Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer Hitch questions.... Model. Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a trailer hitch installed by Tesla ( $1200), The hitch was to be able to carry a bike rack. When I use the bike rack, I get warnings that the back up sensors are blocked, also, there is no trailer mode available. My understanding is that the trailer mode is only available when you plug into the trailer lights socket, which is along side the hitch. This is what the Tesla service department informed me ....

Has anyone else’s as this same experience?

I think you can turn on trailer mode in the menu. It will show as a red icon since it doesn't detect the lights, but shouldn't warn.

I bought some led lights and wired to my bike rack, since the bikes basically perfectly blocked the tail lights and turn signals.

Also just of note, if trailer mode is on you lose autopilot.... ugh. I really wish they had a bike rack mode that allowed it to still work. You can have autopilot if you leave trailer mode off, but then you get it yelling at you about something close to the rear as you described.

Reactions: eyedub
Also just of note, if trailer mode is on you lose autopilot.... ugh. I really wish they had a bike rack mode that allowed it to still work. You can have autopilot if you leave trailer mode off, but then you get it yelling at you about something close to the rear as you described.

Just towed a large camper last week with trailer mode on and used basic acc cruise control which worked fine. Are you referring to enhanced or FSD?

I had a trailer hitch installed by Tesla ( $1200), The hitch was to be able to carry a bike rack. When I use the bike rack, I get warnings that the back up sensors are blocked, also, there is no trailer mode available. My understanding is that the trailer mode is only available when you plug into the trailer lights socket, which is along side the hitch. This is what the Tesla service department informed me ....

Has anyone else’s as this same experience?
Yes. If you search you will find other threads in the Model Y forum about this issue.

Gone are the days where there was a bug that allowed you to have autopilot on while towing. You’d have trailer mode on while driving, then turn trailer mode off, autopilot symbol would pop up and you’d engage, then you turn trailer mode back on and it would continue down the straight highway at normal speeds 55 - 60 mph. Any faster you’d kill all your range due to drag.

Thank you for your response, I will look for the red icon...
You need to go into one of the settings menu to turn on trailer mode...I want to say the “driving” menu but could be wrong. It’s at the bottom of the page and is a toggle switch not a red trailer icon. The red icon appears when you turn on trailer mode (believe it’s red when it doesn’t detect trailer lights connected).

Possible thread jack. How do you reach the hitch hole to put in the pin with a bike rack mounted? I might not be as supple as I was, but while I can mount the rack I don’t have enough clearance to reach inside to put the pin through the hole and secure it. What was Tesla thinking?

Last edited:
Possible thread jack. How do you reach the hitch hole to put in the pin with a bike rack mounted? I might not be as supple as I was, but while I can mount the rack I don’t have enough clearance to reach inside to put the pin through the hole and secure it. What was Tesla thinking?

I didn't have any problem with my Yakima Ridgeback (an old model). I've only done it once as a test because I heard about pin problems. Until Christmas, I'm still carting the bikes around with the Outback. Then my youngest is sneaking off with the outback so come spring I'll be using the MY. I am a little worried that I'll open the trunk some day and wack the tailgate. The Outback only opens manually from the back so it is less likely to happen.

I do have a problem getting the damn cover on and off.

Last edited:
You need to go into one of the settings menu to turn on trailer mode...I want to say the “driving” menu but could be wrong. It’s at the bottom of the page and is a toggle switch not a red trailer icon. The red icon appears when you turn on trailer mode (believe it’s red when it doesn’t detect trailer lights connected).
I finally got my hitch installed by Tesla today. Thanks for the tip regarding trailer mode — I’ll try it out tomorrow.

In order to make the hitch cover easier to remove, I cut off a few of the tabs which hold it in place, as suggested on the Living Tesla website. It still stays in place but is now easy to remove by hand without any tools.

By the way, I had the same problem mentioned by others with the locking hitch bar not fitting in the small space between the hitch receptor and the light socket. The best solution is to get a hitch bar with a lock that is at a right angle like this one. https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufac...ock&qid=1603514315&sprefix=curt+hitch+&sr=8-6

Last edited:
I drove in trailer mode today with my hitch rack and one bike installed, however I received sporadic warnings that the “parking sensor(s) may be obscured”. Is this a typical error message when using a bike rack (Kuat NV 2.0) even when in trailer mode?

I finally got my hitch installed by Tesla today. Thanks for the tip regarding trailer mode — I’ll try it out tomorrow.

In order to make the hitch cover easier to remove, I cut off a few of the tabs which hold it in place, as suggested on the Living Tesla website. It still stays in place but is now easy to remove by hand without any tools.

By the way, I had the same problem mentioned by others with the locking hitch bar not fitting in the small space between the hitch receptor and the light socket. The best solution is to get a hitch bar with a lock that is at a right angle like this one. https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufac...ock&qid=1603514315&sprefix=curt+hitch+&sr=8-6
Thanks for the recommendation in the hitch lock.

I drove in trailer mode today with my hitch rack and one bike installed, however I received sporadic warnings that the “parking sensor(s) may be obscured”. Is this a typical error message when using a bike rack (Kuat NV 2.0) even when in trailer mode?
That doesn’t sound right. In past cars, when trailer mode is on, it disables the park distance sensors so I’d assume the Tesla would operate the same way.

I haven’t towed with mine yet so can’t confirm.

That doesn’t sound right. In past cars, when trailer mode is on, it disables the park distance sensors so I’d assume the Tesla would operate the same way. I haven’t towed with mine yet so can’t confirm.
It does seem odd. I don’t get the warning when the bike rack is removed, so I don’t think it’s due to a defective sensor. I’ll check with the SC.
Thanks for the recommendation in the hitch lock.
The Curt hitch bar is the perfect length in the Tesla tow hitch with no excess room to slide back and forth. It’s still a bit of a tight fit where the lock goes between the electrical socket and the hitch receiver, but that would be the case with all hitch bars given the tight space. My only very minor complaint is that the plastic sliding cover over the key hole seems a bit loose.

It does seem odd. I don’t get the warning when the bike rack is removed, so I don’t think it’s due to a defective sensor. I’ll check with the SC.

The Curt hitch bar is the perfect length in the Tesla tow hitch with no excess room to slide back and forth. It’s still a bit of a tight fit where the lock goes between the electrical socket and the hitch receiver, but that would be the case with all hitch bars given the tight space. My only very minor complaint is that the plastic sliding cover over the key hole seems a bit loose.
Let us know what the SC says.
Good to know about the hitch lock. Got it saved in my Amazon wish list... will buy it next year when I’ll be towing my motorcycles to the race track.

This one works well and the cover is rubber.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0009V1WS4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bHeMFbAD2V32D?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1