Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in my 2015 S 85D for a model 3 p3+? 6 months left on warranty!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a call from Tesla in the Seattle area saying I could be part of the end of quarter rodeo if I want and trade in. The thing that made me start thinking about it was I have 6 months left on my 4 year warranty, and I have a low mileage car, about 37k.

The model 3 is missing two features that really matter to me - the web browser (for tesla waze), and the roof rack. I use mine a lot because in the winter I ski.

It should be that:

• the rumored web browser in v9 will come to the model 3, can someone tell me?
  • I can get a decent trade in on my car, like 50k? Looked at ev-cpo.com to price my car and subtract 5k, is that a reasonable difference?
  • The 3 will drive about as good as my S on roads to the ski area?
  • I can put skis for 3 or 4 people in a folded down seat, or someone will figure out how to do a roof rack?
This is my second S, and I don't know what it will be like to own one past the 4 year warranty. But with a big trade in, a model 3 is that not expensive. Other people must face this, please let me know what you did.

I love my model S, but the slow web browser, potential to get more range and the color I want is overriding my financial sense. Plus that expiring 7500 off. The caller from Tesla offer me an extra 3% on my trade in, so on a 50k trade in that's "only" 1500. Plus lifetime supercharging. I think current cars only have internet for a year? Should I ask for that?

It should be that:

• the rumored web browser in v9 will come to the model 3, can someone tell me?
  • I can get a decent trade in on my car, like 50k? Looked at ev-cpo.com to price my car and subtract 5k, is that a reasonable difference?
  • The 3 will drive about as good as my S on roads to the ski area?
  • I can put skis for 3 or 4 people in a folded down seat, or someone will figure out how to do a roof rack?

Leaked images of V9 shows that the Model 3 is getting the web browser, (Of course we don't know how it will work yet, like is it just a pop-up over the map?) and people have shown mount points for a roof rack on the Model 3. It should drive just as good on the roads, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Only Tesla can tell you what they will give you for a trade-in value...

I made the plunge today, I took delivery of my P3D+ and I'm planning on selling my S85 from '14. It's a wonderful car, but definitely smaller than the S. Especially with cargo room and rear passenger width. Other than that, build quality is much better than my S, and will have EAP (and possibly FSD) capabilities, and it's just a total joy to drive and I'm loving it.

The 3 also offers AWD, so driving to skiing shouldn't be a problem.

Can't wait until tomorrow so I can drive it again :)

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I traded in my P85+ with relatively low miles (2013 with 44k miles) for the P3D+. I expect a higher trade-in offer for your vehicle than $50k, presumably closer to $54k or $55k.
  • Roof racks might be coming later, but we have no confirmation. Here is a model 3 being tested with a roof rack: Tesla Model 3 spotted testing with roof racks
  • Conversely, you can do the suction cup roof rack until the official solution is available.
  • The CPO - 5000 seems like a fair estimate. I was offered 2K less than the top estimate of KBB private party, so I accepted their offer because it was less hassle for me.
  • Snow driving of 3 vs S will largely depend on tires and whether or not you used the air suspension to clear the snow plow buildup.
For me, the interior does not feel as luxurious, but it is simple and gets the job done. The seats are more comfortable than my first gen performance seats. No, you won't have Alcantara headliners or door panels, no you won't get wood on the center console, but you will get a capable car that is nimble, quick, and mechanically less complex with AP2.5 hardware.
If you get the P3D you might be able to still get the lifetime supercharging. It was rumored that the back end still supports it unofficially until the end of the month, but publicly the lifetime supercharging has been discontinued. The premium connectivity (internet) is indeed only for a year and after that will be $100/month unless you purchased before I think it was July 15.

I recommend taking one for a test drive, they even have overnights if you are considering it. See if you like the single screen and no instrument panel, see if you mind the door handles that don't auto-present. Time is running out before the end of the month (and this end of the quarter) and they will likely stop being so aggressive with their sales pitch until the next end of quarter.

I ended up not upgrading, but I still think about it, since my warranty runs out early next year. Upgrade or buy extended warranty.

With v9 out, my web browser experience seems faster than before. I probably should take this chance to get a new car, right? I realized I have two separate model 3 choices: p3+ and buy 18" winter/all season tires or awd probably non-perf. I feel a tiny regret in giving up my great model s85d, roof rack, and free supercharging - it's been so great and works well in the winter in the PNW. If they brought back the lifetime supercharging, I'd be in.

I feel like playing chicken and seeing if it comes back for a second at the end of the year.

They will likely have more incentives at some point.
If you have a car that works now, it be simpler/cheaper to do the extended warranty. With your low miles it might be worth the risk of no extended warranty for a couple of years. Naturally if you easily afford it then get the warranty, will be better for private sale in the future.

Obviously if you can wait another year or two the M3 will get better and better. Maybe you will be tempted by the MY in 2 years?
If money is fine, then perhaps an upgraded MS in 2020 would work better.

They will likely have more incentives at some point.
If you have a car that works now, it be simpler/cheaper to do the extended warranty. With your low miles it might be worth the risk of no extended warranty for a couple of years. Naturally if you easily afford it then get the warranty, will be better for private sale in the future.

Obviously if you can wait another year or two the M3 will get better and better. Maybe you will be tempted by the MY in 2 years?
If money is fine, then perhaps an upgraded MS in 2020 would work better.

The rumors suggest upgraded model S a year from now - they like to do that in October. March 2019 is the intro of the model y. It's hard to avoid the shiny.