Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Came across this in the motortrend story, hadn’t seen it anywhere else so thought I’d post it. If anyone has a shot of the rumored frunk please post.
A3B807D5-F3EA-4715-94DB-C281C2BD71BA.jpeg

How will that TrFrunk hold up to heavy rocks and dirt dumped on it. Will water stay out of it?
If you wash out the back of the truck is it going to fill up and get dirty?
I'm guessing it is inaccessible if you have a load in the back, so be wary of what is in there.

• Disagree
Reactions: Electruck
Where's the spare tire??? Going off-road without a full-size spare tire is insane.
Hopefully the spare is hung from under the bed in the back. Putting it under a hatch in the bed is just daring Murphy to give you a flat when you are hauling a truckload of dirt (or worse). Congratulations - not only do you have the chore of changing the tire, you get the fun job of shoveling 3500 lbs of compost out of your truck and then back in again.

Keeping that auto tonneau cover clean and operable has me a little concerned. Dust, dirt, rocks, accumulating might easily jammed things up. I'm curious to hear from people with automated aftermarket covers.

good point. That will require some engineering... Falcon wing doors were more difficult?

seems like we will need access to the cover storage area...

Reactions: Blup85
Here's where we separate the wheat from the chaff, of 'bots posting; the Honda Avalanche has had the SAME feature for almost 10 years now. It's no secret "of the truck world".

I don't own a Honda Avalanche, and I am AWARE the trunk-in-bed has a LONG design existence. If YOU believe it's a negative, then don't buy the CT, the Avalanche, or the Dodge trucks either. If YOU need to BEWARE of such a wonderful idea, then move along....

Here's where we separate the wheat from the chaff, of 'bots posting; the Honda Avalanche has had the SAME feature for almost 10 years now. It's no secret "of the truck world".

I don't own a Honda Avalanche, and I am AWARE the trunk-in-bed has a LONG design existence. If YOU believe it's a negative, then don't buy the CT, the Avalanche, or the Dodge trucks either. If YOU need to BEWARE of such a wonderful idea, then move along....

If you could quote the post you are referring to it will be less confusing for me.

cheers!

Honda =/ Avalanche

I'm doing a detailed CAD drawing of CT that is dimensionally accurate to the nearest 1-2 cm or so. With the trunk in the bed there won't be enough room in the back to fit a full size spare wheel. The only place it could fit is in the front under the dash...which seems a silly place but could work as the dash has a massive volume underneath that is unused. It could slide out the front under the frunk hood. Dunno about how that fairs for crash testing though.

So we might not actually be getting a full size spare, those tyres a massive which doesn't help. If we take the trunk out it will just fit between the rear bumper and a model s sized powertrain, as the driveshaft output "should" to be centered to wheel hubs as well.

We should really partition Tesla to provision a full size spare either way, even if we loose the trunk. It should be possible to mount the wheel from underneath so it can be removed without emptying the bed. Technically if the rear bumper was in three peices one could have a under bed sliding draw that is big enough for a full size spare and can double as luggage space if you don't need one. The tow hitch might have to be under that though... the CT has a very low body overall which doesn't help for packaging.