Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA and EVgo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for sharing. I tried a straight forward charge yesterday with my new ccs adapter and had no luck but hopeful to try autocharge+. Curious what your max charge rate was?

Sorry for the late reply. I've seen peaks in the 170-180 kW range on CCS at 350 kW EA and EVgo chargers. The EVgo station I tend to use for testing is only 50 kW max. It is one that also has an attached Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. So peaks at low- to mid-40s kW - comparable to using the CHAdeMO adapter. These have been mostly functionality tests. Not intended to try for peak charging rates via deep preconditioning and low states of charge.

Excellent EVGo experience today: I setup autocharge with my M3 at one of the signet locations here and got 190kW. Since EVGo charges by the minute in Washington State, and I was able to precondition my pack by navigating to the nearest supercharger, 30 minutes got me 56kWh which worked out to $0.17/kWh - half the rate of the just commissioned Tukwila supercharger near me. That is closer to a home charging rate if I had access to it.

The iOS EVGo app made setting up autocharge easy - key for me was using it to scan the VIN (it must use that to know if the car can use a CCS adapter) and not plugging in to the charger until the app requests it. After this initial setup, I expect to be able to just plug in the next visit and not need to use the app. Stay tuned!

All that remains to approach the superior Tesla supercharger network is the integration of EVGo into the onboard navigation system (the EVGo locations with a L2 tesla connector already do) and initiate preconditioning when navigating to one.

Charging rates below 100kW end up not being as economical - both time and money. Many EVGo chargers promise only 50kW. But with the fast ones here in Washington they are good alternative.

Reactions: wws
Got it work - I think. Basically the steps are:

1.) Bring up the EVgo phone app on your phone. Do NOT try to use the web site via a web browser. Their web site does not (yet?) have the ability to enter your cars VIN.

2.) Touch the menu (triple equals) button on the upper left. Scroll down and touch 'Vehicles Autocharge+'. Add your cars VIN. Touch the button to request Autocharge+ enrollment. It should indicate your request is pending.

3.) Drive to a close by EVgo station that has CCS chargers. Do not connect the cable to your car yet.

4.) Bring up the EVgo app again. Press the arrow to move the map to your location.

5.) On the phone app, touch the button for the appropriate charger and touch the button to pair the car with Autocharge+. It should then tell you to plug into the car.

6.) Snap the CCS plug into your CCS adapter, then plug them both into the car.

7.) App will ask if this is the car you want to pair up. Confirm.

8.) Charging begins.

The above steps are from memory. Hopefully I've got them all right.
Thanks for the post. Was finally able to get back to an EVGO charger to complete the autocharge setup using your instructions above.

Reactions: wws