Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer hitch on 2021 refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please let us know if you figure anything out. I don't know much about multiplex wiring, but based upon the work I did, I cannot get the Tekonsha unit to distinguish between the different signals being transmitted through the various wires. Perhaps someone with more expertise than I in multiplex wiring can find a solution. That said, I spent hours on the phone with supposed technical experts from Tekonsha and they were unable to successfully assist me (although they were great and genuinely attempted to help).

Reactions: DimaCA
2021+ MS refresh rear hitch Torklift Central Eco Hitch X7450S Uhaul sells them for same price as manufacture website
Now that you've had the Eco Hitch for a while, how do you like it? I am intrigued by the stainless steel received.

I'd get the Tesla hitch, but they want a Model X VIN to order the parts. I looked up one from a used car site but they either figured it out or the order is now on a vehicle I can't see in my app.

Now that you've had the Eco Hitch for a while, how do you like it? I am intrigued by the stainless steel received.

I'd get the Tesla hitch, but they want a Model X VIN to order the parts. I looked up one from a used car site but they either figured it out or the order is now on a vehicle I can't see in my app.
The MX/MS hitch is not a VIN restricted part. Contact the Service Center manager if they are giving you a hard time about it.

The eco hitch is great, it has 4000 lbs tow rating . I pull a 3500 lbs rv trailer with ease. Just do not let U-Haul install the brake wiring harness , if you plan to tow anything requiring a 7 pin tow plug .

Attachments

• IMG_5631.jpeg
    IMG_5631.jpeg
    743.4 KB · Views: 172
I had bought the zero contact from Tekonsha too. U-Haul could not get it to work either . So I threw it out and got a local hitch shop to install the hard wired version from Tekonsha . Found this post on TMC from my research into towing trailer wiring .
Do you know how they wired the hard-wired version? I messed around for hours with the Tekonsha 119251 and could not get it to work on my 2021 S. I'd be very interested in knowing how the hard-wired version connected to the car's wiring. Thanks.

Thanks! Do you have a link to the hard-wired Tekonsha kit?
Tekonsha 119147 . They are available on Amazon, but looks cheaper from Summit racing . But this unit definitely works . Keep in mind , there two ways to connect to constant power supply. One -from the power trunk harness positive
Two -mine was taken from the frunk car battery terminal post , very long route and wiring task to complete .

Attachments

• IMG_7126.png
    IMG_7126.png
    529.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7125.png
    IMG_7125.png
    727.6 KB · Views: 93
Tekonsha 119147 . They are available on Amazon, but looks cheaper from Summit racing . But this unit definitely works . Keep in mind , there two ways to connect to constant power supply. One -from the power trunk harness positive
Two -mine was taken from the frunk car battery terminal post , very long route and wiring task to complete .
Thanks for the details, it was sold out everywhere so I ended up ordering it from etrailers.com for a mid/late-July delivery.

In the meantime, do you have any wire diagrams you can share? Or at least where the signals you ended up tapping unto besides for power?

Thanks for the details, it was sold out everywhere so I ended up ordering it from etrailers.com for a mid/late-July delivery.

In the meantime, do you have any wire diagrams you can share? Or at least where the signals you ended up tapping unto besides for power?
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Wiring/Tesla/Model+S/2021/119190KIT.html?VehicleID=202159832
they sell this kit that also has the same wiring diagram for the model S , just look at the install videos they have and photos

I was told there were issues connecting the trailer light power to the lithium ion battery terminal. Did they use a power adapter or something? I currently have the tow hitch, and all the wires connected but don't know best place to find power.

I was told there were issues connecting the trailer light power to the lithium ion battery terminal. Did they use a power adapter or something? I currently have the tow hitch, and all the wires connected but don't know best place to find power.
There is a reliable unswitched power source in the trunk right behind the passenger rear wheel well. The photo below shows the red wire that I tapped. I use that power source for some USB chargers in the trunk, to power a dashcam and I intended to use it for trailer lights (although I was not able to get the non-splice version of the Tekonsha to work.

Can you share which wires you tapped the hard-wire Tekonsha unit into on your Model S? Mine is a 2021+.

Attachments

• IMG_2148.jpg
    IMG_2148.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 62
There is a reliable unswitched power source in the trunk right behind the passenger rear wheel well. The photo below shows the red wire that I tapped. I use that power source for some USB chargers in the trunk, to power a dashcam and I intended to use it for trailer lights (although I was not able to get the non-splice version of the Tekonsha to work.

Can you share which wires you tapped the hard-wire Tekonsha unit into on your Model S? Mine is a 2021+.
Thank you! I used that wire to get the lights up and going after being mostly wired for a year!