Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Refresh - Are Indicator buttons really poor design?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just saw the M3 refresh video on Fully Charged and I think I saw that the left and right indicator controls have been made buttons on the steering wheel. Am I the only one to think this is really bad design?

Imagine the scenario when you are approaching a roundabout and you want to take the right hand exit (ie normally 3rd or 4th exit in the UK).
As you approach you use your left hand to press the button with the right arrow on it - so far so good.
You turn the steering wheel as you go round the roundabout.
As you approach your exit and want to indicate left, with steering wheel turned, your indicator buttons are now on the other side of the steering wheel - so unusually you need to press the buttons with your right hand. But hold on. Their upside down!! The arrow symbol on the left indicator is pointing right and the arrow on the right indicator is pointing left. Not only that but the bottom button is now on top and the top button is on the bottom.
Now I appreciate many people don’t indicate correctly at roundabouts anyway but I can’t see this ‘development’ helping much.
I guess people will soon get used to it.
Call me old fashioned but I think I prefer the good old indicator stalk that just stays where it’s meant to be.

I just saw the M3 refresh video on Fully Charged and I think I saw that the left and right indicator controls have been made buttons on the steering wheel. Am I the only one to think this is really bad design?

Imagine the scenario when you are approaching a roundabout and you want to take the right hand exit (ie normally 3rd or 4th exit in the UK).
As you approach you use your left hand to press the button with the right arrow on it - so far so good.
As you approach your exit and want to indicate left, with steering wheel turned, your indicator buttons are now on the other side of the steering wheel - so unusually you need to press the buttons with your right hand. But hold on. Their upside down!! The arrow symbol on the left indicator is pointing right and the arrow on the right indicator is pointing left. Not only that but the bottom button is now on top and the top button is on the bottom.
Now I appreciate many people don’t indicate correctly at roundabouts anyway but I can’t see this ‘development’ helping much.
Call me old fashioned but I think I prefer the good old indicator stalk that just stays where it’s meant to be.
Yes they are bad design. If they would have put right signal on the right side and the left signal on the left side of the wheel, that would help a bit.

Time and the market will tell. Eventually, either other manufacturers will follow Tesla's lead or stalks will reappear on Tesla's cars. Look at what happened with steering yokes.

Stalks have been so ubiquitous since forever that I am surprised Tesla have dropped them, but then I haven't driven a stalkless Tesla.

Just tilt your head with the steering wheel and you'll be fine 🤣

Reactions: shahryaran
It’s a stupid design decision. Only an American would even begin to think it was workable. Hopefully there will be a 3rd party add-on that will remedy their stupidity.
Here is solution: