Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awful idea.
For a mall cruiser it may not matter though.

Do you mean it is a awful idea NOT to have a full size spare on the CT? I agree completely.

In the render below you can see the rear tailgate mounting option for full size spares that will require a custom rear bumper with swing out arms (not shown) and in the reflection on the ground you can see the MS motor and a underside mounted wheel/rim that gets close to the rear bumper edge and diff housing because of it's diameter. Tyre size is scaled to dimensions, just has a different more off road wheel/tyre combo (that I din't have to draw from scratch!) There is a it of vertical height in that under bed cavity to juggle things around still. Definitely possible.

Spare Wheel Options.png

Do you mean it is a awful idea NOT to have a full size spare on the CT? I agree completely.

In the render below you can see the rear tailgate mounting option for full size spares that will require a custom rear bumper with swing out arms (not shown) and in the reflection on the ground you can see the MS motor and a underside mounted wheel/rim that gets close to the rear bumper edge and diff housing because of it's diameter. Tyre size is scaled to dimensions, just has a different more off road wheel/tyre combo (that I din't have to draw from scratch!) There is a it of vertical height in that under bed cavity to juggle things around still. Definitely possible.

View attachment 483882
What did you draw that in and can I get a copy in DXF or Dwg?
I agree, the best option would be able to choose if you want the storage compartment or a spare tire, but the tire should be accessible from underneath
Awesome job!

View attachment 483882
This works for me, easy to access and doesn't take up any protected storage.

View attachment 483882

That look is good for an SUV. Not so much for a truck. The bumper, carrier and wheels (and additional reinforcement to the body) are going to add 300-400 pounds to the back end. Figure 115-130lbs each for a 35 inch tire/rim combo. 125-150 lbs or more for the bumper and swing racks. I have no idea how you could hang that on sheet steel but the body will need some material added.
I say put it underneath like any full size truck. Minimal weight and its out of the way. Forget the bed compartment thing.
I've changed a lot of tires in miserable conditions and never failed because it was mounted underneath. You may get dirty though.

Honda makes the Ridgeline / Chev makes the Avalanche. I had an Avalanche up until about a year ago, and it did not have embedded storage compartment like that. However... it did have a factory tonneau cover, that was a 3pc locking sections, (also a locking tailgate, so you could lock stuff in your "vault", and that was in fact, quite handy!) rubber seals to keep out water and debris, and kinda strong enough to walk on. It leaked. And in the winter, getting it open could be a challenge, also frost/ice really wanted to pull the rubber seals apart. Despite its weaknesses though, it was all in all, a handy feature. It also had this "mid gate" so the wall behind the seats could fold down, as well as the back seats, leaving you over 8ft of bed with the tailgate closed (and locked) No one else has ever done this, and it was one of the single best features of the Avalanche. Kinda wish Tesla might have incorporated that... maybe they just didn't think of it yet? :) Someone want to suggest it to Elon?

• Informative
Reactions: Blup85
Well if want to have a full size spare I think we need to get this message to Tesla somehow and make a persuasive argument to make it happen. I really couldn't really care about the bed trunk provided we get a full size spare that drops down or slides out.

There are a few Cybertruck designs on thingiverse and Grabcad websites that are available to download.
This design is proprietary for a RV project atm.

That look is good for an SUV. Not so much for a truck. The bumper, carrier and wheels (and additional reinforcement to the body) are going to add 300-400 pounds to the back end. Figure 115-130lbs each for a 35 inch tire/rim combo. 125-150 lbs or more for the bumper and swing racks. I have no idea how you could hang that on sheet steel but the body will need some material added.

As I mentioned in the original post the idea would be to have a swing away wheel rack that is attached to a custom steel rear bumper. Nothing would be attached to the vehicle tailgate or walls. The other problem with this is of course that the rear wheels need to be swung out of the way before letting the tailgate down. Overall I agree the full size spare should go underneath. The question is how do we convince Tesla to do so?