Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transparent Roadster Top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My soft top did leak just a bit at the top front corner of the driver's side window.

There is a little triangular flap of rubber that is part of the drain on the A pillar at the top front corner of the window. When you install the soft top you need to make sure to flip that triangle outward so that it is on top of the horizontal rubber on the soft-top side member, otherwise you will get a leak at that spot.

I just put on my glass top as the weather in Texas is starting to stay a bit cooler.

I notice this year compared to last, that the top squeaks more, that is from the rear clamp areas.

Just wondering, do you guys tighten the bolts completely down? I have them tight but not so much that the bar is completely flat.

I added rubber washers as spacers between the mounting bar and the glass top. They help keep the bar level and reduce the squeaks, but it still creaks a bit over bumps and through corners. The full CF hard top is quieter, but the view is worth it.

I just put on my glass top as the weather in Texas is starting to stay a bit cooler.

I notice this year compared to last, that the top squeaks more, that is from the rear clamp areas.

Just wondering, do you guys tighten the bolts completely down? I have them tight but not so much that the bar is completely flat.

Mine use to squeak over twists such as a driveway entry/exit. I didn't crank down the rear bolts all the way down then. This year I did, until the bolt stopped and then the squeaks went away. I also press down on the front corners before tightening them. I loosen them for the removal as well. That way I get a better fit.

Mine use to squeak over twists such as a driveway entry/exit. I didn't crank down the rear bolts all the way down then. This year I did, until the bolt stopped and then the squeaks went away. I also press down on the front corners before tightening them. I loosen them for the removal as well. That way I get a better fit.
I checked my Visium top mounts for the first time since installing the top three weeks ago, as my top was starting to creak when going over bumps and pavement expansion joints. The rear bolts had loosened up quite a bit, front bolts hardly at all. I re-tightened the rear bolts, top still creaks a bit but it is much reduced. I will have to investigate @djp's rubber washer approach.

I sent the seller that question, and actually, it turns out, "No"! Close, but according to Mr. Fiat, the Roadster unit is slightly different. Same price, I believe.

I've got one of those on order. No word yet on a ship date.

Greg.

Really, did you ask him what's different?

There's no changes between the Elise and Roadster dimensions that would affect the top. Both cars use exactly the same soft top. Remember Tesla leveraged off the Elise! I even have / run a factory Lotus Elise hardtop at times on my Tesla Roadster. Fits like a glove and I wouldn't expect it not to.

I'm the first person who put the glass top on the Roadster. There was never a "Roadster" version until afterwards, it was only available for the Elise from Mr. Fiat. If Mr. Fiat is really making two different tops, I think its rather odd and unnecessary.

Curious what the word is from Visium directly.

Last edited:
Really, did you ask him what's different?

There's no changes between the Elise and Roadster dimensions that would affect the top. Both cars use exactly the same soft top. Remember Tesla leveraged off the Elise! I even have / run a factory Lotus Elise hardtop at times on my Tesla Roadster. Fits like a glove and I wouldn't expect it not to.

I'm the first person who put the glass top on the Roadster. There was never a "Roadster" version until afterwards, it was only available for the Elise from Mr. Fiat. If Mr. Fiat is really making two different tops, I think its rather odd and unnecessary.

Curious what the word is from Visium directly.

Dennis I remember that Maurizio told me that the glass top has been shortened a little bit with respect to your version to fit better.
Thought that you knew about this.

Dennis I remember that Maurizio told me that the glass top has been shortened a little bit with respect to your version to fit better.
Thought that you knew about this.

Raffy, I believe Maurizio/Visium gave me (through Mr. Fiat) a defective top. I don't know if these get tested on real cars after they're made. For me, the top was too long but the door seals located on the same plane were too short. They at least should have been off the same way if indeed the Roadster's top area was different. But both defects were off in the opposite directions which does not make any sense. I offered Mr. Fiat the measurements and even to have my top sent back for analysis / measurement but he didn't want them.

I honestly feel there's absolutely no need to have two versions of tops. Did Maurizio ever get a Roadster there to get accurate measurements?

I'd like to get the full measurement of the Elise version and the Roadster version and compare it to my modified top.

I'm running the top now and still loving it.

Last edited:
Don't think that your top is defective. It's simply longer than the last version IMO. Last version has been done to better fit in the Roadster. I remember that the first version was the same as the Elise.

Maurizio never had the chance to make measurements on the Roadster.

Don't think that your top is defective. It's simply longer than the last version IMO. Last version has been done to better fit in the Roadster. I remember that the first version was the same as the Elise.

Maurizio never had the chance to make measurements on the Roadster.

Then why were the door seals too short? I mean significantly shorter???

But then the top/glass part is longer?

If he never had a Roadster he's assuming that the top needs to be shortened when it most likely does not based upon my top which we don't even know if it was made even the Elise spec.

The only plausible case would be my CF rollbar is consuming more space, but then why would the door seals to the top be too short? It makes no sense.

I don't think shaving the top is needed, I'm looking at the Roadster tops and the amount he's taking off seems rather aggressive.

Only way to be sure is to get real measurements from the Elise top, Roadster top, and my top. Both for the top and the door seals. Then we can start putting the data together and draw a clear picture of things.

Next time I see my friend with his Elise, I'll put my top on. If it fits just like mine that also will prove the top was off on calculations when made. However if there's a bigger gap between the rear of the top and roll bar cover on the Elise we'll know there's a change in top dimensions between the 2 cars.

Last edited: