Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transferrable Supercharging possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my friend is looking at a 2019 Long range X. The owner has free supercharging for life. However We're seeing you cannot transfer the charging from owner to owner. I believe the work around is to Take ownership of the current owner's Tesla account to keep the supercharging on the vehicle when you move the car over to the next person. Is this a myth or not possible? Please advise

So my friend is looking at a 2019 Long range X. The owner has free supercharging for life. However We're seeing you cannot transfer the charging from owner to owner. I believe the work around is to Take ownership of the current owner's Tesla account to keep the supercharging on the vehicle when you move the car over to the next person. Is this a myth or not possible? Please advise
No one has confirmed that it works in the long term yet.

In theory, the last owner should give up the last Tesla account and let the new owner take over.

In theory, that account still has the old vin with old free supercharging and there was no vin removal or adding in that account. That means it sees no change and there's no trigger event to remove the free supercharging.

However, if Tesla gets ownership records from DMV (to know which is salvage, new owners...) then the above method won't work for long.

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
It is not supposed to be possible. Transferable FUSC went away in 2017. If you attempt to steal it, it can go away at any time, as soon as Tesla realizes the vehicle ownership changed.

Informational webpage on this:

I sold my sc05 Tesla to a close friend. He transferred the title into his name. I kept the vehicle in my account and gave him access to the vehicle thru the Tesla app.

It works fine. He’s able to supercharge, no problem.

However, when he takes it in for service, I get billed for it. But he pays me back.
Not sure how this will work with a stranger. Supposedly they can change the name and credit card info but this will throw a red flag to Tesla that the ownership changed.

I sold my sc05 Tesla to a close friend. He transferred the title into his name. I kept the vehicle in my account and gave him access to the vehicle thru the Tesla app.

It works fine. He’s able to supercharge, no problem.

However, when he takes it in for service, I get billed for it. But he pays me back.
Not sure how this will work with a stranger. Supposedly they can change the name and credit card info but this will throw a red flag to Tesla that the ownership changed.
normally u change the email/name/card in the account to buyers
i've personally changed name/cc in my account, tesla has no issues with it
there's some other way accounts are tracked and linked with the car
changing email/name/cc is a pretty standard things in a digital world so it can't be a red flag