Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, and now we're starting to hear about P85D issues. My guess is this was rushed out to meet the quarter and the software/hardware aren't quite ready. The early adopters will debug it all during this beta period of 3-6 months, just like the initial Model S rollout back in 2012. Not sure I want to help debug autopilot software for Tesla...

I saw one issue. You mention issue"s" - could you point me to the others? Very interested to see the details and better understand the quality challenges you note.

Thanks for taking the time!

As for the range, there is a thread and a spreadsheet (that is not getting a lot of attention yet) for new P85D owners to record highway mileage info, so we can get a good idea of what's really happening. It's located here: P85D range and highway battery performance

I would think that if people start recording their data, it shouldn't take long to get a pretty clear picture of the P85Ds real highway numbers.

Tx. I'll check it out! This morning was interesting. Driving to work from where I live, I normally get 280 or so Wh/m (it's a gentle downhill some of the way followed by freeway).

Well, this morning in the D, I got 271. So this wasn't worse for sure. I like the idea of tracking this across the forum users. I'll check out the thread you mentioned.

A couple more new things - for the D, the "rated" mile calculation is roughly ~350Wh/m. For my 85, it was ~320. That was expected, but I forgot how this will play through. While connecting to my HPWC this morning, I noticed I was only getting 53miles of charge/hr. Normally I get 58. Well- do the math (320/350 * 58) - 53. So nothing changed, I just need to get used to new rated mile calculations.

Another thing that is nice - in My old S - the last few miles charged always disappeared once you drove the car. In other words, if you charged the car to 100miles, within the first mile of driving, you'd be down to 97 (not 99). I've always hated this. This didn't happen with my D this morning.

I understand this sentiment. But don't do this to yourself. Just imagine how you would be feeling driving your old P85+ when that P85D comes by you and you think - I regret not upgrading ;-)

Oh, one more thing - I also heard something today at the factory that has been rumored elsewhere in this thread - one of the Tesla employees mentioned that Tesla is trying to get a software update with adaptive cruise control out before the end of the year. Even if it comes in January, these autopilot upgrades are going to be very cool.

We have the same trim, and I agree, the black headliner does look nice with the grey interior.

I'm going to do a random road trip this week, first to Sacramento and then probably to Arizona and back to do some birding/astrophotography. Will throw all my drones and equatorial mounts and tripods in the back, don't need a top rack yet. However, range anxiety is real, I'm having to redo all my planned stops from back when I expected 285 mile range.

Mine finished production on 12/16 and the vehicle has been sitting idly in Fremont, so I am wondering whether they just need a critical mass of cars to fill the truck for a particular area before they send them on their way.

I had a note from Jerome in email when my car actually shipped and he indicated that they were having difficulty arranging enough transportation because of the season. I'm sure that the enormous volume of cars emerging from the black hole didn't help matters any either. I think my car took four days from completing production until it was loaded on a transport. I know that it wasn't because they needed more vehicles to fill a truck because at least three full transports worth of cars were backlogged waiting to go to Raleigh. One forum member made a truck a day or two before the rest of us, so they had more than enough cars -- the issue was arranging enough transports.

I saw one issue. You mention issue"s" - could you point me to the others? Very interested to see the details and better understand the quality challenges you note.
So far I've seen the following: next gen seats recalled due to airbag issues, software issue someone posted photos of yesterday, lane assistance seems hit or miss, something about heated steering wheels on certain cars and not on others, paint chipped on one or more cars. Those are the ones I recall in the last 5 days. Just page backward on this thread and you'll see them in the last week.

So far I've seen the following: next gen seats recalled due to airbag issues, software issue someone posted photos of yesterday, lane assistance seems hit or miss, something about heated steering wheels on certain cars and not on others, paint chipped on one or more cars. Those are the ones I recall in the last 5 days. Just page backward on this thread and you'll see them in the last week.

Heated steering wheels on some cars and not others is not a bug or problem with the car. It was simply rolled out as an option after some cars had been built. Software is being worked on and gets better so again not a reason to cancel or be overly concerned. Paint chips can happen on any car and Tesla would fix this. The main issue was the seats and that seems to have been resolved. Now it is an inventory problem making enough of them for the cars delivered with the old seats.

