Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in values seem high again ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I think I have made up my mind what I will do, I made a list of what I liked about my 2020 MP3 against and a brand new M3P.

For the new car

Well its brand new and the full warranty period, plus -

Heated Steering wheel, electric boot, The new drive motor 3D6, Ryzen MCU3, Lithium Iron auxiliary battery, Matrix headlamps and new tail lights with two reversing lamps, Heat Pump, The door/Dash wrap around on the door cards, Laminated front and rear door windows.

Additional factors to support a new car

The very good trade in estimation from Tesla for my car (more than I paid)

Relatively small amount of money to contribute for all the above benefits.

New 72 registration plate

What I don’t like about the new car-

The possibility (that’s been mentioned) of a significant refresh of the M3 in Q4 this year

The Uberturbines – I don’t like the look of them plus they are now 9” wide (Turbines were 8.5 inches wide) but the same width tyres that have been stretched to fit – they look bloody odd

The Pirelli Tyres – much prefer the Michelin PS4s

The Chrome delete – anodised black deteriorates quickly and stains/fading appears and looks shabby – its not very durable (Nice when new though)

The plastic front wing indicators/camera units

The Alcantara insert panel on the doors of a specified white interior (I like Alcantara but if I’m paying £1000 to change from black to white then the inset panel in white leather looks classy)

The hard plastic bottom section of the door cards

The centre console (the 2021 update) I prefer the old style

Removal of passenger seat lumber support

Factors that support keeping my car-

Most of the accessories I bought for my 2020 M3p are not transferable

My car was 12 months old when I got it and the paintwork wasn’t to my standard so its been paint corrected/detailed and carnauba waxed – shines much better than new and no paint adherence issues. Looks pristine

No faults and panel gaps are pretty good, only 7000 miles and drives superbly, I love the turbines and all the Chrome, no rattles or squeaks, 2 years warranty left plus 6 years on drivetrain and battery, FSD equipped (even if it doesn’t work as advertised except on quiet motorways – it is getting better with each software update and one day I’m sure most of the niggles will be ironed out)

I can equip my car with electric boot and frunk for about £800, new rear lights with two reversing lamps and sequential indicators about £600.

I only drive around 1200 miles per year since I retired – 11 years ago. The question was asked “Ever considered just using Taxi’s” fair point – but – I love cars, love detailing them, will always own a car right up to my last breath.

Tesla remains to me the EV market leader and its charge network is superb; however, the network may well be opened up to all and that would be a negative. Tesla’s current obsession in penny pinching and removing small things from the car seems to have made them deviate from creating the very best EV they can build to one of providing something adequate to satisfy the greed of chasing profit over exceeding expectations.

Other manufacturers (VAG) are producing some real alternatives, If I wait another 12 months there may well be a new design M3P (It is about due as its on its 5th year), there may be alternatives to Tesla to consider and my car is fantastic anyway, all I can see changing is the value of mine

As you can see my head is ruling at the moment, by tomorrow – or even later today my heart may have taken over.
That sums up my thoughts pretty much exactly, right down to the spinning wheel of indecision!
I’d add that I have the resistive heater which warms the car in minutes without wheezing or puffing. I have FSD now. I worry (probably unecessarily) that the beta will be suddenly unleashed in the U.K. and the price ramped up before I make my mind up.….and then there’s 3 or Y 😂

Laminated front and rear door windows.
Relatively small point, but rear windows are not laminated on the M3 (at the moment).

Your lists make a lot of sense. Given the pros & cons you have, I'd change to the new one personally. But then, the longest I've owned a car is 14 months since changing to EVs :) It's not often you are able to change to a brand new car with so little outlay. EV residuals are not going to stay like this forever.

the quote is just an estimate but then you send pictures and they give you a firm offer that if assigned to an order within 7 days will be honoured when the new car is delivered (subject to mileage not going up more than about 1200miles per month and no damage not apparent on the pictures)
BUT
The delivery has to be within 60 days of the offer or it expires.
Many of us had offers we expected to be able to use but due to the factory shutdown they will expire before the car is delivered unfortunately
I don't think you do apparently not tried though waiting untill I am within 60 days of the end of June. Since it will probably be by then or August

OK, I think I have made up my mind what I will do, I made a list of what I liked about my 2020 MP3 against and a brand new M3P.

For the new car

Well its brand new and the full warranty period, plus -

Heated Steering wheel, electric boot, The new drive motor 3D6, Ryzen MCU3, Lithium Iron auxiliary battery, Matrix headlamps and new tail lights with two reversing lamps, Heat Pump, The door/Dash wrap around on the door cards, Laminated front and rear door windows.

Additional factors to support a new car

The very good trade in estimation from Tesla for my car (more than I paid)

Relatively small amount of money to contribute for all the above benefits.

