Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer of ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I bought a 2015 model S from a private owner in November and sent an email to Tesla customer service to transfer the car to my account. So far they have yet to make the transfer. I'd like to know what other's experience has been. I have followed up 5 times through e-mail but I haven't heard anything from Tesla.

I also tried to have the ownership transferred at the service center but they said I had to email customer service to do so.

thoughts on how to get Tesla to actually transfer the car to my account? do I need to tweet Elon?

K

I had to look up the email thread when I went through the process, but i received immediate and timely response. apparently there is a separate 'ownership transfer' team that has to process the transfer, but overall it took less than 2 weeks to transfer the ownership. The only delay on my end was getting the title from the seller since it was still with his lender.
Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors and congratulations on your new purchase. In order to process the transfer of ownership for your vehicle and provide you with mobile app access we will need the following.

· Color copy or photo of your current driver’s license or state ID.
· Copy or picture of your title or registration
· Email address you would like linked to your account (My Tesla email if account is already created)
· Home or mailing address
· Phone number

Please send this info to [email protected] and we will begin the transfer process, this process can take up to 2-3 business days and once completed you will be notified by email.

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn
Tesla is going through growing pains right now. Apparently they have never been consistently superb with customer service but recently it's taken a pretty big down-turn. A lot of us are having some type of problem.

My current issues:
- They will not register the car for me (even though they said they would and made me sign documents giving them the power to do it) yet they will not provide me the proper documents (the title) in order for me to register it myself, despite multiple emails and calls
- They have not added my car to my husband's Tesla account despite multiple emails I've sent

I provided Tesla with the requested transfer information, scans of my drivers license and title 33 days ago and haven't received any communication regarding the transfer request. . .

Also, for some strange reason I had to recreate my Tesla Account on the tesla.com website; my account information was not valid, but they were still able to send me emails to purchase another vehicle or power wall.

I provided Tesla with the requested transfer information, scans of my drivers license and title 33 days ago and haven't received any communication regarding the transfer request. . .

Also, for some strange reason I had to recreate my Tesla Account on the tesla.com website; my account information was not valid, but they were still able to send me emails to purchase another vehicle or power wall.

Received my transfer confirmation this evening (38 days). Maybe they're able to finally catch up with the back log of paperwork from Model 3s. I

t's nice to finally be able to use the Tesla phone app.

Mine was just completed. Submitted last Friday afternoon. Followed up with support via chat that evening and previous rep closed the case. I have followed up via chat 4x this week and the rep today said he would call the ownership transfer team. After waiting about 5 minutes he advised me that I would receive a confirmation email in 5 minutes. I did and the transfer was complete. Be persistent.

When I sold mine, it sat in limbo for over a month. It finally went through when I (as the seller) wrote to Tesla asking them to finish it up. Was weird having access to a car I didn’t own. I’m sure the buyer wasn’t happy either.

Might be a good strategy - new owner submits request, then former owner also submits request.

Hi All,

I bought a 2015 model S from a private owner in November and sent an email to Tesla customer service to transfer the car to my account. So far they have yet to make the transfer. I'd like to know what other's experience has been. I have followed up 5 times through e-mail but I haven't heard anything from Tesla.

I also tried to have the ownership transferred at the service center but they said I had to email customer service to do so.

thoughts on how to get Tesla to actually transfer the car to my account? do I need to tweet Elon?

K
Took me 3 weeks?

I drove straight from the DMV to the SC 7 days ago (3/06). The service advisor color photocopied my license, title, and registration, and took all my info. I got an e-mail from him this morning stating that I need to resubmit everything directly to [email protected]. Looking through the e-mail thread, they e-mailed him yesterday and asked if I purchased the car from the original owner or a 3rd party. Without consulting me, he incorrectly responded "original owner." WRONG ANSWER so transfer rejected!

So I'm waiting at least another day (or week?) because a Tesla employee didn't care enough to spend one minute contacting me to confirm the last piece of info that customer support was looking for. The only reason I drove to the SC was to save myself the trouble of scanning/e-mailing docs, and to get the personalized level of service I was expecting from Tesla.