Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trump threatens to end subsidies for electric vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure you can say that. Just not credibly. :p Breitbart was built from the ground up as a propaganda site, and it shows in the nonsense they pretend is "news"....including the very hack piece you linked to.

“We’re the platform for the alt-right,” Breitbart Executive Chairman, Steve Bannon

Anyway, back onto topic.....
I really hate that you are drawing people including me into political debates. But just to speak to your specific point...do you agree that msnbc is the voice of the alt-left? The left? Democrats? Who then?

again you prove my point

what point is that? what was factually incorrect about what i said?

trump regularly attacks anyone ad hominem who disagrees with him: fact.
he cannot unilaterally remove the tax credits without congress: fact.

you enjoy living in your own little world, i don't have time for this.

Last edited:
Carter's (or anyone else's) thoughts on nuclear power, proliferation, etc. were immaterial to the halt of new nuclear power plant production in the US. There was one and only one thing that caused that -- the Three Mile Island accident.

The anti-nuclear movement began well before TMI. Massive protests by the lunatic fringe started in the 1960's. Look up Diablo Canyon protests as an example. Even Carter stopped the reprocessing of fuel rods in 1977 as part of the 'denuclearization' of America.

TMI might have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but the incessant fighting over nuclear power is what really crippled the industry, and Carter was one of the protesters.

All the hand wringing about CO2 levels would have been sharply curtailed if the DNC didn't didn't demand more CO2 production in the 1970's by denuclearizing the US and poorly thought out emissions legislation. The future was clean electricity, and we as nation crushed that future.

If America's DNC Energy policy has taught us anything, it has been marksmanship. We are experts now at shooting ourselves in the foot.

Money bills, such as repealing the EV rebate, must originate in the House. The House, come January, will be controlled by the Dems. Don't know how he thinks he'll be able to get rid of them.
Yup, now only 30 calendar days until the current House dissolves which was the only window there was to try out of spite to hurt GM (and its workers it still has as collateral damage *facepalm*). Oh, and a Majority Leader we haven't heard a peep from in ages heading out the door to retirement. It was always going to be tight from the first time he shot off his mouth and this "as soon as 2020" is an aid to GM if anything (and definitely to Tesla) because GM's Tax Credit Window will be at least at the 1/2 and probably 1/4 by the second half of 2020.

My guess is the only thing this really is is trying to do is reframe the argument being put forward by GM, Tesla, and Nissan to somehow alter the Tax Credit program (primarily around the 200K unit limit) so that their vehicles continue to be eligible.

Last edited:
More specifically a Tesla EV site, it's right there in the name "Tesla Motors Club". ;) You're back now because you canceled your Jag order when you found out their range is the suck? :p

No, I'm just staying informed. I was looking at Teslas back when i-Pace range would have been a step up. I did let TSLA borrow some lunch money for a few years, but ended up with the Jag-You-Were (it hates being called Jag-Wire) i-Pace. It's a freakin' riot to drive. Love it. ;)
I just have to relearn a lot of my vocabulary and pronunciations. Bonnet, boot, lorry, motorway, take-aways, biscuits, crisps, etc. So much to learn. But It's cute to listen to the feminine British accent on the nav system. That in and of itself makes it worth taking it out for a brisk jaunt.

No, I'm just staying informed. I was looking at Teslas back when i-Pace range would have been a step up. I did let TSLA borrow some lunch money for a few years, but ended up with the Jag-You-Were (it hates being called Jag-Wire) i-Pace. It's a freakin' riot to drive. Love it. ;)
I just have to relearn a lot of my vocabulary and pronunciations. Bonnet, boot, lorry, motorway, take-aways, biscuits, crisps, etc. So much to learn. But It's cute to listen to the feminine British accent on the nav system. That in and of itself makes it worth taking it out for a brisk jaunt.
I love Jag u wires, have had 3 since 1970 and I spent lots of time working on the early ones. Drive them for an hour and work on them for 2 hours, but they were fun to drive and still loved them. Had it not been for Tesla I would still have one.

It was economics pure and simple. Economics killed nuclear.

And this isn't the nuclear thread.

I've often wondered why power is .11/kWh in France and they earn three billion euros a year selling electricity. Thanks!
Silly me with my .42/kWh natural gas power. I should be burning coal for economic reasons apparently.
Seriously, the only thing that makes solar worth it is our ultra high tariff schedules. If we could buy power for .11/kWh, solar would die in the US.

I've often wondered why power is .11/kWh in France and they earn three billion euros a year selling electricity. Thanks!
Silly me with my .42/kWh natural gas power. I should be burning coal for economic reasons apparently.
Seriously, the only thing that makes solar worth it is our ultra high tariff schedules. If we could buy power for .11/kWh, solar would die in the US.

This isn't the nuclear thread.

• Helpful
Reactions: ℬête Noire
OH!! I'm sorry. Is there a limit on the number of hijackings on political threads on a car board?
Can you forward me the table so I can keep track?
Thanks in advance!

Few posts in this thread are on topic.

The limit is zero. If you want to get schooled on how much of an economic nightmare nuclear power is we have a thread for that. That's why threads exist. The topic for each thread is easy to find. It's located at the top of the page.

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 7.40.16 PM.png

It would appear that this thread is for discussing EV subsidies....

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Money bills, such as repealing the EV rebate, must originate in the House. The House, come January, will be controlled by the Dems. Don't know how he thinks he'll be able to get rid of them.

This is not quite accurate... what the origination clause actually says is:

"All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives"

This usually is understood as meaning bills which impose a new tax (especially for general revenue)

A bill ending an industry-specific tax deduction early likely wouldn't be considered a "bill for raising Revenue" as it has been understood legally speaking.

Plus, of course, the Senate could simply amend literally any other bill the house sends them to add the subsidy kill, since the second part of the origination clause states 'the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills' and indeed the Senate has done exactly that in the past.

THAT said- none of that matters as it'd still need the house to pass the senate version to get to the presidents desk, so dead either way if they waited until after January to try it.... the window to do so would be before then, and they don't seem interested in the idea.

If I were a US President in 2018, and I wanted to stop the EV credit, I would have an injunction filed with the 9th Circuit, claiming that the tax credit effectively discriminates by race. Fewer minorities receive this tax credit. That's the way politics are played in the 21st century.

I don't say it's ethical, but it should work immediately after doing a research study about who gets the tax credit. No, the law is not biased, but that isn't the issue anymore. It's perception. Are minorities represented in the EV community? Not really. So the tax break is white privilege. That's how the Nutty Ninth has been ruling. The President would do it through a proxy state official or PAC. Heck, perhaps the SPLC would want a piece of the pie. They are in it for the bucks, and there could be some money to be had. No they don't profit directly, their members do. They are a non-profit run for the enrichment of their members.

1) Congress did not do their due diligence when considering diversity issues with this program.
2) When it was realized that in fact it was neglecting minorities, no action was taken.
3) Some states recognized that there was a diversity issue, and made corrections, but the IRS did not.
4) We request the program be suspended until a more inclusive framework can be established.

I know a lot of folks buy into the myth the 9th is so "out there" they're overturned more than all other courts- but it's still a myth.

No, 9th Circuit isn't 'most overturned court in the country'
Politifact is a left wing organization that is much harsher on republicans than democrats. Selection Bias? PolitiFact Rates Republican Statements as False at 3 Times the Rate of Democrats

The story you linked even states that although the 9th circuit is not the most overturned, it is overturned 79% by SCOTUS and more than most of the other circuits except two others. And then they actually state that in 2015 they were overturned in 8/11 cases brought before SCOTUS. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement so while factually inaccurate to claim they are the MOST overturned, I certainly would not call the claim a "myth"
They are overturned A LOT