Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-in query

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

So I have an agreed upon price with Tesla for my BMW. This is about a grand lower than what I’ve been offered by other parties but no big deal.

My issue is that the wife has managed to curb the front and back alloys today, and I was wondering how in detail the Tesla guys go to during the whole hand off. They obviously haven’t seen the car before, so just wondering whether to preempt or not?

Thanks all.

So I have an agreed upon price with Tesla for my BMW. This is about a grand lower than what I’ve been offered by other parties but no big deal.

My issue is that the wife has managed to curb the front and back alloys today, and I was wondering how in detail the Tesla guys go to during the whole hand off. They obviously haven’t seen the car before, so just wondering whether to preempt or not?

Thanks all.

They do not care about the trade ins as long the car works, the cars go straight to auction, nobody has ever reported an issue with trading cars into Tesla.

FYI I traded in my vehicle with curbed wheels one especially curbed as it was the spare wheel that I just put on as Webuyanycar pointed out the current one was extremely low!

Webuyanycar will always knock you down by a load of money as they are sending them to auction for me it was by a grand which then made Teslas price better!

How bad is the kerb rash? A wheel refurb is around £50 a wheel. Might pay off to get them repaired.

No way should you pay to get them repaired before trading in to Tesla that's a complete waste of money as they won't give you a higher valuation and they certainly aren't going to inspect the wheels, they have bigger concerns like getting the deliveries out.

Imagine they say we are going to knock £100 off the car for scuffed wheels, now they have to go through all the paperwork that would take days to process as they can't raise it at collection and needs to be done by the remote finance team. You would then need to make a bank transfer and it then needs to clear which would take at least a day.

Tesla offer basically what they will get at auction for the car, they really are not bothered as long as it works, if they lose out by a small margin at auction it would be absorbed into their profits.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewpost
Also worth noting is that Tesla will honour your quote till car is delivered. So whilst you are waiting for your car, trade in value is not depreciating as it does with the other quotes we got. Likewise, a couple of weeks before collection, sods law our 9k service light came on - Tesla said not to bother sorting due to what was said above.

That all said, ours was not worth much, so differences in prices not huge amount. Different story if it was significant difference.

Also worth noting is that Tesla will honour your quote till car is delivered. So whilst you are waiting for your car, trade in value is not depreciating as it does with the other quotes we got. Likewise, a couple of weeks before collection, sods law our 9k service light came on - Tesla said not to bother sorting due to what was said above.

That all said, ours was not worth much, so differences in prices not huge amount. Different story if it was significant difference.

Was going to say the same. I accepted Tesla's trade in, which was on the lower side of all the other online quotes I got. But the other quotes were only valid for seven days and no doubt would have been negotiated lower for reasons spurious or not! As mentioned above the Tesla quote is valid until the Model 3 turns up, which could easily be seven weeks plus as opposed to the seven days life of the other quotes.

I tend to factor in a cost for hassle and time saved on my part as well. If selling privately either from home or by other website were to be time consuming and cause some angst I'm happy to accept a lower value (to a degree) to avoid that.

Reactions: drewpost

As long as you reply back and accept their quote then you should be fine, unfortunately for me I tried to sell it privately and when I came back Tesla was offering me less money, so I would advise to lock in the quote and worst case if you sell privately then just pay the difference but at least you'll get the better quote!

Was going to say the same. I accepted Tesla's trade in, which was on the lower side of all the other online quotes I got. But the other quotes were only valid for seven days and no doubt would have been negotiated lower for reasons spurious or not! As mentioned above the Tesla quote is valid until the Model 3 turns up, which could easily be seven weeks plus as opposed to the seven days life of the other quotes.

I tend to factor in a cost for hassle and time saved on my part as well. If selling privately either from home or by other website were to be time consuming and cause some angst I'm happy to accept a lower value (to a degree) to avoid that.

If you're getting an inventory car, you can ask Tesla for a 7 or 30 day quote which will be a higher value as it takes out that risk mitigation amount that Tesla take off of the long term trade in valuations. (this is what I did as it was only 2 days between ordering and taking delivery).

Reactions: Masklin
They do not care about the trade ins as long the car works, the cars go straight to auction, nobody has ever reported an issue with trading cars into Tesla.

I have started to see them sending some of the traded-in cars to service centres as loaners if they are nice enough. Brooklands has a couple of Audis and Mercs that were trade ins that they have on hand as loaners.

When I collected mine they didn't inspect the car at all. I also had a nasty curbed part of the wheel and the tyre actually, I also had a bad stone chip/dent on the bonnet. They didn't care about any of it, the only thing they did was check the mileage for their paperwork.

For me, it was about the same difference in price as you said about - £1k ish - however, I wanted the convenience and security of being able to walk away on the delivery day, just in case.

Piling on - again the same experience. £1k less than webuyanycar but there was 2 months delay between order and delivery which didn't matter to Telsa - the trade in price was locked in. Also on delivery they must have spent 10 seconds checking my trade in - basically to see if the reg and the vins matched.

If you're getting an inventory car, you can ask Tesla for a 7 or 30 day quote which will be a higher value as it takes out that risk mitigation amount that Tesla take off of the long term trade in valuations. (this is what I did as it was only 2 days between ordering and taking delivery).

My Model 3 is a custom order, don’t expect it to be delivered till March at the earliest. Ordered 12th Jan, no hidden VIN or anything yet, not in any particular rush.

Webuyanycar will always knock you down by a load of money as they are sending them to auction for me it was by a grand which then made Teslas price better!

They only knock you down if there are things they can list which lower the value.

So if you do have stone chips, wheel damage etc. then trade-in to Tesla is the better option.

If the car really is completely clean then there are better options, but very few cars really are completely clean...

Reactions: Rooster6655
£17500 for my 420 GC. 15 months old and cost £40300 (yes I was annnoyed I wasn’t paying attention to the luxury car tax). I’d hoped a big dealer contribution + 0% pcp would give me a fighting chance of settling early, but doesn’t look like it.