Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk not opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
Got home from a game of bowls this morning, parked in the garage, took the bowls bag out of the trunk and went inside.
half an hour later had a message on my phone that the trunk was open - went into the garage to find it apparently shut.
However, every time I tried to open it using the screen the fob or the button below the plate, it opened and when it got fully open there were three beeps and it closed again.
The fourth time of trying it didn't move from closed - just gave the three beeps. It's closed, but not locked - about ¼" open: I can push it fully closed but it springs back to that position. It can't be moved up manually, either.
I've done the two finger salute twice - no change. I crawled behind the seats and tried the manual release but even with a strong pull there was no movement, and I saw from other posts that the string is easily broken.
I suppose it's possible that a fuse has gone but I have no idea where they are!
I'm 180 miles from the SC and there's no ranger system here outside a few miles from Sydney so if anyone has any ideas I'd be most grateful!
2020 Model S LR, BTW.

When I had a similar issue a part had to be replaced. Here is my complaint and what they did:
Concern: My power liftgate is not working. It is closed and seems to be latched but the car reports it is open. I cannot open it. I tried pulling up and pushing down. When I press the button on the liftgate the car beeps 3 times, but it does not unlatch. Same thing if I try to open it with the key, the app, or from the main screen. I cannot lock the car with the key or the app. When I drive I get a loud beeping sound for the first minute or two. I reset the MCU and that did not help. I tried releasing the liftgate from the emergency release inside. It did not work and a piece of plastic pulled off the pull string.

Replaced the tailgate cinching motor to restore proper function of the tailgate.
Correction: Actuator - Cinching (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added: CINCHING ACTUATOR(1003549-00-B)

Search the forum for "cinch actuator" - there are a couple threads with good info. It's a relatively common failure.

Word of advice, if it's open, or at least partly open, DON'T try and force it closed - keep it open at all costs! If it gets stuck shut, a $300 USD repair becomes an ~$800 USD repair because they essentially have to pry it open and damage a bunch of trim components and other stuff in the process.

Search the forum for "cinch actuator" - there are a couple threads with good info. It's a relatively common failure.

Word of advice, if it's open, or at least partly open, DON'T try and force it closed - keep it open at all costs! If it gets stuck shut, a $300 USD repair becomes an ~$800 USD repair because they essentially have to pry it open and damage a bunch of trim components and other stuff in the process.
Too late!
I've just got in from sticking rags in between the trunk door and the frame to stop it rattling - it was "locked" shut but not that final pull that it should do. Then I found, unlike yesterday, I could push it open from inside.
I got out and still found nothing would make it open or close with its motor but if I banged it down it appeared to "lock" ie., couldn't be opened by pulling it up.
(5 mins later) Went out to see if the trunk was still "openable" - and it was. But only manually, motor wouldn't run.
(10 mins later) Found the motor now DOES open and close the trunk - but still no cinch lock. Weird.

I know what it is exactly. It sometimes gets stuck. You can do this without service appointment. Last time it happened to me, the rear boot cover was too far rearward and stopped the cinch motor from pulling completely shut. I can slide my arm up between the rear trim (obove the RHS rear wheel well) unplug the connector, re attach and open. Takes about 10 seconds when you know what you're doing.
Follow this thread. Rear trunk won't open
I posted a link to a video: Rear trunk won't open

Thanks for that link - rather difficult to follow because the large print obscures the video and by the time it's read we're on to the next bit!
Since I'm well within warranty and have to do the drive down to Sydney I've arranged a SC visit next week - I will keep up to date and bookmark the video for future reference!