Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Accidently left open wake-up call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
My 3 will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. We took a longish trip to Memphis this weekend, so had many 'firsts' with the car. One that ultimately caused no harm but did cause some significant anxiety for several minutes was in regards to the rear trunk.

What apparently happened is this. We had been driving from place to place, sometimes putting things in the trunk, sometimes taking them out. At one point I was going to get out the UMC, but then decided not to. While talking and distracted and dealing with other things we went inside. Apparently during all that activity I had hit the button to open the trunk. That's well and good, but then I didn't remember that I'd done that, and there's no easy visual clue that the trunk is unlatched. The car interior lights don't come on, there's no real increased gap around the trunk, etc. As it turns out, I had my camera gear in the vehicle to the tune of about $20,000 in value that would have been quickly walked away with had anyone bothered to test the trunk.

I just happened to check the battery charge a short time after we got inside and noticed on the graphic that it showed the trunk open. Fortunately, nothing was touched.

We've had somewhat similar issues with our Model X where the FWD came up when the button on the fob was inadvertently hit while we were in a nearby building. Someone rummaged around inside, left a few empty beer cans, but otherwise, fortunately, took nothing.

I'm sure it's a low priority, but I'd love if the app notifications sent a reminder if your trunk, frunk, or any door was left open for more than 5 minutes without any other activity occurring. You can always just go "yeah, I'm working on something" if it's not relevant. But if you just got to a movie theater and it's going to sit there open for 2 hours it would be nice to be alerted to it.

Secondarily, I'd sure like to find a way to get that trunk to open all the way when you hit the 'open' button, that would make it a lot easier to notice/fix.

My 3 will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. We took a longish trip to Memphis this weekend, so had many 'firsts' with the car. One that ultimately caused no harm but did cause some significant anxiety for several minutes was in regards to the rear trunk.

What apparently happened is this. We had been driving from place to place, sometimes putting things in the trunk, sometimes taking them out. At one point I was going to get out the UMC, but then decided not to. While talking and distracted and dealing with other things we went inside. Apparently during all that activity I had hit the button to open the trunk. That's well and good, but then I didn't remember that I'd done that, and there's no easy visual clue that the trunk is unlatched. The car interior lights don't come on, there's no real increased gap around the trunk, etc. As it turns out, I had my camera gear in the vehicle to the tune of about $20,000 in value that would have been quickly walked away with had anyone bothered to test the trunk.

I just happened to check the battery charge a short time after we got inside and noticed on the graphic that it showed the trunk open. Fortunately, nothing was touched.

We've had somewhat similar issues with our Model X where the FWD came up when the button on the fob was inadvertently hit while we were in a nearby building. Someone rummaged around inside, left a few empty beer cans, but otherwise, fortunately, took nothing.

I'm sure it's a low priority, but I'd love if the app notifications sent a reminder if your trunk, frunk, or any door was left open for more than 5 minutes without any other activity occurring. You can always just go "yeah, I'm working on something" if it's not relevant. But if you just got to a movie theater and it's going to sit there open for 2 hours it would be nice to be alerted to it.

Secondarily, I'd sure like to find a way to get that trunk to open all the way when you hit the 'open' button, that would make it a lot easier to notice/fix.

We live in a neighborhood here in Orange County where people that don’t live in the neighborhood volunteer to check to make sure cars a locked at 3am. If the cars are unlocked they help themselves to donations inside the car. That being said I always check to be sure the car is locked at all times.

This reminds me of when my wife took our Tesla to the mall for some indian food (yes one of the best indian places here in Orange County is actually in a food court at the local mall that also happens to have a Tesla Supercharger). Turns out she was so excited about getting indian food with her friend that she left her phone in the car. She came back an hour later and there was no volunteers checking car doors and the car was still there.

We live in a neighborhood here in Orange County where people that don’t live in the neighborhood volunteer to check to make sure cars a locked at 3am. If the cars are unlocked they help themselves to donations inside the car. That being said I always check to be sure the car is locked at all times.

This reminds me of when my wife took our Tesla to the mall for some indian food (yes one of the best indian places here in Orange County is actually in a food court at the local mall that also happens to have a Tesla Supercharger). Turns out she was so excited about getting indian food with her friend that she left her phone in the car. She came back an hour later and there was no volunteers checking car doors and the car was still there.
We have those same volunteers down here in San Diego! In fact, they are so kind, that they will check for you in the middle of the day, even if your car is in your driveway. I've yet to have them help out and lock the doors, but they certainly have helped themselves to my sunglasses.

• Funny
Reactions: paco878
We have those same volunteers down here in San Diego! In fact, they are so kind, that they will check for you in the middle of the day, even if your car is in your driveway. I've yet to have them help out and lock the doors, but they certainly have helped themselves to my sunglasses.

We’ve named our volunteers “The Walking Meth”.

We have found our self with a non locked car due to the wife's fob being inside the car when I walk away with mine. Even with the car is locked, you could still push the handle and the car would open. So, we ensure both fobs are with us if we travel with both. .

Yup I left my trunk open overnight one time. Didn't know until the next day when driving the car, and it started beeping alerting me of the trunk being open. Luckily with the Model 3, it's hard to tell visually that the trunk isn't closed.

That 3am watch group... they have a Round Rock, TX Chapter that offers the same service. A week ago, they did a neighbor a solid by removing four wheels and tires that might have been a danger to the owner, free of charge. I'm sure those replacements are coming any day now.

Reactions: pandam3

Our local NorCal volunteers relieved my husband of his catalytic converter TWICE before he finally wised up and had it welded in place. One less thing to worry about with the Model 3!