Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transparent Roadster Top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glass Roadster Top

I just installed the Visium hardtop on my 1.5. Wow! What a fabulous top. The fit is essentially perfect and the windows seal very well. Easy install. The car is now much quieter at speed and the view out is stupendous. The cabin feels bigger because the top lets in so much light. I'm sure in hot climates this top would be too warm in the summer but in the SF Bay Area that's not an issue. I love this top! I have briefly driven a Roadster with the factory hardtop but it was awhile ago and I can't offer an opinion on the difference in noise reduction between the two. Here's some photos:

92dc8970e8c1ccce7006ae1066add709.jpg

7795131f3b01d29d10757deb611d2f4f.jpg

7f102ff791419b4fd95173b5fefde3fc.jpg

731e4dbdb9df708dc7c0db28bb63fd5b.jpg

0086199c46efa5abbd9f16d440e32d5e.jpg

By coincidence, I received mine on Monday, and installed it.

I fully agree with ecarfan on how nice the fit is, and how...big...it makes the cabin feel (compared to the soft top).

I will say that it took me probably 45 minutes to put it on the first time, but most of that was just figuring out how it installed.

roof.jpg

I will say that it took me probably 45 minutes to put it on the first time, but most of that was just figuring out how it installed

Yes, the printed instructions that come with the top are almost incomprehensible. Fortunately it's a fairly simple procedure to figure out. It took me awhile the first time but the second time will be faster. That is, if I ever take it off.

I do recommend getting a good cover for the top when you store it, otherwise its pretty easy to scratch it. Then you'd wish you'd bought the premium that came with the cover. I agree there's a big price difference. One thing is the premium top is really light, feels as light as the CF Tesla top. The cover that came with it is neoprene and gives a nice fit. I put the glasstop and my Roadster CF top inside the Tesla hardtop storage bag together in the summer. Its padded very well.

As for the instructions, I never read them. Its a top and rather straight forward. Where the top sticks up, loosen the mount, push down on the top, and tighten.

Curious how much Visium or Mr Fiat would sell the hard top cover for alone.

Last edited:
Great pics. Great look. Congrats!

ecarfan, it looks great on very orange!

I'd probably get one but the climate here in Phoenix is just not right. It'd be way too hot in the summer, and when it's winter for the rest of the country, I have the top off during the day (e.g., today the high was in the low 70's with a low in the high 40's).

Anyway, enjoy! I love the look.

I may never take my Visium top off. If I do I will be sure to wrap it in a blanket.

The price differential is $700. For that it seems the only differences are 1kg lighter (6kg vs. 5kg) and a storage cover. Didn't seem worth it. I'm sure the storage cover is nicely made, everything about this product is outstanding except the English translation of the installation instructions!

I do recommend getting a good cover for the top when you store it, otherwise its pretty easy to scratch it. Then you'd wish you'd bought the premium that came with the cover. I agree there's a big price difference. One thing is the premium top is really light, feels as light as the CF Tesla top. The cover that came with it is neoprene and gives a nice fit. I put the glasstop and my Roadster CF top inside the Tesla hardtop storage bag together in the summer. Its padded very well.

The price differential is $700...I'm sure the storage cover is nicely made, everything about this product is outstanding except the English translation of the installation instructions!

As much as I like the top, there is no technology yet in existence to measure the level of my ticked-offed-ness as how unbelievably cheap and "crappy" the case is for the top. For $700, I was expecting an oversized, padded, semi-formed zipper case.

It's a cotton gym bag, rolled up.

So, here's a picture of the Tesla Hardtop Bag (that costs $250)

Tesla Hardtop Bag.jpg

...and here's a picture of the Vision hardtop bag (I put one of Henry's CANs next to it, for size comparison). This is what your additional $700 gets you.

Vision Top Bag.jpg

(Note: I came wrapped up in plastic and I haven't bothered to unwrap it - the top came out of the crate and went straight onto the car)

Glass Roadster Top

Besides coming with the much maligned storage bag (which seems to have been cheapened as of late) the premium Visium top is stated to be 1kg lighter. Not sure what is different about it to achieve that weight reduction, but it hardly seems significant.

Cheap storage bag aside, the Visium top is awesome! I highly recommend it.

Today for the first time since installing my Visium top I drove in heavy rain, for half an hour. I could not find any evidence of water leaking into the cabin. My soft top did leak just a bit at the top front corner of the driver's side window.

I had my Roadster about a week before I looked up and saw the disclaimer on the softtop that essentially says "Yeah, the roof occasionally leaks. Please...deal with it."