Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Lock Behavior Changed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I beg to differ with you. I have tried both settings of Driver Door Unlock and still cannot get the trunk to open with the button when nearby with the fob or phone. Something changed but I don't remember what software upgrade this started with.
The wife is very annoyed with this. She has to get into the car and use the touch screen to open the damn trunk now as he fob is buried deep in the bottom of her purse. Having to grab your phone and start the app and all that is a time consuming process to boot. Why when we have unlock the car checked when at home can't the trunk be unlocked also? This is maddening for me to find a fix.
To add, I have found that I cannot open the driver's door some last nights without having the fob or using the Tesla phone app and this is when at home with car unlock at home checked.
Like so many other glitches that come and go with software updates lately, I just have to believe they are pushing out these updates with less and less quality control checking.

I beg to differ with you. I have tried both settings of Driver Door Unlock and still cannot get the trunk to open with the button when nearby with the fob or phone. Something changed but I don't remember what software upgrade this started with.
The wife is very annoyed with this. She has to get into the car and use the touch screen to open the damn trunk now as he fob is buried deep in the bottom of her purse. Having to grab your phone and start the app and all that is a time consuming process to boot. Why when we have unlock the car checked when at home can't the trunk be unlocked also? This is maddening for me to find a fix.
To add, I have found that I cannot open the driver's door some last nights without having the fob or using the Tesla phone app and this is when at home with car unlock at home checked.
Like so many other glitches that come and go with software updates lately, I just have to believe they are pushing out these updates with less and less quality control checking.
Make sure you check all the driver profiles for the lock settings. It may be driver specific. If this was software bug, everyone would be having the same problem. That is clearly not happening.

I read somewhere, may have even been on this thread, that the home address can be off by quite a ways depending on how much of a driveway you have, and where Google has you. If you upgrade your Google point for your home address to be close to where you actually park your car, some of these problems might go away. We have a moderately long driveway, about 100 ft, but don't have any of these problems with our 2018 model X. Neither did we have that sort of problem with the S. Hopefully this will help you!

I read somewhere, may have even been on this thread, that the home address can be off by quite a ways depending on how much of a driveway you have, and where Google has you. If you upgrade your Google point for your home address to be close to where you actually park your car, some of these problems might go away. We have a moderately long driveway, about 100 ft, but don't have any of these problems with our 2018 model X. Neither did we have that sort of problem with the S. Hopefully this will help you!
I don't think you read that on this thread, and I also find it difficult to believe. While I could be wrong about what Google will let Tesla do for free vs what they will charge them for, it seems infeasible that Tesla would be using the Google Maps API for this while simultaneously building their own navigation because they don't want to pay for that access. However, regardless of whether or not that workaround might work in some eventuality (Google reviews and corrects it, possibly Tesla subsequently copies that data to their system), if the issue were with the location not matching, a quicker solution would be to change your home address to match the address consistently shown on the app when the vehicle is parked in its normal location.

I don't think you read that on this thread, and I also find it difficult to believe. While I could be wrong about what Google will let Tesla do for free vs what they will charge them for, it seems infeasible that Tesla would be using the Google Maps API for this while simultaneously building their own navigation because they don't want to pay for that access. However, regardless of whether or not that workaround might work in some eventuality (Google reviews and corrects it, possibly Tesla subsequently copies that data to their system), if the issue were with the location not matching, a quicker solution would be to change your home address to match the address consistently shown on the app when the vehicle is parked in its normal location.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure where I read it. It wasn't that you change the address, but rather that the Google pin for the address is a long ways from the garage. Whoever was writing it was able to go online and change it directly within Google. Tesla only uses their data, not their API. At least, that's how I understand it! Apparently I'm not exactly an expert. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: mxnym