Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trump threatens to end subsidies for electric vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL Breitbart. *eyeroll*

Same can be said for LOL CNN *eyeroll* which also routinely spews one-sided "Fake News" frequently from "anonymous sources" or people without corroborating evidence / witnesses claiming something happened decades ago.

Sure miss the days when news was almost exclusively actual facts, not B.S. spun for some political agenda.

Hey @Eclectic, curious about what you disagreed about my post?

1. Trump’s a bozo?
2. Trump’s an idiot?
3. “Clean coal”?
4. None of the above-just another brainwashed Trumpster?

Hope I don’t get banned for this:D
You really need to learn how to debate. Ad hominem, ad verecundiam, and ad populum arguments signal weakness in your position.
Learn some first, then stick to debating the actual facts and points. Understand the position and thoughts of your opponent, instead of dismissing them as idiots.
Or just throw your sucker in the dirt and cry louder :)

It was actually Jimmy Carter who shut down the nuclear expansion and increased fossil fuel production including coal. And back then coal was a lot dirtier.

Carter's (or anyone else's) thoughts on nuclear power, proliferation, etc. were immaterial to the halt of new nuclear power plant production in the US. There was one and only one thing that caused that -- the Three Mile Island accident.

Were it not for the TMI accident, the US would have a lot more nuclear plants today. There were several proposals going through the regulatory processes pre-construction in 1979 that were cancelled due to TMI. The South Texas Nuclear Project was one that was mid-construction and nearly got axed at that point, even though it would have meant billions of dollars lost. After cooler heads prevailed, they finally completed 2 of the proposed 4 units, although they didn't produce their first watt until 1988 (unit 1) and 1989 (unit 2), a full 10 years after TMI.

1) $34k+ is cheap? Interesting.
2) Long-range BEVs also run during blackouts or if the EVSE broke last night or tripped a breaker.
200/53 ~= 3.77
3) More expensive than economy cars.
4) That would be the 2019 model, the final model year of it.
5) No it isn't. Not even close.
6) It only become an EREV in 2019 when they gave it pure operation down to very low temperatures and a 30A charger that makes opportunity charging more likely to be worth it.
7) It's also not a CUV, it has poor headroom and wasn't promoted except after a terrible initial advertising campaign.

As someone who has been buying and using Volts since 2012 and is very familiar with their operation both on the street and track:

1) For a 2013 with options, a 2016 base, a 2017 loaded, we paid out the door, all taxes, fees, and discounts = <$84 k. $7k was sales tax.
2) Only if they were charged, and the blackout is temporary and not regional.
3) Out the door all taxes, fees, Nav, Leather, ACC (very good), AEB (very good), HUD warning, <$28k for the 2017 brand new, several to choose from, 2hr purchase time. Came with HOV stickers in an envelope. But it clicks off 7.8s to 60mph (my track computer). Price cars with those amenities. It's not that expensive.
4) Yes, that's why I typed 2019 Model, available for immediate purchase.
5) I did not say the most efficient. But after literally hundreds of 58.4 mile round trips on the freeway, it arrives with 0.5-1.9 kWh remaining. Let's do the math. Better than 58.4 miles per 14.0 kWhs = 4.17 mi/kWh (or 240 Wh / mi?). That's not too shabby. I know some Model S's that don't get that, which are noted for their high economy.
6) It's always been an EREV for us, both generations.
7) It will haul a pretty large object since in EV mode you can leave the hatch up, and we have trailer hitch for bigger items. It's not sold as a CUV.

It's not a religious icon, so the sooner one realizes that, the quicker they understand how they work.

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
You really need to learn how to debate. Ad hominem, ad verecundiam, and ad populum arguments signal weakness in your position.
Learn some first, then stick to debating the actual facts and points. Understand the position and thoughts of your opponent, instead of dismissing them as idiots.
Or just throw your sucker in the dirt and cry louder :)

it's hilarious to me that the people complaining about ad hominem attacks support the guy who regularly does it to ANYONE who disagrees with him.

To the original purpose of this thread:

For Tesla and GM it will level the playing field against the imports. None of the import companies (except perhaps Nissan) made a serious effort at EVs before the rebates will drop for Tesla and GM. We The People will soon be rewarding car companies for dragging their heels, especially Toyota and VW, the two largest automakers in the world.

They should either extend the rebates or drop them, but not punish the companies who were willing to sell EVs when battery prices were in the stratosphere.

That said, I bought my first import car in >25 years, and I'm not turning down the $10,450 in credits I will get for it. I bought it from a company that 'drug it's heels' even. Why? It looked like a cool toy. And it is. :D

Why did I wait so long before buying a BEV? I didn't see one I liked more than the Volt. No ACC on the Bolt, so no sale. I really liked the Bolt, but I've grown accustomed to ACC/AEB and won't buy cars without it anymore.

Reactions: Sealander
To the original purpose of this thread:

For Tesla and GM it will level the playing field against the imports. None of the import companies (except perhaps Nissan) made a serious effort at EVs before the rebates will drop for Tesla and GM. We The People will soon be rewarding car companies for dragging their heels, especially Toyota and VW, the two largest automakers in the world.

They should either extend the rebates or drop them, but not punish the companies who were willing to sell EVs when battery prices were in the stratosphere.

That said, I bought my first import car in >25 years, and I'm not turning down the $10,450 in credits I will get for it. I bought it from a company that 'drug it's heels' even. Why? It looked like a cool toy. And it is. :D

Why did I wait so long before buying a BEV? I didn't see one I liked more than the Volt. No ACC on the Bolt, so no sale. I really liked the Bolt, but I've grown accustomed to ACC/AEB and won't buy cars without it anymore.

i don't think anyone is arguing against dropping the subsidies, or against your point (that it will help gm and tesla in the end)...at least i'm not.

the problem is that it's either another blatant lie or show of gross incompetence by this administration. they either know full well they can't do this and don't care (and as such are lying to the american people by saying they can), or they don't actually realize that they can't unilaterally remove the tax credits. either one is bad.

Besides, he's supposedly working on getting the Chinese tariffs on US cars reduced.....
That had already happened, and the rest of the automotive exporting world is repeating the benefits of it. :p Tariffs on automobile imports to China had been heavily lowered this Summer (due to an longterm joint efforts to pressure China into doing that, that had been ongoing for years). The problem is because Trump's ongoing tit-for-tat trade war with China escalating there was a different, even larger, US-only tariff put in place.

It shouldn't be that hard to get it off now, though. China already got upside out of it, convincing companies that building production there is good for insulation from these flair ups of trade wars, and automobile imports don't really compete with the domestic market anyway right now. The imports are mostly very high end (EDIT:which is typical of automobile trade, for logistical/transport cost reasons), in contrast to the vast majority of local production, and in the case of Tesla China very much wants their cars sold in China anyway because every BEV is progress towards their BEV goals.

Last edited:
i don't think anyone is arguing against dropping the subsidies, or against your point (that it will help gm and tesla in the end)...at least i'm not.

the problem is that it's either another blatant lie or show of gross incompetence by this administration. they either know full well they can't do this and don't care (and as such are lying to the american people by saying they can), or they don't actually realize that they can't unilaterally remove the tax credits. either one is bad.

Oh. My bad. I mistook this for an EV site.

Same can be said for LOL CNN *eyeroll*

Sure you can say that. Just not credibly. :p Breitbart was built from the ground up as a propaganda site, and it shows in the nonsense they pretend is "news"....including the very hack piece you linked to.

“We’re the platform for the alt-right,” Breitbart Executive Chairman, Steve Bannon

Anyway, back onto topic.....

Last edited:
As someone who has been buying and using Volts since 2012 and is very familiar with their operation both on the street and track:

1) For a 2013 with options, a 2016 base, a 2017 loaded, we paid out the door, all taxes, fees, and discounts = <$84 k. $7k was sales tax.
2) Only if they were charged, and the blackout is temporary and not regional.
3) Out the door all taxes, fees, Nav, Leather, ACC (very good), AEB (very good), HUD warning, <$28k for the 2017 brand new, several to choose from, 2hr purchase time. Came with HOV stickers in an envelope. But it clicks off 7.8s to 60mph (my track computer). Price cars with those amenities. It's not that expensive.
4) Yes, that's why I typed 2019 Model, available for immediate purchase.
5) I did not say the most efficient. But after literally hundreds of 58.4 mile round trips on the freeway, it arrives with 0.5-1.9 kWh remaining. Let's do the math. Better than 58.4 miles per 14.0 kWhs = 4.17 mi/kWh (or 240 Wh / mi?). That's not too shabby. I know some Model S's that don't get that, which are noted for their high economy.
6) It's always been an EREV for us, both generations.
7) It will haul a pretty large object since in EV mode you can leave the hatch up, and we have trailer hitch for bigger items. It's not sold as a CUV.

It's not a religious icon, so the sooner one realizes that, the quicker they understand how they work.

Volt owners need to understand that those crazy prices are available purely due to ZEV credit arbitrage. You couldn't buy a Volt that cheap in Texas, for example.