Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk only opening halfway sometimes after 2022.8.3 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bro1999

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
Ever since I updated to 2022.8.3, I've had issues with the trunk only opening 1/3 or 1/2 before stopping. I've done the "adjust trunk opening height, hold button 3 seconds to re-set the open/close position" but I've had the trunk go back to opening only 1/2 way 2 more times now. Anyone else experiencing this?

Reactions: father_of_6
I set up an appointment and they responded with this and a phone call. It will be handled shortly with update.
DFD453DF-1CA1-4F06-AFEC-391DC6AE8650.png

Mine started doing this with 8.2, recently updated to 8.3 and it's still happening.

Another thread on the topic:

Glad to hear it's a bug, thought I was going to need my first service!

Tim

Reactions: DocHolliday
OK, so it's a software bug. How do you screw something so basic up?
Maybe trying out a safety upgrade, using sensors to stop the trunk if it's hitting a wall, and it's buggy with people standing there?

IDK, I'm on 8.3 and it seems to work ok so far. And no evidence yet that the above is a thing, so I'm just making stuff up.

But something like that, maybe more subtle, could be messed up (might be just tweaking the safety stop setting already there?)

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Maybe trying out a safety upgrade, using sensors to stop the trunk if it's hitting a wall, and it's buggy with people standing there?

IDK, I'm on 8.3 and it seems to work ok so far. And no evidence yet that the above is a thing, so I'm just making stuff up.

But something like that, maybe more subtle, could be messed up (might be just tweaking the safety stop setting already there?)
I just got 2022.8.3 yesterday after getting home. Will have to check it out today.

Opened the trunk today after receiving 2022.8.3 yesterday (but no thumbwheel reboot after the update) and the trunk opened fully. I did a reboot before driving today.

Next time I opened the trunk, it only opened halfway. I reset the trunk be manually opening it fully then long-pressing the close button.

Got home and tried opening twice, once from the app and once with the trunk handle switch. Both times it opened all the way.

Mine started doing this too and I figured it would end up being software. This thread just confirms it.

I just have to ask though. How do they manage to screw things up like this? What developer thought to go into the code that would somehow prevent a trunk from opening? Do they not have a testing script that checks all aspects of the cars' performance before release? I worked in IT and something like this just wouldn't happen.

Reactions: XPsionic
Mine started doing this too and I figured it would end up being software. This thread just confirms it.

I just have to ask though. How do they manage to screw things up like this? What developer thought to go into the code that would somehow prevent a trunk from opening? Do they not have a testing script that checks all aspects of the cars' performance before release? I worked in IT and something like this just wouldn't happen.

Totally agree. It’s a good thing these people aren’t trying to write software to run something truly complicated, like Full Self Driving….Wait…

LOL someone posted a snip of what their service advisor said... something like they tried to make the trunk sensor more sensitive so it would stop incase it was about to hit something. Anyway, obviously they made it way too sensitive.

Umm... Is the trunk lid supposed to fully open? If so, was this an optional feature? My 2018 Model 3 just unlatches the trunk when I push the on-screen button, but it doesn't open.

Sorry if this is a dumb question... I'm new here.