There was no recall of seats JB23 - they held them back at the factory because their quality process works. Lane assist is working and people are reporting it exactly like every other car that has it...subtle and like rumble strips and it seems that some are just confused about what to expect. If you could show the software issue, that would be new information - haven't seen that post and I'm sure a lot of us overlooked it (I certainly did!).

There was no recall of seats JB23 - they held them back at the factory because their quality process works. Lane assist is working and people are reporting it exactly like every other car that has it...subtle and like rumble strips and it seems that some are just confused about what to expect. If you could show the software issue, that would be new information - haven't seen that post and I'm sure a lot of us overlooked it (I certainly did!).

skilly, I was told by Tesla that the next gen seats were recalled before installation because they were having airbag deployment issues. Maybe you're just arguing semantics. And if you look back a few posts, you see Anxman's car is dead and being towed. You can certainly rationalize any issue you'd like to. My point is there is a history of shipping incomplete cars before they are ready and that is continuing with the P85D. We all get to choose to put up with it or not. I respect people who choose to put up with it, but I choose to not go through that again, and I know others who are doing the same.

- - - Updated - - -

How can you characterize this as a recall when they held ALL P85D shipments until the NG seat issues were resolved?
That was the word my Tesla rep used. Yes, it was prior to customer shipments. I think several of you are just arguing about the word recall. The point is they have seat/airbag issues and are shipping cars without the equipment customers ordered.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I spoke too soon. My P85D is totally dead before it even hit 250 miles on the odo. Tow truck en route.
Wow, that's scary. Can you elaborate on what happened? Were you driving or just got in the car and it was dead? Really interested to hear more.

Congratulations MSM but it's very frustrating that there are cars ordered after mine that are already in production. I ordered mine on November 1 with VIN 64650. I know there a lot of other folks in the same boat as me per the spreadsheet. The worse thing that could happen is that your car is built in 2014 with a 2014 VIN but not delivered until 2015. If my car isn't delivered until 2015 I would want a 2015 VIN.

skilly, I was told by Tesla that the next gen seats were recalled before installation because they were having airbag deployment issues. Maybe you're just arguing semantics. And if you look back a few posts, you see Anxman's car is dead and being towed. You can certainly rationalize any issue you'd like to. My point is there is a history of shipping incomplete cars before they are ready and that is continuing with the P85D. We all get to choose to put up with it or not. I respect people who choose to put up with it, but I choose to not go through that again, and I know others who are doing the same.

As you state issues, we circle back ultimately to a single issue in terms of quality - and that may be isolated. My point is not to say you choosing to stand back on the side lines is good or bad. Rather, in citing "issues" (which really turns out to be one - sorry Anxman!) and then tying that into quality yet the facts as of yet, don't support that.

It sounds like you had quite an experience in 2012 and continue to look through that lens and condemn the current practices as the same before they reveal themselves as that. In fact, the positivity of post delivery customers and their comments about quality have been all over the thread. Time will tell; however, I don't see it as constructive sending messages of doom and gloom before the fact. Happy for your choice, but disagree with the statements that you are making about quality - its simply too soon and so far, your examples dont seem to hold true to the point you are making.

I took delivery today. Sadly, no pictures worth sharing just yet, as the car is now in the hands of my detailer getting cleaned up and film installed before I leave for my trip. First impression matches others here:

1/ Much more refined than my P85+. You can tell the car has gone through many refinements over the past 20 months.
2/ Acceleration - it's FAST, but as the driver it didn't scare me, which may actually be a problem. You can hit triple digits (theoretically, of course) very quickly, and the ride is so quiet and smooth you won't realize it. I mostly drove in sport mode, with one launch in insane mode.
3/ On the highway I averaged 335 wH/mile on a 5-mile run at 60-70mph.
4/ The higher resolution display on the instrument cluster is much easier on the eyes.
5/ Noise - I do not think it's any noisier than my P85+. You hear the normal whine on acceleration, but while cruising it seemed fine.
6/ Stereo - yeah, it's still not great. I'll probably do the Reus system again (although they need to figure out how to mount the center tweeter as the mirror area has changed.)

I'll be sure to share pictures and more thoughts/data from my road trip over the next two weeks.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the car was delivered with 28 miles on the odo, and almost a full charge showing 238 rated miles (the techs doing the inspection went for a quick spin.) Version 6.0 (2.0.72) of the software, and an update is already pending.

Andrew