Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Harness Recall - now there is rattling noise on bumpy road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not likely from the recall. All they do is zip tie a piece of rubber to the wire conduit on your trunk hinge. You can open your trunk and take a look at it. The picture below is where they would put the rubber guide. The picture is not mine so it doesn't have it but if you look at your car in the same spot there should be an obvious guide zip tied to that conduit right there.

camera-cable-2~2.jpg

Upvote 0
The shouldn't be replacing the harness unless your camera was out or intermittent. If they did replace the harness you can look for broken clips on the trunk lid. When you open the trunk the plastic interior piece just pulls off. It's held on by a bunch of plastic clips.

The other thing they may have pulled out is the rear deck. It's not really held on by much. Even mine rattles. I can't get it to stop.

The car has rectangular metal slots near the back window. The rear deck has plastic pins that go into them then there is just a clip on the left and right. When you pull it out you slide it towards you and when you put it in you push towards the window and the clips on the right and left lock. It just moved around and makes noise sometimes.

Upvote 0
It seems they replaced harness even though I had no issue with rear view camera. It is mentioned in invoice "Remove and replaced trunk lid harness". The rattling noise does not come when opening/closing trunk but it comes when driving over bumpy/rough road. I believe rattling noise is coming from back pillar (c-pillar) on right side of back seats. It appears they open it as it is no more flushed as the other side and I can peek into it.

Upvote 0
In hindsight - would you recommend getting that recall done? I’ve seen pictures in another forum where replacing the rear harness requires removing C pillar covers inside, removing parts of the rear seat and all kinds of other stuff which involves a gazillion plastic clips and we all know how “careful” those get handled in SCs or by mobile. My rear camera never cuts out and I frankly don’t use the trunk much at all…. I’m thinking about leaving it as is and should it fail get the recall done or just before I sell the vehicle…. Not looking to pick up even more rattles for fixing a problem which may never occur….

Upvote 0