Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Planner problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Y and was trying to plan a trip and when I put in the destination it shows the first charger stop with a -47% charge and over 500 miles into the trip and there is also a warning at the top that I must charge before reaching destination. There are so many super chargers along the route before it picked this random charging stop. I’m assuming it’s operator error but if someone can help me I would be so grateful.

In addition try to see the route plan and chargers stops using A Better Route Planner . Tesla route planning is fairly mature and accurate unless you are travelling in a area where there are no chargers for 100's of miles.

I’m leaving Arvada CO heading to Phoenix and driving I70 to Grand Juction. It has the route going through Montrose and Telluride which I thought may be a prettier drive than Vegas to Phoenix. Just want to make it through the mountains without anxiety taking the fun out of the trip.

Southwest CO. is a charging desert, there's only a couple of superchargers out there. Fortunately you can absolutely get from Denver to Phoenix and back, I took a trip from Denver to Phoenix this spring. Just put the destination into the Tesla Navigation in the car and it will route you down through Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Raton NM, Santa Fe NM, Albuquerque NM, Flagstaff AZ, Sedona AZ, then Phoenix.

Well, the problem with the Tesla navigation, from a planning perspective, is that it only allows you to plan a trip based on your current battery SOC and if you were leaving now. Sounds like that's what might be happening. Apps like ABRP allow you to do real planning, with your SOC at departure, time of departure, any excess weight you might be carrying, etc.

Reactions: BnGrm
It sounds like you are already on the road? The thing is, each time you punch in the destination, it calculations from that moment, based on the charge you have, on how best to get to the destination. It's a navigation tool that happens to tell you when to charge and not really a planning tool per se. So if you are saying you "planned" it before you left, and now it's telling you something different, it's just adjusting to what's going. As @DanDi58 said, if you want to plan, something like A Better Route Planner is what you need. It lets you set parameters such as when you want to start, how much charge you are starting with, how you want to go, and will take into consideration weather as well. Some features requires you to subscribe @ $5 a month.

Here you go, with a route through Telluride, CO.
Screenshot 2022-06-09 144910.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-09 144910.jpg

Not the case the first super charger on my route is about 30 miles away in Idaho Springs. There’s another in Silver Thorne
Well, the problem with the Tesla navigation, from a planning perspective, is that it only allows you to plan a trip based on your current battery SOC and if you were leaving now. Sounds like that's what might be happening. Apps like ABRP allow you to do real planning, with your SOC at departure, time of departure, any excess weight you might be carrying, etc.

It sounds like you are already on the road? The thing is, each time you punch in the destination, it calculations from that moment, based on the charge you have, on how best to get to the destination. It's a navigation tool that happens to tell you when to charge and not really a planning tool per se. So if you are saying you "planned" it before you left, and now it's telling you something different, it's just adjusting to what's going. As @DanDi58 said, if you want to plan, something like A Better Route Planner is what you need. It lets you set parameters such as when you want to start, how much charge you are starting with, how you want to go, and will take into consideration weather as well. Some features requires you to subscribe @ $5 a month.

No not on the road just in the planning stage

It sounds as though you may have turned off the option to show supercharging along your planned trip and that's why it's showing your route without placing the charging stops along the way.
why would it show any then? It starts showing them about 500 miles into my trip. I saw your map and thank you but I would rather take I 70 to Grand Junction and go south.

why would it show any then? It starts showing them about 500 miles into my trip. I saw your map and thank you but I would rather take I 70 to Grand Junction and go south.
As far as general route planning -- I'd highly recommend A Better Route Planner, which is where the map I posted came from -- you can tell it you want to go through Grand Junction etc.

The car should automatically add charging stops along your route if you put your Phoenix destination in. I suspect that it could be a weird glitch that a reset of your car will fix -- try this first.

If that doesn't fix it. Route to your destination and then hit the "..." button next to "cancel" -- then hit the gear icon and you should have a list of options, including navigation volume, automatic navigation, trip planner, etc. Make sure "trip planner" is on. This is the setting that adds the supercharger stops.

