Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer hitch on 2021 refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bent the bracket using a pair of mole grips to allow the hitch to fit. I could have done a better job by putting the bracket in a vise and bending the top of the bracket evenly but I didn’t have a vise to hand. The top of the bracket needs to be bent towards the rear of the car. That will be obvious when you try to fit it.
This was mentioned by one of the first folks to install the Tesla hitch (that he got from a wrecked X). I never had to bend anything. Just went right on. Don’t recall which Rev I got.

Reactions: gbailey
So I ended up cutting off the bracket on the Rev H hitch (1027581-00-H) that I bought from Tesla. And of course removing the wiring stuff since I'm just planning to use this for a bike/ski rack.

I had a body shop install it for me, the car was with them anyways to repair the rear bumper that was scratched up due to a minivan backing into me in a parking lot....thank goodness for Sentry, the Minivan hit my car hard enough to set off the alarm and someone in the car next to me said they saw it and heard it but didn't get the license plate as the minivan that hit me drove off immediately without stopping. Had to file a police report to go find them and get their insurance info which covered the repair to the bumper, they told the police they didn't know they hit me which if true they should not have a driver's license. Anyhow I digress.

The body shop popped it on with no issue for $95 in labor, below image of a quick test fit of the hitch adapter form my 2016 Model X and it fits perfect. The one thing I didn't get from Tesla - the little plastic cover to protect the hitch when it is not in use....not sure if it was supposed to come with it, but since there's the cover on the bumper itself to protect it I'm not worried about it getting dirty, I don't drive on dirt roads or anything anyways and it seems pretty hard for stuff to get up in that area when plastic cover on the bumper is installed. I did message the Service Center and they said they could

Thanks to everyone on this thread and forum for all the great info that made this a breeze (well a breeze for me to order the right part so that the body shop had a super easy job, since I didn't do the install myself).

3659B7EB-FB4E-4215-B15F-85EBC5FDC597.jpeg

Well I have some good news. The take-off hitch I bought from a refresh 2022 Model X DID fit my 2022 Long Range S. I only had to bend a bracket back on the hitch that was designed to hold part of the hitch wiring harness on the X and of course remove the rear bumper reinforcing bar which I didn’t refit. Apart from that it fitted perfectly and it’s easy to fit the removable hitch when the undertray hatch is removed. I didn’t fit hitch wiring this time and couldn’t see any wiring harness for a factory accessory towing harness so I may have to fabricate something if I decide to down that route. My sense is that any factory hitch from a Tesla Model X would fit the new refresh S.
So it looks like the factory hitch is 2 parts and has a L adapter receiver to make it horizontal?

Hi. Thanks everyone for contributing to this very useful thread. Quick question. For those who install model X hitch on model S, do you put any vinyl washer? To prevent the metal corrosion that someone else mentioned?
Good idea to put a nonconductive barrier between Alum and steel, could be any hard plastic washer, as long as it is thin and does not crush. Glass fiber washers, or make some from g10 electrical grade circuit board stock, would be better than plastic.

Or, you could paint the mating surfaces with primer, allow to cure fully, and for an extra measure, install the bolts and parts with wet primer.

• Helpful
Reactions: cleverscreenam
This thread is awesome, thank you all!

I ordered a (gently) used 2021 Palladium Model S, and so was looking for options to mount a bike rack.

I just so happen to have a full up Model X tow kit sitting in my garage; changed my wife’s X over to a Draw-Tite hitch 2 years ago, and the OEM hitch has been collecting dust since. Score!! Looks like will be a direct fit. Super excited.

Thanks everyone for doing the “beta” testing!

I ordered a (gently) used 2021 Palladium Model S, and so was looking for options to mount a bike rack.

I just so happen to have a full up Model X tow kit sitting in my garage; changed my wife’s X over to a Draw-Tite hitch 2 years ago, and the OEM hitch has been collecting dust since. Score!! Looks like will be a direct fit. Super excited.

We would like pics of your install when you get it done.

Please post pics. I am also interested in what you would end up doing to prevent galvanic corrosion between aluminum body and steel hitch. Some people use plastic washers, others use some rubber inserts or paint.

We would like pics of your install when you get it done.

Please post pics. I am also interested in what you would end up doing to prevent galvanic corrosion between aluminum body and steel hitch. Some people use plastic washers, others use some rubber inserts or paint.

Will do. Given the paint on the bumper bar itself, I don't anticipate galvanic corrosion to be an issue. Tesla doesn't use inserts or washers when they install it; not sure they're necessary if the paint is intact.

It's been in my garage for ~2 years so I'll double check that - maybe clear-coat it just to be on the safe side.

I may be contrarian, but I am surprised this thread has continued for 10 pages. To me, there is little utility in huffing and puffing about whether features arguably promised were delivered or not (tilting screen, Steam, 2-zone audio etc.). If people don't like Tesla or the car or feel they were misrepresented, get rid of it all and be done with the Tesla experience. My MSLR is my first Tesla, and my experience has not been perfect. However, life is far too short for me to lose a minute of sleep over things like this. My $0.02.

I may be contrarian, but I am surprised this thread has continued for 10 pages. To me, there is little utility in huffing and puffing about whether features arguably promised were delivered or not (tilting screen, Steam, 2-zone audio etc.). If people don't like Tesla or the car or feel they were misrepresented, get rid of it all and be done with the Tesla experience. My MSLR is my first Tesla, and my experience has not been perfect. However, life is far too short for me to lose a minute of sleep over things like this. My $0.02.
Sorry, ignore this -- it was intended to be posted in a different thread.

Will do. Given the paint on the bumper bar itself, I don't anticipate galvanic corrosion to be an issue. Tesla doesn't use inserts or washers when they install it; not sure they're necessary if the paint is intact.

It's been in my garage for ~2 years so I'll double check that - maybe clear-coat it just to be on the safe side.
2021+ MS refresh rear hitch Torklift Central Eco Hitch X7450S Uhaul sells them for same price as manufacture website

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 85
  • E6E71B87-D642-4226-A712-3954507438EF.jpeg
    E6E71B87-D642-4226-A712-3954507438EF.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 56095997-4CEF-4D8A-8327-7B0B40C59671.jpeg
    56095997-4CEF-4D8A-8327-7B0B40C59671.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 1AF84536-726F-4A95-8AEC-E0BEE8B97C49.jpeg
    1AF84536-726F-4A95-8AEC-E0BEE8B97C49.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 86
Yes. See my posts #117 and #135 in this thread. Trailer hitch on 2021 refresh? Trailer hitch on 2021 refresh?

2021+ wiring appears to be different as the Tekonsha unit does not work using tail lights as the source signal.
Hmm. Many thanks for the work you have done!

I will need to do the wiring in the next six month. I will get started with your experience and recommendations and see if I can make it work. I hope Tekonsha wires can be extended to reach the other wires that you mentioned.

I wonder how Tesla is wiring the hitch for European model S with the factory hitch.