Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in and final review process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent about a bunch of photos of my old car to my sales adviser and was given a trade-in estimate which was agreeable to me. I was then instructed and have completed the trade-in section of the My Tesla page. Roughly how long does it take for an official offer to be made there? What other steps will occur before a guaranteed offer is made? Will those steps need to be done before that section is marked as "completed"?

Also, I have an option to request a final document review, but it seems odd to be presented with that when my task list is only 5 out of 6 complete.

Thoughts and advice are appreciated.

That's the only thing on mine 'not completed' also, and it's the only one out of our control. Also, you can get a quote from some 3rd parties and they will honor it, I'm told. I believe they accept CarMax and perhaps Vroom (name change recently?). I'm looking for the definitive list also since Tesla's quotes are usually lower. Going to do that closed to delivery since quotes are usually good for 30 days.

I got a quote on my BMW a while back before I ordered (to get a ballpark estimate) by stopping by my Service Center, and one of the OA's took some photos, the VIN, etc. and it only was a couple of days until I had a quote. But again, they said try elsewhere and we'll match it.

Does anyone have the current list of whose quotes Tesla will match?

I went to CarMax and got a quote as well. Turns out that my SA's estimate, not official quote, was higher. Also, in Texas, sales tax is calculated against (car price - trade in), so even if the official quote is a little lower can CarMax, there's still a chance I'll end up saving more by trading the car to Tesla.

Thoughts on proceeding with "request final paperwork" even with though trade-in is in "preparing offer" status?

I went to CarMax and got a quote as well. Turns out that my SA's estimate, not official quote, was higher. Also, in Texas, sales tax is calculated against (car price - trade in), so even if the official quote is a little lower can CarMax, there's still a chance I'll end up saving more by trading the car to Tesla.

Thoughts on proceeding with "request final paperwork" even with though trade-in is in "preparing offer" status?
I've done that, clicked on the 'request' button. I believe you can still change your trade in quote.

And what I meant about CarMax wasn't trading in to them, but having Tesla match their quote. They are supposed to accept/match quotes from several other places as I mentioned. Then you can get the sales tax break (not sure I get the same in Virginia. :). )

I did exactly that last December when buying my S90D. All the paperwork that followed in the 6-8 weeks leading up to delivery had the same trade in amount, as did the final deal. So I had very good results with trading to Tesla. For me (in WA) the sales tax savings would have required an additional $4k in private sale to break even, and I didn't have the extended warranty so that would have been another 4k I expect a private seller would require.

All in all, I found the convenience worth it and everything went smoothly. Best of luck on your sale/trade.

Update: I submitted all the info to Tesla and completed the trade-in self assessment. They confirmed the offer via My Tesla which matched the estimate given to me by the SA which is good. The problem however is that the offer is good for 14 days or 500 miles, but my MS won't arrive until late September.

So I guess I'll just let the offer expire and resubmit once a firmer delivery date is established...

Update: I submitted all the info to Tesla and completed the trade-in self assessment. They confirmed the offer via My Tesla which matched the estimate given to me by the SA which is good. The problem however is that the offer is good for 14 days or 500 miles, but my MS won't arrive until late September.

So I guess I'll just let the offer expire and resubmit once a firmer delivery date is established...

Yep. Same deal with CarMax. You can go now and get a quote, it'll be good for 7 days. This will give you a ballpark figure for what they will offer you. Then 7 days before you take delivery, get another quote. Tesla will price match CarMax if it's higher. I'll be taking delivery at the end of September also, and this is the process my OA laid out for me.

I kept hearing about Carmax doing special 14 day quotes for Tesla trade ins since they get the car right back but I'm there now and they never heard of such a thing. So I guess I'll have to do it over again if their answer is better than Tesla's trade in deal. Love how none of this is a constant!

The guy says it can't work like that since the title transfer would take too long for Tesla to be able to sell it back to CarMax. Dunno if that's correct or not.

I kept hearing about Carmax doing special 14 day quotes for Tesla trade ins since they get the car right back but I'm there now and they never heard of such a thing. So I guess I'll have to do it over again if their answer is better than Tesla's trade in deal. Love how none of this is a constant!

The guy says it can't work like that since the title transfer would take too long for Tesla to be able to sell it back to CarMax. Dunno if that's correct or not.
Sooo.... then after the appraisal, he comes back and says they *do* work with Tesla and, no problem, come back and get it reappraised if you need more than a week... you'd think they would have had more people do this, but maybe they have so many salespeople, they don't all know everything. The original person I had an appointment with was out, and they didn't know anything that I put in the website, either. Not impressive. The final quote was the same as with Vroom, so, it will be better than Tesla gives me, I'm sure. (Which I still don't have the final answer after a week.)

Update.

My trade offer expired just days before my car finished production. As it was being transported to the service center for delivery, my DS asked for an updated photo of the odometer. Shortly afterwards, he responded that Tesla will still offer the same trade in value as before. My Tesla updated with a final payment section with the amount due and my DS sent me PDFs of the MVPA and the Monroney sticker. All the numbers lined up, I paid, and it was generally painless.

Delivery is TOMORROW, 9/9!!!!!!

And to close the loop on my story, I sent the CarMax quote to my DS, he said he would have to send it out to their 'remarketers', and I had a confirmed trade-in commitment in less than 30 minutes on a Friday night for the CarMax amount. So, that part is taken care of! Makes you think they actually do resell the cars and don't just send them back to CarMax, since I know they can get $1500 or $2000 more for this car at retail, but we've always been told Tesla just sends them back to CarMax or whoever...

I think it might depend on the area I got a quote from CarMax and one from Tesla and the Tesla quote was 2k more then them. I tried my original dealership, kbb, cars.com, and vroom. I think if you have enough equity in the car and your state takes into account the tax savings for trade in then it might make more sense to trade in even if they give you a lower offer.

I think it might depend on the area I got a quote from CarMax and one from Tesla and the Tesla quote was 2k more then them. I tried my original dealership, kbb, cars.com, and vroom. I think if you have enough equity in the car and your state takes into account the tax savings for trade in then it might make more sense to trade in even if they give you a lower offer.
Tesla was more than CarMax? That's rare! And I was looking for the simplicity of Tesla handling it. Virginia doesn't do the net price for registration tax, unfortunately. But Tesla will take care of the transaction, transfer the plates, that sort of thing.