks later have now received their car.

Nobody is being 'punished'. Tesla is looking after you by not allowing you to receive your car with car seats that didn't meet a 5* safety rating. There's been a port issue that has held up a new set of seat parts for your car. Any parts that Tesla already had in stock were slated and likely specifically assigned to other cars and that's why they're waiting on a new set of parts for your car and some others.

Everybody understands your frustration over the extended wait time and that other cars produced after yours will meet their new owners before yours meets you. Do try, though, to remember that Tesla chose not to send you a car that didn't meet their standards of safety for YOU. Would you have preferred to receive your car on time with an inferior, less safe seat? No, me neither. Some things are out of your control and out of Tesla's control. Hopefully the new communications guy that was just rehired will be able to utilize this event as a teaching experience, but the fact remains, even if Tesla had been on top of communications you wouldn't be receiving your car any sooner.

I have no "real world experience". I am happy for you. South Carolina does not have a state incentive for 2014 so I am in not hurry. I understand the tax implications for those in NJ. I have read this thread.

I have read some of Jerome's emails and he suggests there are other issues besides the seats. So I am not so sure that is the only issue. I have an email out to him now. I will post his response. I think the Model S is an amazing car and I can't wait to get one. I am not happy as a future owner and company investor at the way things are done at Tesla. This situation is not boosting my confidence, no matter how bright the future seems. The plan is great but it will fail with this type of execution.

will Tesla 'sell' you the car in 2014 even if you might not get it until 2015?
I thought that happened a few times in 2012

Physical ownership is the determining factor for the Federal Tax Credit, I'd assume that the NJ incentive is the same. I do recall some cars being delivered in the evening of New Years eve in 2012 and 2013. I don't think it's legal for Tesla to back date delivery documents but IANAL.

It's not like other car makers don't do this you guys. I've heard of Ford holding all vehicles in a lot at the factory for up to a few weeks to make sure the vehicles are 100%. But with them you have less updates because you rely on dealer personnel for status updates.

I think you are right about this one. My car went into production on 11/21 and four weeks later I am still there. I have swapped emails with my DS and she confirmed that there were seat issues on the first batch. It seems as though we are now being penalized for being in that first batch as others that went into productions weeks later have now received their car. I have asked my DS if it is possible to get the old seats now and the new seats later to which I haven't received a response. My Vin is 63113

whether the next gen seat issue has been resolved & they are getting timely supply to meet the demands yet is still unclear. Mine went into Prod 12/6 and in prod as of date (day 9). Hopefully awaiting seats and no other major issues found in QA ! VIN 63587

whether the next gen seat issue has been resolved & they are getting timely supply to meet the demands yet is still unclear. Mine went into Prod 12/6 and in prod as of date (day 9). Hopefully awaiting seats and no other major issues found in QA ! VIN 63587

My P85D started production on 12/1. My car has now been "In Production" for 15 days, am trying to be patient, and am looking forward to it heading to Colorado soon... :eek:

I completely understand anyone who is frustrated by the lack of communication from Tesla.
I do not understand how that has anything to do with the quality of car that will be produced.
I know considerably more about details of my car and other's cars being made than I ever dreamed of knowing about equally expensive cars I have owned in the past.
I have heard speculation about why cars differ in level of fit and finish(made on a Monday, made on a Friday, made before a Holiday, produced at the end of a Quarter), but I have never seen a real correlation.
I think the attention to detail on All the D's whether production started 11-24 or began today will be exemplary. It is Tesla's mission and I believe it until proved differently.

I agree, I'm not fond of this change on Tesla's part. I think they made it to try and show which motors vehicles have in common.

Agree. It is no different than ICE vehicles quoting HP numbers at the crank, rather than at the wheels, which shows usable horsepower after losses in transmission/driveshaft/differential/etc.

Based on some HP/weight/0-60 comparisons, Tesla's new specs looks to be comparatively accurate with ICE cars, especially given the weight penalty

McLaren 650S 3150 lbs 641 HP 2.9 secs (RWD)
Porsche Turbo S 3550 552 2.7 (AWD)
Tesla P85D 4950 691 3.1 (AWD)