Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

True GPS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there true GPS in Tesla? It geolocates through satellites? Or does it try to locate through cellular connection like my iPhone. If I'm in an area with minimal cellular signal, the car still tracks my location, correct? The maps on the screen are loaded through cellular? Or are the maps stored in the internal memory?
I assume for the satellite radio, this is also supplied by the satellite, and no cellular connection required. Just double checking....

In both AP1 and AP2-cars, the GPS-antenna resides in the Liftgate, top left (under glazing).

On AP1-cars, the coax wire from the GPS-antenna, goes directly to the back of the MCU on a blue Amphenol connector. Inside the MCU, you have a dedicated GPS module from "U-Blox".

On AP2-cars, the coax wire from the GPS-antenna, goes to the Nvidia PX2 on a blue Rosenberger connector. I don't know if there is a dedicated GPS module in the PX2... But GPS signal should go from the PX2 to the MCU (navi) through CAN-bus or Ethernet or something of that nature

On purpose I navigated from a hotel to ski lodge to see the trip planner & map screens while about 1/2 of the trip was w/o AT&T signal on car & my iPhone. Maps displays less detail but my red triangle follows the path, the road I'm on, and the trip screen updates with % used and expected at end. Donno if it's saved maps, or predicted whatever, but quite nice to feel and be tracking at least something close.

The maps must be loaded through the cell connection. I've driven in large swaths of the Rockies where the maps, cell connection and Slacker all disappear.
But the GPS appears to function as time and distance remaining continues to stay accurate.

On purpose I navigated from a hotel to ski lodge to see the trip planner & map screens while about 1/2 of the trip was w/o AT&T signal on car & my iPhone. Maps displays less detail but my red triangle follows the path, the road I'm on, and the trip screen updates with % used and expected at end. Donno if it's saved maps, or predicted whatever, but quite nice to feel and be tracking at least something close.
This is called GPS "Dead Reckoning", and gives you "GPS" even inside sub sealevel, concrete tunnels. More info. The U-Blox module in the MCU is a "LEA-6R" (at least on AP1-cars, not sure about AP2), and this module provides for so called Dead Reckoning according to the spec.sheet

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vandacca