Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

True up date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning on changing my true up date to the first day of the month since this will make it easier to compare data. I was planning on making it January 1st because, well why not.
Since we can only do this one, I'd like to make sure I've considered everything. I did notice that if you generated more energy than used, SCE will pay according to a schedule based on your true up date. The rate seems to be different for every month but I couldn't figure out generally which month is better.
If you've changed your true up date, what were some of your considerations?

I'm planning on changing my true up date to the first day of the month since this will make it easier to compare data. I was planning on making it January 1st because, well why not.
Since we can only do this one, I'd like to make sure I've considered everything. I did notice that if you generated more energy than used, SCE will pay according to a schedule based on your true up date. The rate seems to be different for every month but I couldn't figure out generally which month is better.
If you've changed your true up date, what were some of your considerations?

I have mine (true up date) set in March. This way, I start off every year generating more than I am using, and have a credit at the "beginning of the year" (beginning of the true up period), that I then pull from when my consumption outpaces my production.

It makes me feel better to have a credit that I am pulling from, in the winter, than a deficit that I am trying to make up. If you set your true up date to January, you will likely always be starting off in the hole for january and february. I guess this somewhat depends on how much your solar covers on your yearly consumption. Mine right now is fairly spot on for covering my yearly consumption.

I have not sat down and calculated charges or anything. I just like seeing a negative number on my true up running balance, starting from the beginning of the true up period.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Depends. If one generates more than they consume, they when true up is might be impacted. But in the scope of stuff, not something I am going to mess with
I suppose if your rate changes that could be true. We are now going to a monthly true-up with this community power thing. But I guess we get a higher rate per kWh sent back than under PG&E.

EBCE? East Bay Community Energy? I can't find a EBCA.

If it is EBCE then it doesn't look like they have a monthly true-up, but they do bill monthly for generation charges and bank any credits ostentatiously to avoid bill shock on an annual basis. There is still the annual true-up for EBCE in April and on the PTO anniversary date for PG&E.

It seems like SVCE is the same way as there is a section on my PG&E blue bill with a breakdown on generation rates by peak and off-peak and by date period as the rates change based on averaged market costs every two(?) months.

Last edited:
EBCE? East Bay Community Energy? I can't find a EBCA.

If it is EBCE then it doesn't look like they have a monthly true-up, but they do bill monthly for generation charges and bank any credits ostentatiously to avoid bill shock on an annual basis. There is still the annual true-up for EBCE in April and on the PTO anniversary date for PG&E.

It seems like SVCE is the same way as there is a section on my PG&E blue bill with a breakdown on generation rates by peak and off-peak and by date period as the rates change based on averaged market costs every two(?) months.
Oops. You are correct EBCE. And thanks for the explanation. It sounds like a lot of NorCal is switching to community-based electric companies.

Oops. You are correct EBCE. And thanks for the explanation. It sounds like a lot of NorCal is switching to community-based electric companies.
There are definitely a number of CCAs that have formed recently as a local response to PG&E's reluctance to move to renewable energy sources and continued price increases. Accounts that switch are hit with a Power Charge Indifference Adjustment, PCIA, that is based on the year of the switch. This is supposed to offset long term energy contracts that were in place at the time.

The PCIA charge offsets the CCA lower generation costs leaving an actual savings of 0.5 to 1.5 cent per kWh. My vintage year is 2017 which was $0.03334 increased to $0.04407 on Jan 1st. The 2020 vintage year was $0.04243 and decreased to $0.02534 on Jan 1st. I would think that these would go to $0 over time, but once a fee always a fee probably applies.