Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading Model 3 with FSD for Model Y with FSD [complaint about FSD pricing].

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I considered trading my Model 3 LR with FSD for Model Y AWD with FSD, but decided not to because I paid $7,000 for FSD on the Model 3and I would have to pay $10,000 for FSD on the Model Y, making a total $17,000 to continue having FSD.
Not really $17k since you are getting some back in trade-in or if 3ed party sell you are selling for more that a NON FSD would go for.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
I made a similar trade. If you sell your trade to Tesla, they will give you more if it has FSD, but not what you paid. Then they will wipe FSD from the car, hoping to sell it again to the next owner. A private party sale might give you the full $7k or close to it, since they would have to pay more to add it themselves to a car without FSD. It would depend on how much this buyer values FSD.

Your complaint is usually followed by a plea for FSD subscriptions. The general thinking is that this is coming eventually, but not until the technology is more compelling than it is now.

• Funny
Reactions: jonquiljo
I also considered my 2018 M3 AWD LR with FSD (also payed 7K) with 16000 miles for a comparably equipped Y. They offered me $42000. So the price difference to upgrade would be 20K, not including additional tax on the price difference. Also, noteworthy is the depreciation on the car. Netting out the tax rebate, and not adding in the taxes paid, the depreciation was around $15,000 in less than 2 years with very low mileage due to covid. That depreciation is higher than my monthly lease payments on my BMW. So, not great.

I plan to trade in my 3 for a Y for the added space. But without the tax credits that I enjoyed with the 3, plus the increased cost of FSD, it won’t be in my financial cards for some years. Plus, a trade now wouldn’t buy me much - more room and a heat pump. I will wait until my trade will also give me a new battery chemistry and range.

Wanting to do something similar but just for a long range model 3 as my wife is getting the Y. We personally use autopilot ALOT and now when we get in her current vehicle we realize how much we use it and miss it. Currently only use her vehicle for out of town trips hence the upgrade to long range. Other thought was to just get her model y in long range but since the model 3 is mine and if I ever have to start driving to work again, with my standard+ I was always cutting it close. Even with a level 2 charger in my works parking lot.

In your case I think it all depends on how much you use the autopilot. You could trade to model y without it and then add it down the line ( at a higher price of course). It's so dependant on each person and how mu h that use it etc.

I also considered my 2018 M3 AWD LR with FSD (also payed 7K) with 16000 miles for a comparably equipped Y. They offered me $42000. So the price difference to upgrade would be 20K, not including additional tax on the price difference. Also, noteworthy is the depreciation on the car. Netting out the tax rebate, and not adding in the taxes paid, the depreciation was around $15,000 in less than 2 years with very low mileage due to covid. That depreciation is higher than my monthly lease payments on my BMW. So, not great.

Chopping and changing new cars within a couple of years nearly always stings you hard in the pocket. That's just how it is I'm afraid. Actually losing $15k over 2 years is getting off fairly lightly!

yea unfortunately FSD has horrible depreciation. Probably because it’s just vapor ware for now. I hope it’ll add resale value once they release full FSD to customers. I just bought a used LR AWD with FSD for $42k. Hopefully it won’t drop too fast going forward since your FSD is basically fully depreciated at this point.

Options on cars always have terrible depreciation, and I would expect FSD to be no different once the "autosteer on city streets" functionality is released. It's still going to be a Level 2 system for the foreseeable future, and people expecting that to change and it to magically hold or increase its value is a losing proposition.

Getting $4000 back for a $7000 FSD option actually seems like the correct way to value it. The car depreciated around 20-25% in two years, and the option depreciated 30-40% if you feel like splitting it out that way. In the private market, options are always going to depreciate faster because you are naturally limiting the market for people who want the particular combination of options you have, and secondly second owners often care less about having the bells and whistles (especially once they are no longer the latest and greatest).

Also I really sympathize with the FSD bait and switch if you bought your car before spring 2019. For those that bought it later (like me), it was pretty clear that you are paying for a particular set of Level 2 features, including autosteer on city streets. It would be great if my car turned into a Level 5 autonomous vehicle someday, but Tesla never promised me that functionality when I paid $7K for FSD in 2020. As far as I'm concerned city streets are the only thing they owe me, and that's clearly the FSD beta that's out now, so I'm not too worried about eventually getting that.

• Disagree
Reactions: Fernand and afadeev