Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking shipping dates is a waste of time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are numerous threads as well as countless posts where people are concerned about their shipping dates.

It's a guesstimate, folks, it's not an exact science.

There are too many variables (including production issues, component bottlenecks, Suez Canal blockage, chip shortages, etc.), as well as an explosion in demand for EVs,
Further, I imagine quite a few people put down $100 and then changed their mind.
It's a waste of time to fixate on the dates, since it's an approximation akin to asking the wait time at a crowded restaurant...the answer will always be "5-10 minutes".
People seem concerned if the dates went from "May 15-June 1" then to "May 25-June 6" and then back to "May 18-June 3". The web page has NO WAY OF KNOWING FOR SURE.
It's not like tracking DoorDash delivery where they show you the the exact location of the delivery person
The threads have hundreds and hundreds of replies, all the same...some people are logging into their Tesla Account every day to check their expected delivery date.
You'll get your car when it's available. Right now there's a massive backlog, so expect a delay.
No need to fret if your car's expected shipping goes up or down.
I promise you... it will

/end of rant

Last edited:
If I look at the Q1 section from the spreadsheet, the bulk of deliveries happened in the 3 last weeks of March. This means the last 3 weeks of June for Q2 as a hand-wavy forecast. Some facts:

First and foremost:

May 6 some news outlet announced they were sold out for Q2

Based on the spreadsheet, the bulk of the deliveries within the last 3 weeks of march match orders placed at the latest around mid Feb.

Q2 is usually the largest quarter of the year.

There are numerous threads as well as countless posts where people are concerned about their shipping dates.

There are too many variables (including production issues, component bottlenecks, Suez Canal blockage, chip shortages, etc.), as well as an explosion in demand for EVs,
Further, I imagine quite a few people put down $100 and then changed their mind.
It's a waste of time to fixate on the dates, since it's an approximation akin to asking the wait time at a crowded restaurant...the answer will always be "5-10 minutes".
People seem concerned if the dates went from "May 15-June 1" then to "May 25-June 6" and then back to "May 18-June 3". The web page has NO WAY OF KNOWING FOR SURE.
It's not like tracking DoorDash delivery where they show you the the exact location of the delivery person
The threads have hundreds and hundreds of replies, all the same...some people are logging into their Tesla Account every day to check their expected delivery date.
You'll get your car when it's available. Right now there's a massive backlog, so expect a delay.
I promise you... it will

/end of rant
Do you go around popping children's balloons too?

As long as Tesla lives up to the estimate they gave me when I ordered my car almost 2 months ago (which was pretty much end of June at the latest), I don't really care what estimates they give me in the meantime.

I booked the month of July off from work, planing to have the car at that point. If it's not here by then, I might need to consider my Plan B options.

Reactions: travis3000

I promise you... it will

/end of rant
Sorry friend, with all do respect, you have very little understanding or knowledge of basic human nature. Why rant? They aren't harming you. Ignore them, this isn't middle school.

....wait why did I reply to you? I should take my own advice..... never mind.

Reactions: Jason1652
Sorry friend, with all do respect, you have very little understanding or knowledge of basic human nature. Why rant? They aren't harming you. Ignore them, this isn't middle school.

....wait why did I reply to you? I should take my own advice..... never mind.
Good point. I debated not posting, but decided to do so since this forum attracts so many potential owners.
Instead of learning about the car, which has a steep learning curve, they are inundated with hundreds of posts about delivery dates. People are posting about getting annoyed over a change of one or two weeks.
There are numerous threads with thousands of replies, and spreadsheets. Rather than having new visitors getting sucked into the vortex, adopting the “I check my account‘s delivery date every day” mindset, I’m appealing to newer forum members, trying to inform them of something that should be, but maybe isn’t, obvious...it’s a highly unreliable, inaccurate estimate.
I love forums and use them to learn about new products, so I visit regularly and sift through the threads.
I wonder how many important topics are missed as people fixate on why their delivery went from June 8 to June 15 then back to June 8.

I appreciate the challenge to my post as it forced me to provide the method to my madness (got lots of that!)

Reactions: play150
I can’t speak for everyone, but I’m capable of reading multiple posts and threads. I can even read the manual AND read multiple posts and threads. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s just a fun distraction for 2 months while we wait. I do agree that some take it too seriously. Getting angry because Tesla doesn’t communicate enough or because your shiny new car takes 3 months instead of 2 is a little extreme. Just chill, wait and enjoy the (lack of?) ride. Will be not filling a tank with gas soon enough. ☺️

I can’t speak for everyone, but I’m capable of reading multiple posts and threads.
All 20,000 posts?
LOL! :p
Capture.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: Zhe Wiz
Good point. I debated not posting, but decided to do so since this forum attracts so many potential owners.
Instead of learning about the car, which has a steep learning curve, they are inundated with hundreds of posts about delivery dates. People are posting about getting annoyed over a change of one or two weeks.
There are numerous threads with thousands of replies, and spreadsheets. Rather than having new visitors getting sucked into the vortex, adopting the “I check my account‘s delivery date every day” mindset, I’m appealing to newer forum members, trying to inform them of something that should be, but maybe isn’t, obvious...it’s a highly unreliable, inaccurate estimate.
I love forums and use them to learn about new products, so I visit regularly and sift through the threads.
I wonder how many important topics are missed as people fixate on why their delivery went from June 8 to June 15 then back to June 8.

I appreciate the challenge to my post as it forced me to provide the method to my madness (got lots of that!)

I thought I would address the point you made about the forum being overrun by these type posts. As evidenced by your other post, on this forum we basically contain all those posts into a specific thread (or threads) per model. Its impossible for them to run over the forum, because people simply do not need to look at the delivery threads if they are not relevant, or they are not interested.

Thats the WHY as to why all those posts are in those threads. People interested in tracking that stuff can repeatedly post to each other about it, while people not interested in it can move on to something else, and because they are contained in just a few threads they dont push other content off the forum.

This is something we do throughout this forum, actually, not just with "delivery tracking". Some dont like it because they say " I am not going to read that long !#!@#!#$ thread, I have a question and I know someone can answer it quickly so I am going to post it separately even though it probably goes in that big @!#$! thread".

If a topic is so heavily discussed that multiple posts would overrun the forum, we do this with it ( like "Whats up everyone, I picked up my model 3 two weeks ago and drove a bunch of short trips during the week that totaled 120 miles but I need to charge again?!?!?!?!? WTF is up with that, my car is defective, right?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!")

So, the point you make about a forum getting overrun with that stuff isnt accurate here, as its contained, so people can excitedly post to each other about it if they want to, without bothering anyone else.