Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tree vs Mirror = Rabbit hole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I backed my 2020 Model Y mirror into a tree beside my driveway today. As a result I've started digging into replacement options. I was able to take the assembly apart and mostly what needs replacing is a plastic component that acts as a cowl around the mirror:

20220115_134450(1).jpg

It looks like my options are to
  1. Replace the mirror with a new one (~700$)
  2. Buy a used mirror off of ebay and replace the pieces I need (~350$)
  3. Fix this with some ABS friendly adhesive (time is priceless...)
  4. Go buy some white and black duct tape Michigan style (10$)
I would love if I could only replace this one component but after a little looking around I can't seem to track down anyone who sells this specific part - only the full mirror assembly. Anyone have a lead on this part or a cheaper alternative than what I've seen in my search so far?

Yeah I considered 3d printing something but unfortunately the plastic carrier also is a visible part and probably would be noticable to the next owner!

Otherwise yeah all these options are on the table, was hoping buying the subassembly might be possible. Seems no unless anyone can find it. Fortunately Tesla's design is such that one part breaks instead of everything..

I'm still acclimating to new car ownership... Not my MO..

You can also remove it completely, and use the inside blind spot camera!!!

“The best part is no part. The best process is no process. It weighs nothing. Costs nothing. Can’t go wrong” - @elonmusk.

Musk explained that, while “required by law,” the mirrors are “designed to be easy to remove by owners.”​

Watts_up: You're joking about the removable mirror, right? It only applies to the CT.

Synder: I've not done the research, but since an auto mirror assembly is a single unit, itt's doubtful to me that any manufacturer would make the various sub-parts available individually. The processing/warehousing would be prohibitively expensive.

Reactions: mswlogo
  1. Replace the mirror with a new one (~700$)
  2. Buy a used mirror off of ebay and replace the pieces I need (~350$)
  3. Fix this with some ABS friendly adhesive (time is priceless...)
  4. Go buy some white and black duct tape Michigan style (10$)
I vote for option #1

#2 doesn't guarantee the success of the repair while investing 50% of the funds plus 3-4 hours of frustration.

Haha some of you guys are REALLLL trolls~! hahahahhahahahahahha so funny!

I agree, with the above, if you can find one on ebay in good condition, in your color, then just do that. If you can't find one in your color, just go buy a carbon fiber mirror cap replacement on ebay along with any full used mirror and be done with it.

Mirror cap example: FOR 2020-2022 TESLA MODEL Y ADD-ON HORN STYLE CARBON FIBER MIRROR CAP COVERS | eBay

mirror: TESLA MODEL Y MIRROR LEFT DRIVER 2020 2021 2022 1594111-00-B OEM | eBay