Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Traveling by Supercharger can be more expensive than ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And isn't it well known that "topping off" is at the least efficient end of the scale? But to be honest, price of fuel wasn't the reason I got an ev
Either I'm getting a lot of down-votes for my post for my typo or they're previous S/X owners who used to have free unlimited supercharging.

I get that it sucks we sometimes have to pay about the same as gasoline per mile on trips but gasoline in USA is highly subsidized. It's not fair by design.

Reactions: Msjulie
I thought Tesla said they wouldn’t make the superchargers a profit center? After paying $14.56 for driving 140 miles from home charger to Supercharger and topping off, I realized it would have been cheaper to drive my pickup. At the current cost of fuel which is $2.25 per gallon here this equates to an ICE getting 21.5mpg. Not too impressive. A regular car comparable to a Model 3 would easily get 30mpg, probably more like 35-40mpg.

Are the supercharger rates here in Montana just excessively high, or is that the normal across the nation.
Makes me really miss free supercharging....

Hmm, can't speak to Montana but here in TX I use Superchargers on my many trips to the valley in south Texas (315 miles). I just looked at my history and the average charge for about 40 minutes of charging after driving about 150 miles was $5.25 miles. My wife's Prius gets 42 mpg and that would cost more for fuel, and that's a damn Prius! Now it's been a while since I've driven that far in the cold (and guy, for us in central Texas 30 degrees is cold) so I'm sure it would cost me more for the Supercharger but even so your electricity rates must be much higher.

???

convenience? Check

10 year cost of ownership? Check

Durability? Double check

What more do you want? Only morons and monsters use fools fuel where alternatives exist.

....didn't really want to continue this...but here goes....you can go ahead and uncheck all your list above. Simply put, and you figure the rest... I can easily fill up a +15 year old jalopy with 10 gallons of regular unleaded in 10-12 min and drive for almost 430-450miles! ...and get from point A to B in less time than with an EV. There...beat those numbers... Oh and the gas tank never needs any special care...

....didn't really want to continue this...but here goes....you can go ahead and uncheck all your list above. Simply put, and you figure the rest... I can easily fill up a +15 year old jalopy with 10 gallons of regular unleaded in 10-12 min and drive for almost 430-450miles! ...and get from point A to B in less time than with an EV. There...beat those numbers... Oh and the gas tank never needs any special care...

.... I can't fill up an 'old jalopy' in my driveway for the equivalent of ~$0.50/ gallon. I can also make fuel for an EV on my roof; Pretty sure most people would find that more convenient than having to drive to a fuel depot to fill-up regardless of how quick (how incredibly primitive)

I never drive >400 miles without stopping for a break so that also doesn't matter either...

I can make a new horse with 2 horses and feed them from a field and if you scratch a horse it will heal... can't do any of that with a car. Does that make horses more convenient than cars? All depends on use. With the way ~99% of people use cars EVs are FAR more convenient than an obsolete POS powered by fools fuel.... or a horse ;)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I drove to Houston and back from NE Tennessee through 5 states and 2200 miles. The “fuel” cost was $53. Try driving 2200 miles in a Prius with $53. Hint you will not make it.

Agreed....not trying to promote fossil fuel use, that's why I have a BEV....but folks here need a reality check when they think their lil' tesla's are best thing since sliced bread....it's a neat idea...but not there by a looonnng shot. Elon needs to a quantum leap on battery tech.

.... I can't fill up an 'old jalopy' in my driveway for the equivalent of ~$0.50/ gallon. I can also make fuel for an EV on my roof; Pretty sure most people would find that more convenient than having to drive to a fuel depot to fill-up regardless of how quick (how incredibly primitive)

I never drive >400 miles without stopping for a break so that also doesn't matter either...

I can make a new horse with 2 horses and feed them from a field... can't do that with a car. Does that make horses more convenient than a car? All depends on use. With the way ~99% of people use cars EVs are FAR more convenient than an obsolete POS powered by fools fuel.... or a horse ;)

I wish we could all live in your perfect little world.

If by 'general purpose' you mean the 0.1% that are crazy enough to drive for 6 hours straight peeing into a bottle while driving then yes...

Most of us prefer the convenience of a COVID-free fueling station in our driveway :)

You got it backwards my friend....sorry...not what I see on the roads... by 'most,' I take it to mean the cult of tesla folks. In a sadistic way...I like that idea.