Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Top panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 had an unfinished look with the top panel missing in the trunk.... so I saw this product on amazon and order it and install only took me 15 min.... I flipped the seats down and laid on my back to install the first portion....the trunk now has a finished OEM look.

Attachments

• 58BC5289-5CEC-46CD-B005-99E21B9AE7EB.jpeg
    58BC5289-5CEC-46CD-B005-99E21B9AE7EB.jpeg
    408 KB · Views: 1,632
Reactions: cbaaz and SoManyM3s
That looks nice. Did you have the plastic Trunk Garnish in place before. Can't tell if you went over top of the Trunk Garnish or if you removed it first. I know some early models did not come with the Trunk Garnish.

Here is a photo of before and after the Trunk Garnish. Still lots of exposed metal with just the Trunk Garnish in place.

Dhbx7UkW4AIdvw6.jpg

I have the trunk deck fabric cover from eBay. Like yours, it doesn’t seem to cover the corners by the seats. There are quite a few sellers now, so maybe someone is selling one that does.

Doesn’t seem to negatively affect the subwoofer.

Attachments

• 4FE441CE-9B86-44B5-A202-BFF6FA240014.jpeg
    4FE441CE-9B86-44B5-A202-BFF6FA240014.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 854
  • 3965E824-569B-451E-9FEA-A5E6AD732B44.jpeg
    3965E824-569B-451E-9FEA-A5E6AD732B44.jpeg
    433.6 KB · Views: 844
My model 3 had an unfinished look with the top panel missing in the trunk.... so I saw this product on amazon and order it and install only took me 15 min.... I flipped the seats down and laid on my back to install the first portion....the trunk now has a finished OEM look.

Did you notice any improvement in sound level inside the cabin, after installation? Cost? Link?

Did you notice any improvement in sound level inside the cabin, after installation? Cost? Link?
That looks nice. Did you have the plastic Trunk Garnish in place before. Can't tell if you went over top of the Trunk Garnish or if you removed it first. I know some early models did not come with the Trunk Garnish.

Here is a photo of before and after the Trunk Garnish. Still lots of exposed metal with just the Trunk Garnish in place.

View attachment 437175

The plastic piece is there on mine.... the carpet covers over that piece with some double face tape... and had to use the gasket to prop it into place.... otherwise a worthy investment!

I have the trunk deck fabric cover from eBay. Like yours, it doesn’t seem to cover the corners by the seats. There are quite a few sellers now, so maybe someone is selling one that does.

Doesn’t seem to negatively affect the subwoofer.

Yes looks like the same stuff... the corners are exposed.... but that doesn’t bother me as much as the window vent to the trunk.... which I have no idea what that is for????

I have this cover as well, mostly because I'd like to reduce road noise entering through the trunk. I did some before/after testing with the NIOSH sound level meter app on an iPhone 8. To get a reproducable signal, I placed a Bluetooth speaker in the trunk, and used another phone to play brown noise (which sounds similar to road noise) through the speaker at maximum volume. The A/C was turned off. Here are the dB (A) levels reported by the app, measured from the driver seat:

Without cover:
Quiet: 28 dB
With noise: 56 dB

With cover:
Quiet: 28 dB
With noise: 51 dB

5 dB is a perceptible, but not very big noise reduction. I haven't done any subjective testing on the highway yet (which is where I find the road noise most bothersome).

Some notes on the cover: I replaced the 3M adhesive tape next to the vent with industrial grade Velcro, because I didn't like the semi-permanent installation. Works fine. I'm not quite happy with mounting the rear of the cover over the plastic garnish, so if I decide to keep it I'll probably trim the cover and try to squeeze the edge under the garnish.

Regarding airflow, there is a bit of room between the cover and the top of the trunk, so I don't think it blocks airflow completely (which is a good thing IMO, since the main purpose of the trunk vent is probably to provide an exhaust for the HVAC system via the exhaust flaps behind the rear bumper).

The trunk garnish is easily removed. There is a pin on each side you pull up and then take the pin out. The garnish can be gently pried off, jut a few clips holding it in. Then you could trim new trunk cover/liner to fit under the garnish, then snap the garnish back in place. Easy to see how once you get your head inside the trunk and then look up.

The trunk garnish is easily removed. There is a pin on each side you pull up and then take the pin out. The garnish can be gently pried off, jut a few clips holding it in. Then you could trim new trunk cover/liner to fit under the garnish, then snap the garnish back in place. Easy to see how once you get your head inside the trunk and then look up.
Way ahead of you. ;) It is a bit more difficult than it sounds though, because the garnish doesn't click back into place if you leave too much material. You need to trim exactly to the point where it just fits without leaving a gap. Using Velcro instead of the adhesive strips helped because I was able to make small adjustments. But it turned out well.

Untitled.jpg

Unknown the true reason the opening is there, but lots of speculation.

On the newer Model 3 the opening is not there, It is filled in with a a fiber like material. I have also seen a photo of no cutout at all and it was just metal.

Edit: Not sure what @jebinc has...fiber material or metal?

Strangely, mine doesn’t have this opening. Build date 6/19. We are talking under then parcel shelf, right?
They may have redirected the airflow in cars that no longer have the vent opening. There must be some way for air pumped into the cabin by the HVAC system to escape (when it's not in recirculation mode), otherwise it would be difficult to get fresh air into and humidity and CO2 out of the cabin. Other cars often have vents around the rear seats, but I haven't found any in my Model 3 except the vent on the rear deck.

There had to be some reason Tesla put that opening there. Could it be for venting? Could it be for access? Does anyone know why it's there?

I'm pretty sure it's for venting all the hot air out of a parked car. I've heard a fan running underneath the rear bumper when I was remote cooling it and the car was over 100F.

Before buying this, I'd want to see some cooling comparisons with the cover on and off.

You could always perforate the cover under the factory opening (if you have one). Air definitely flows into the trunk from there if the HVAC isn’t on recirculate. It does let a lot of sound in from the trunk. It will effect the subwoofer spl in the car a bit as well as it maybe reduce road noise a slight amount.