Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer “main” user in app to wife?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I know this may sound silly but it would mean something to my wife.

We just picked up our Model Y and since I made the reservation, I am the “main” user of the car. The car will be driven 99% of the time by my wife. I don’t even want to keep the app on my phone at this point. Is there a way to make her the main user? She has an account and is a “driver” of the car. Do I need to remove ownership on my end and have her re-add it? If I need to drive it she can share access with me and/or I can use one of the key cards.

She needs her own Tesla login.

Then attach the Model Y to that login.

All very straightforward.

You also having the Y attached to your login does no harm.

Tricky part is the credit card for charges for the Y. (Ex: Supercharging, Internet)
Just use her credit card.
Do I first remove her as an authorized driver? Then from her app/account add the Model Y
I want to do the same but opposite. She's the main and I'm the driver. I want it the other way around but seems no easy way.
I’m going to see if it can contact Tesla about it. If anything, may just try to remove car from my account and have her do it.

Upvote 0
Do I first remove her as an authorized driver? Then from her app/account add the Model Y

I’m going to see if it can contact Tesla about it. If anything, may just try to remove car from my account and have her do it.
You can remove the vehicle from your account and add it to her account by using the app. Just click on your profile icon in the app and then Add / Remove Products. It will have you confirm you are removing it from one account and adding it to the other and it only takes a minute or two. If you still want access to the car, your wife can then add your account as a Driver.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Upvote 0
I did it last night by logging into the accounts and swapping emails.
This is going to be your easiest option
You can remove the vehicle from your account and add it to her account by using the app. Just click on your profile icon in the app and then Add / Remove Products. It will have you confirm you are removing it from one account and adding it to the other and it only takes a minute or two. If you still want access to the car, your wife can then add your account as a Driver.
This will require interference from tesla where you will need to provide proof of ownership and other docs

Upvote 0
This will require interference from tesla where you will need to provide proof of ownership and other docs
It doesn't require any docs or proof of ownership. It's automatic and instant. We've sold multiple Teslas and have used this functionality to instantly transfer ownership. Just a few weeks ago, we sold a Model 3 and were able to transfer ownership of the vehicle within two minutes at 7 am on a Saturday morning. In the app, I chose to remove the product and provided the new owner's account info. It sent me a code to confirm that I was the owner and that the vehicle would be removed from the account. The owner then received a notification and the vehicle was instantly removed from our account and immediately added to the buyer's account.

Upvote 0
It doesn't require any docs or proof of ownership. It's automatic and instant. We've sold multiple Teslas and have used this functionality to instantly transfer ownership. Just a few weeks ago, we sold a Model 3 and were able to transfer ownership of the vehicle within two minutes at 7 am on a Saturday morning. In the app, I chose to remove the product and provided the new owner's account info. It sent me a code to confirm that I was the owner and that the vehicle would be removed from the account. The owner then received a notification and the vehicle was instantly removed from our account and immediately added to the buyer's account.
Quick question — did all the original purchase/etc docs from original account that purchased the vehicle transfer to the new owner? Or does that just stay in the original owners account?

Upvote 0

Upvote 0