Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk fascia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The chrome strip that runs between the tail lights (above the license plate) underwent a subtle change. The letters T E S L A are now raised and much thicker compared to the older version, which has a slightly embossed quality.

Here's the older version:
lt5tP6L.jpg

and the newer version:
xTDQ3so.jpg

So its literally just the letters are bigger and stick out more? My friend was talking to a shop about getting it wrapped and the owner said that there is a distinction. The ones after 2015, they have to leave the letter exposed. Not sure why they cannot wrap it.

So its literally just the letters are bigger and stick out more?
As far as I know, yes.

I'm trying to imagine putting a sheet of wrap over that second strip and then eliminating all the air pockets around the raised letters without leaving any wrinkles. I'd think it would be very tough to put wrap over that section without cutting out around the letters, which would be a huge pain. Are they putting wrap over the 'MODEL S' and model number badges, or do they usually take those badges off and then put them back on top of the wrap? Seems like a similar problem.

Reason for change was mainly fog/moisture in the small, outer glasses on the original chrome bar
Wow, it took me a long time to notice that change! It's even more subtle than the raised lettering. (Look at the ends of the chrome strip. The little translucent cutout goes all the way to end of the strip in the old version, but there is more chrome at the end in the new version.)

So its literally just the letters are bigger and stick out more? My friend was talking to a shop about getting it wrapped and the owner said that there is a distinction. The ones after 2015, they have to leave the letter exposed. Not sure why they cannot wrap it.

I had the original and had it replaced with the newer version - both wrapped. I helped my wrap guy do it and I can see why there might be some concern about wrapping the newer version because at the edges of the raised lettering the wrap tends to lift up causing the letters to sort of have a "bubble" look. We worked hard around the letter edges and put down some primer to make it stick better which helped, but it does raise slightly. Most people probably wouldn't even notice it. Good luck!

I had the original and had it replaced with the newer version - both wrapped. I helped my wrap guy do it and I can see why there might be some concern about wrapping the newer version because at the edges of the raised lettering the wrap tends to lift up causing the letters to sort of have a "bubble" look. We worked hard around the letter edges and put down some primer to make it stick better which helped, but it does raise slightly. Most people probably wouldn't even notice it. Good luck!

From the pictures, the newer one doesn't look that much more embossed. That was what the shop said to me. The new ones, they have to expose the TESLA letters and cut them out. The old ones, they could wrap the entire strip with the TESLA letters. Didn't know the embossed letters made it that much more difficult to wrap.

See below on how they would wrap the 2015+ Tesla trunk trim.

unnamed.jpg

Reactions: Maximapolak
Maybe this low quality image helps explain the "bubble" look I mentioned above. From normal viewing distance, most people probably wouldn't even notice this. This was less apparent when the letters weren't raised as much as they are on the newer version.

Bubble Wrap.jpg

FWIW, apparently there are 3 generations of rear applique for the S:

Original 2012-2013--1 piece, low profile letters, plastic lenses over backup lights--prone to moisture/fogging issues.
2nd gen (?2014-2015)--1 piece, but now with higher profile letters, no clear lenses (so no fogging issues).
3rd gen (?2016)--2 piece system, with the curved applique having cutouts for the letters, with a 2nd insert piece for the letters themselves.

Not sure why gen 3 created, but might help with engineering or fabrication.

Why do I know/care? Artsci (..search here) has been doing mods, and he produces a replacement rear applique that has the letters as LEDS with a controller. He knows all of the various generations, has fabricated appliques (in Tesla OEM paint colors), etc.

You can get info at www.evappliques.com, or reach him here.

For those who really ant to wrap/change out the look of your applique, maybe getting a replacement would be easier.

• Informative
Reactions: benjiejr