New 72 registration plate

What I don’t like about the new car-

The possibility (that’s been mentioned) of a significant refresh of the M3 in Q4 this year

The Uberturbines – I don’t like the look of them plus they are now 9” wide (Turbines were 8.5 inches wide) but the same width tyres that have been stretched to fit – they look bloody odd

The Pirelli Tyres – much prefer the Michelin PS4s

The Chrome delete – anodised black deteriorates quickly and stains/fading appears and looks shabby – its not very durable (Nice when new though)

The plastic front wing indicators/camera units

The Alcantara insert panel on the doors of a specified white interior (I like Alcantara but if I’m paying £1000 to change from black to white then the inset panel in white leather looks classy)

The hard plastic bottom section of the door cards

The centre console (the 2021 update) I prefer the old style

Removal of passenger seat lumber support

Factors that support keeping my car-

Most of the accessories I bought for my 2020 M3p are not transferable

My car was 12 months old when I got it and the paintwork wasn’t to my standard so its been paint corrected/detailed and carnauba waxed – shines much better than new and no paint adherence issues. Looks pristine

No faults and panel gaps are pretty good, only 7000 miles and drives superbly, I love the turbines and all the Chrome, no rattles or squeaks, 2 years warranty left plus 6 years on drivetrain and battery, FSD equipped (even if it doesn’t work as advertised except on quiet motorways – it is getting better with each software update and one day I’m sure most of the niggles will be ironed out)

I can equip my car with electric boot and frunk for about £800, new rear lights with two reversing lamps and sequential indicators about £600.

I only drive around 1200 miles per year since I retired – 11 years ago. The question was asked “Ever considered just using Taxi’s” fair point – but – I love cars, love detailing them, will always own a car right up to my last breath.

Tesla remains to me the EV market leader and its charge network is superb; however, the network may well be opened up to all and that would be a negative. Tesla’s current obsession in penny pinching and removing small things from the car seems to have made them deviate from creating the very best EV they can build to one of providing something adequate to satisfy the greed of chasing profit over exceeding expectations.

Other manufacturers (VAG) are producing some real alternatives, If I wait another 12 months there may well be a new design M3P (It is about due as its on its 5th year), there may be alternatives to Tesla to consider and my car is fantastic anyway, all I can see changing is the value of mine

As you can see my head is ruling at the moment, by tomorrow – or even later today my heart may have taken over.
To add another consideration..

I’m in the same boat as you. Not retired, but doing minimal miles, about the same as you.

What if you upgrade and there *is* a major update at the end of the year? I personally think parts shortages are going to continue until at least 2023, so I don’t think residuals are going to crash any time soon. If you’re doing such little mileage, are you really going to feel the benefits of the newer car?

You’ve said you like the chrome, so that’s going to be something you’ll no longer see every time you look at the car. And, like me, you spend more time looking at it than driving it.

My gut feeling at the moment about upgrading is that I’d be upgrading for the sake of it, and there’s a very good chance I’d feel the same in another 2 years, or even sooner if there’s a major update by the end of the year. I would be gutted if I upgraded now and within 6 months there’s a significant change.

There’s no “right” answer with this.

Incidentally I would not be so sure you can just buy the latest rear lights and get them working. Everything on the car is coded, and since the new car has two reversing lights it will need to “know” that you have the newer lights, which means Tesla would have to code them to the car, which they might not be willing to do.

To add another consideration..

You’ve said you like the chrome, so that’s going to be something you’ll no longer see every time you look at the car. And, like me, you spend more time looking at it than driving it.

I would be gutted if I upgraded now and within 6 months there’s a significant change.

Incidentally I would not be so sure you can just buy the latest rear lights and get them working. Everything on the car is coded, and since the new car has two reversing lights it will need to “know” that you have the newer lights, which means Tesla would have to code them to the car, which they might not be willing to do.
The Chrome - I've accepted that at some point i will change car and I know I'm going to loose the Chrome but perhaps another 12 months with it and i wont be so precious about it - if Tesla adds something else that's a bit Wow - like a major facelift.

I too would be "gutted" if i take delivery of a brand new car and a month later a facelift is released - instant devaluation for a start - and then having the "old model"

The rear lights - not thinking of the Tesla ones at all - the ones i have seen are aftermarket from the USA and are plug and play (they say)
Also seen a rather tempting replacement for the front fog lights - multi led's and reflectors plus a signal from the side indicator is fed in and when not in fog light mode they provide sequential indicators at the front.

@Kansalis - Your not helping mate with my decision making :confused:- your right - Its not often you get a chance to get a brand new car with so little outlay.

I too would be "gutted" if i take delivery of a brand new car and a month later a facelift is released - instant devaluation for a start - and then having the "old model"

Tesla seem to have created some weird 'FOMO' culture with their cars. We've had a X for 5 years now, our current car is literally about to tick over 50K this weekend. The car has much more functionality than new, and when FSD beta eventually goes live in Europe it'll have more functionality than brand new cars from pretty much every other brand.

A quick glance of the news headlines shows just how awful life can be, and just how lucky we all are. If you want a brand new car every few years go for it, but equally 'worrying' about changes in Tesla hardware will have zero beneficial impact on what really matters in your life.

Ours is feels like part of the family now, rather than just a car.

52024551779_6b30593509_c_d.jpg

Reactions: Dasher
I personally think parts shortages are going to continue until at least 2023, so I don’t think residuals are going to crash any time soon.

I think demand for EV is increasing each year. Lets say it is X now and 2X when you change your car. So demand for BOTH new and 2nd hand will be 2X compared to the time you bought it. That has to keep demand strong, surely?

Price of a new EV plummeting (£Pound strengthens massively against the $Dollar, or new high density batteries at half-the-price) would kybosh that ... I'm not counting that as a Big Risk :)

There aren't any M3Ps coming until August though, are there? Or was this some time ago?
I ordered on 15th March when orders had an estimated delivery of May on the configurator, and it still says that EDD on my account. I would say that is unlikely but I'm hopeful if all goes well in China over the next few weeks I can get my car before 25th June when the trade in valuation will expire.