Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in offer ouch!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wholly crap. Just got my trade in offer from Tesla for my 14 Lexus GS Fsport. They could have at least sent some vaseline with the offer. 14000 for a car that’s in beautiful shape. Tru car at least offered 18500. I’ll see what Carmax offers this weekend but damn! I understand they don’t sell used cars and it would go straight to auction but I shouldn’t just hand over an extra 4-6 grand for doing very little! Sorry just needed to vent!

It's pretty clear that they don't want you to trade in because they don't want to have to deal with non-Tesla used cars, and if you insist on doing it, they're going to make the profit margins worthwhile for them to deal with that crap.

If you want the best price for your car, sell it private party.

Exactly this.

Though depending on the gap, and how your specific state deals with sales tax on trade ins, taking a lower amount via trade in might still make sense for some folks (but not others)

• Informative
Reactions: F14Scott
As @run-the-joules mentioned you’ll get the best offer if you sell it privately. You think your offer was bad? They must not want Tesla’s either because I also received a trade in quote last week for my 2018 Model 3.

It was a shocking 40K. Privately, similarly equipped Model 3’s are selling for anywhere between 45-48K in my area. Onlyusedteslas.com is a good place to look. I’m not selling but was just curious what Tesla would offer.

My car:
2018 LR AWD MSM EAP/FSD HW3 18” Aeros. 6K miles. Full XPEL PPF.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
As @run-the-joules mentioned you’ll get the best offer if you sell it privately. You think your offer was bad? They must not want Tesla’s either because I also received a trade in quote last week for my 2018 Model 3.

It was a shocking 40K. Privately, similarly equipped Model 3’s are selling for anywhere between 45-48K in my area. Onlyusedteslas.com is a good place to look. I’m not selling but was just curious what Tesla would offer.

My car:
2018 LR AWD MSM EAP/FSD HW3 18” Aeros. 6K miles. Full XPEL PPF.
wow they offered you 40k, they low balled me even worse for my 2019 first production with EAP and FSD 11k miles and they offer me 29k!!! Sold it private part for way more and then ordered the P

Also try AutolendersGo.

I was trading in an 18 month old BMW 320i with about 4k miles on it (it was a leftover so lost a little because it was really considered another year old). I tried Tesla, other dealers, and other online or bulk car buyers (including Carvana) and they all low balled me at like 17-19k.Autolendersgo gave me like 26k for the car. Huge difference.

I got enough to pay off the loan on my car and a little tiny amount of change in my pocket.

Check them out.

I am in the process of getting a new Tesla Model 3, and I wanted to trade-in my 2015 Model S 85. I checked KBB to have an idea about the value and it showed between 35000 to 38000 if the car was in good condition. Tesla offered me 27800, and Carmax disrespectfully offered me 25000. Carvana is offering me 33400, so I think I will go with them.

I had a 2013 Kia Optima EX.

Truecar, Cars.com and Vroom offered $6500.
Tesla offered $5000.

Then I hit up Carvana and they paid my $8300 for it. I was blown away. Definitely recommend Carvana.
When I got quotes on my minivan when buying my M3 Carvana was the worst. They offered me about $3k less than Tesla. CarMax offered me more than $2k over Tesla’s original offer but at the time Tesla was matching CarMax so that’s what I did.

Weird how they all differ sometimes. Must be related to location.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Also try AutolendersGo.

I was trading in an 18 month old BMW 320i with about 4k miles on it (it was a leftover so lost a little because it was really considered another year old). I tried Tesla, other dealers, and other online or bulk car buyers (including Carvana) and they all low balled me at like 17-19k.Autolendersgo gave me like 26k for the car. Huge difference.

I got enough to pay off the loan on my car and a little tiny amount of change in my pocket.

Check them out.
Haha....... I just tried their site and here’s what I got. I know it’s an estimated value but this is hilarious.
40991F4A-7366-4B85-A600-FC5D34CC6225.jpeg