Because what you're describing sounds so unusual, I highly suspect that rebooting the car will fix it (hold both scroll wheels for several seconds until the screen goes black).

As far as general route planning -- I'd highly recommend A Better Route Planner, which is where the map I posted came from -- you can tell it you want to go through Grand Junction etc.

The car should automatically add charging stops along your route if you put your Phoenix destination in. I suspect that it could be a weird glitch that a reset of your car will fix -- try this first.

If that doesn't fix it. Route to your destination and then hit the "..." button next to "cancel" -- then hit the gear icon and you should have a list of options, including navigation volume, automatic navigation, trip planner, etc. Make sure "trip planner" is on. This is the setting that adds the supercharger stops.

Because what you're describing sounds so unusual, I highly suspect that rebooting the car will fix it (hold both scroll wheels for several seconds until the screen goes black).
This will be such a Noob question very ok to laugh…. How do I reboot? I know I read or saw it somewhere but that was long before I took delivery😁

No not on the road just in the planning stage
So that was kind of my point - you can't really use the Tesla nav for route planning as it will use your CURRENT state of charge - and assuming you're going to start your trip with 95% or so, the SC stops won't be accurate until you actually leave and plug in the route. That's why ABRP is so valuable a tool.

Reactions: iamnid
I'll just add that as much as I like all modern tech and what it offers, whether built into the car(s), or on a phone, that on a substantially long road trip of known route, that I always always have a backup on paper with me. That would include all known possible stops for charging, food, hotels, etc. Trust it all on computers and phone connections and something bad might happen.

I'll just add that as much as I like all modern tech and what it offers, whether built into the car(s), or on a phone, that on a substantially long road trip of known route, that I always always have a backup on paper with me. That would include all known possible stops for charging, food, hotels, etc. Trust it all on computers and phone connections and something bad might happen.
I’m convinced that Tesla navigation planner tries to control your speed 😲🤦🏻‍♂️
Here is how; Just arrived into Chandler AZ from Corona CA..
My plan was to make my first SC stop in Indio CA,
I’m convinced that Tesla navigation trip planner tries to control your speed!
Just now arrived into Chandler AZ, from Corona CA. (About 350 miles)
My plan was to make my first SC stop at Indio CA. (100 miles) from there to Quartzite AZ (120 miles) last one at Buckeye AZ (100 miles) and on to my daughters house in Chandler AZ (60 miles) with that plan I could drive 75-90 mph without any concerns, enjoy the drive… 😃👍🏻 … BUT because I was driving with my wife and didn’t want to argue; She was totally set on following the Tesla screen plan 😲🤦🏻‍♂️😡

According to Tesla navigation, my first stop was at Cabazon (65 miles) then if I drove at 65 mph my schedule next stop would be Quartzite AZ 😬 with about 10-15% left. Note the Indio SC did not even appear on the screen 🤦🏻‍♂️.. Well since I was being passed by all vehicles including big huge loaded rigs, I decided to keep up with traffic and immediately the the Tesla screen showed I had to stop at a SC station just past the state line (Colorado river) then on to Buckeye.

My wife said if I didn’t stop at the designated SC stations, they would not be prepared to charge our MYP quickly 🤔😳.. By following their plan they also control your mph.. I call it being controlled if you allowed it.
My next trip without my wife I’ll stop wherever I want and truly enjoy my drive knowing I can go as fast as I like; That was the main reasons I purchased the MYP..

Well it does control your speed to the extent that it's trying to figure out how to get you to the next stop without running out of juice. Wait till you really push it, it'll start telling you that you have to drive 55mph or whatever it deems is needed. I don't like to cut it so close given we have an infant and a 2 year old... I like to have a 15% or so buffer. While not the fastest way to do it, to be honest, with a 2 year old, I NEED to stop every couple of hours anyway.

Reactions: Msicario