Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in offer times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just because you did it doesn't mean he'll be able to as well. Tesla's offers seem to be all over the place, some people report getting bad lowballs and others say they got decent offers.
I don't argue that. To your point, there appears to be no rhyme or reason to their offers. I just don’t trust them, but that doesn't mean one shouldn't ask.

Tesla is the best place to buy new but worse place for a fair trade-in value. If you prefer sheer convenience over money. Be my guest .
This is ALWAYS the case with trading in at any dealer. A “great trade in” is clawed back someone else in the deal, especially if you’re financing or buying addons like warranties. The difference at Tesla is it’s all transparent and there’s no addons or ways to hide the numbers. They are also buying sight unseen so you’re getting a price which assumes there could be some issues to rectify.

In Ontario, remember that you only pay HST on the vehicle price AFTER trade in - if you don’t trade in you pay tax on the whole price - this can make a few thousand difference too.

Generally speaking, if you want the best price for your car, know what it’s worth and it’s in decent condition, always sell privately. But also know you’ll have some hassle.

Their trade in offers are terrible. Was easily able to sell my wife's X1 above their trade in + tax offer last year when we picked up a MYP

A dealer trade-on price should always be considered the lowest about that you can get for a car. Private sale is pretty much the highest.

A dealer is going to take a small markup before they sale it to the wholesaler. The wholesaler may take a markup as they sale it to another dealer or to an auction house, then the dealer that buys it is going to take another markup.

Private sale, no markups.

I just got offered 31k, same make/model/year on Autotrader goes for about 37-40k. Problem is, I'd need to get at least 35k from a private sale to break even (31 x 1.13) because when you trade in you only pay tax on the difference. I might be able to get an extra 1-2k with a private sale, but is that small amount of money worth the time and hassle, and not to mention the risk of getting scammed? In my opinion it isn't. I think I'm just gonna accept Tesla's offer even if I think it's a bit low.

Question for you guys: Anyone ever hear of Tesla paying extra for a second set of winter wheels? I don't wanna give them away with my trade in for free but I'd rather not go through the hassle of selling them privately.

Question for you guys: Anyone ever hear of Tesla paying extra for a second set of winter wheels? I don't wanna give them away with my trade in for free but I'd rather not go through the hassle of selling them privately.
Pretty sure they won’t pay for any extras. They’ll expect the factory wheels to be on the car, with whatever tires are on them. Best to sell your other set separately, not that big a deal on Kijiji and might net you $1-2k, making your Tesla trade price just as good as a private sale really.

Beware of changing trade in offers if delivery takes over 30 days. I placed order in Jan for Y, got trade in offer $3,400 for 2011 AudiA4. By the time I got a VIN in May, price had gone down by $1000 despite same mileage and new inspection sticker in April so I sold to Car Max for the original $3,400. Super easy. Got on-line quote, drove it in, walked out about 30 min later with bank check in hand.

Reactions: Esan na
It can go both ways. It will depend on how the market changes in that 30 days.

I had my initial offer, which was better than competitive flat buyout offers when considering the tax rebate as well.

When my first 30 days went up I updated my odometer to have an additional 2K kms and my trade in offer went UP $1k.

The competitive cash buyout offers also went up, but only by $500-$600. The gap was in Tesla's favor by over $1,500 after tax rebate at this point.
I was able to take delivery and trade in before the second quote expired.

Based on average advertised price, if I sold for those prices I lost out on ~$1-2k (maybe) vs selling privately. Probably not even as I learned one of my stone chips meant that a windshield replacement was needed to re-safety. In my situation I also preferred to not deal with test pilots, lowballs and to just hand over the keys,

No solution is right or wrong. Take the opportunity to explore your options and go with what's best for you.

Beware of changing trade in offers if delivery takes over 30 days. I placed order in Jan for Y, got trade in offer $3,400 for 2011 AudiA4. By the time I got a VIN in May, price had gone down by $1000 despite same mileage and new inspection sticker in April so I sold to Car Max for the original $3,400. Super easy. Got on-line quote, drove it in, walked out about 30 min later with bank check in hand.
FYI when you get an offer you are linked to their trade-in info page - Trade-Ins | Tesla Support Canada. This includes:
Trade-in offers are valid for 30 days or 1,600 kilometers, whichever comes first, and are contingent on the information you provide about the vehicle being accurate.