Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to understand indicator logic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've found that most of the time, my Model three will give me three-flashes on a half press / nudge of the indicator stalk. Which is quite nice and behaviour I'm used to.
Sometimes though, it only gives a single flash and I either need to hold it halfway or fully deflect the stalk for more flashes and as yet I can't figure out what situations will do that. It often happens at night exiting roundabouts (and during the day the same roundabout and approach / exit will give 3 flashes), and sometimes like this morning I only got single flash behaviour when changing lanes. So I haven't been able to pick a pattern that will let me predict the behaviour.

Can anyone explain the logic behind this?

Are you accidentally holding the stalk at that first stop rather than just flicking it into that position quickly? If you hold it there too long, it will only indicate as long as you hold it there.
That was my initial thought too, but it's something I've been careful with since noticing this (and a conscious quick flick after getting the single flash results in another single flash). I've not been able to replicate it when parked.
But now I'm wondering if being new the switch is a little slow to respond, since thinking about it most of my trips are short and the car has been cold-soaked for several hours. I might try a few firm transitions up and down on the stalk while the car is parked and see if that changes things.

I also observed that the indicator stalk and drive stalk aren't quite level, it looks like the steering column shroud is very slightly off center. Stalk travel seems unaffected so although I thought this was just a visual thing maybe it might be something to look into..

It's same across most modern cars...
if you flick quickly, three flashes... almost meeting 3 second rule.
if you let it click, then flashes until unclicked...
if you go hard like clicking but hold little longer it's just single flash...

same if you pull hard, it's one blink like giving way...
if you flick softly then it gets into auto high-beam mode
if you pull to click, it stays in high-beam.

It's same across most modern cars...
if you flick quickly, three flashes... almost meeting 3 second rule.
if you let it click, then flashes until unclicked...
if you go hard like clicking but hold little longer it's just single flash...

same if you pull hard, it's one blink like giving way...
if you flick softly then it gets into auto high-beam mode
if you pull to click, it stays in high-beam.
Yes, that's what I expect but it's not always what I get. Really I was just wondering if what was happening to me was expected behaviour or not, and it would seem not.

Reactions: Audietron
It might be worth giving the car a reboot by holding down both scroll wheels on the steering wheel until the screen goes black.
works every time for me... maybe they are secretly using Microsoft windows - lol.

If soft reboot doesn't fix... can always go to settings-service-wheel type-note down the current option- change option to anything random-confirm.... systems will reboot/reset... now do the same again to set original correct options, systems will reset/reboot again... most issues are resolved after this (mainly related to internet, network, and some software)

• Love
Reactions: Steve_Chch
It might be worth giving the car a reboot by holding down both scroll wheels on the steering wheel until the screen goes black.

works every time for me... maybe they are secretly using Microsoft windows - lol.

If soft reboot doesn't fix... can always go to settings-service-wheel type-note down the current option- change option to anything random-confirm.... systems will reboot/reset... now do the same again to set original correct options, systems will reset/reboot again... most issues are resolved after this (mainly related to internet, network, and some software)
Thanks both! That should have occurred to me to try 🙃. I had to pop out at lunchtime and since it was sunny I had occasion to lower the windows - which were also all very laggy on the controls... Soft reboot seems to have resolved both things 🤞.

Thanks both! That should have occurred to me to try 🙃. I had to pop out at lunchtime and since it was sunny I had occasion to lower the windows - which were also all very laggy on the controls... Soft reboot seems to have resolved both things 🤞.
yet to see a software issue not fixed after soft/hard reboot of system... unless it's human factor where hardware or software itself is messed up... very rarely an user error.

I actually give it reboot once a week/month or after every time there was gaming in car.
makes everything run like a new car and sometime forces to check for software updates...

Reactions: Steve_Chch
Merging from Southeastern Highway to Southern Motorway going north, the indicator always turns itself off before the merge is finished. This happens every time on non-T2 lane with the indicator on full, not 3 blinks. Never understood why it would turn itself off and I'm 100% sure I didn't turn the wheels hard enough and back to cancel the blinkers. Maybe @Steve_Chch you experienced the same "feature"?

Merging from Southeastern Highway to Southern Motorway going north, the indicator always turns itself off before the merge is finished. This happens every time on non-T2 lane with the indicator on full, not 3 blinks. Never understood why it would turn itself off and I'm 100% sure I didn't turn the wheels hard enough and back to cancel the blinkers. Maybe @Steve_Chch you experienced the same "feature"?
No, I've not come across that one.

I noticed that for last month or so.... it only happens where one of the lane is ending and suppose to merge to lane on right... car start indicating very early and by the time it's reaching the merging point it just stops indicating and trying to keep on driving straight... like committing suicide and trying to drive into wall/barrier on left.
Happens at so many motorway exits, noticed at few of the entry points as well (All Auckland SH1 motorway).