Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit of a novice investor, I'm hoping some other people talking about their put or call options here could shed a little light for me. I've done a little research into what puts and calls are but I'm having a hard time understanding the proper practical application. The example I looked at basically described a put as a fee you could pay to sell shares and a pre-arranged price anytime you want in the future up to a certain date, and a call would be the opposite.
Hi,

A "put" gives the owner the right to sell a fixed number of shares at a particular "strike price." A call is the opposite: it gives the owner the right to buy a fixed number of shares at a particular strike price. These are rights, not obligations. The rights expire as of a particular date.

Options can be used to hedge a particular position. Suppose I hold 1000 shares of TSLA, and I want to ensure that their value doesn't fall below $25/share. I can buy puts at a $25 strike price, buying downside insurance by giving me the right to unload my shares at $25, regardless of the market price. I might choose to fund that insurance by selling calls, which will generate some cash at the expense of capping my upside, because I'm giving someone the right to buy my TSLA shares at, say, $30, regardless of the market price. I will, in effect, have used puts and calls to reduce the volatility of my position.

With modern trading platforms, a lot of this hedge value can be replicated by putting in "limit orders" to buy or sell a security. These don't cost anything (until they're executed), but run some risk of not having the liquidity to execute at your desired price, whereas options will always do what you expect them to.

I would counsel you, as a novice investor, to stick with straight purchases of equities. Options are in the "advanced techniques" category of investing. You can lose a lot of money, fast, if you screw up your portfolio while holding options. In the above example, if I sold my TSLA shares but forgot to buy back the call options, I would have a "naked" call position with potentially unlimited financial exposure. Not a good place to be if TSLA were to climb to over $100....

Last edited:
Hi,

A "put" gives the owner the right to sell a fixed number of shares at a particular "strike price." A call is the opposite: it gives the owner the right to buy a fixed number of shares at a particular strike price. These are rights, not obligations. The rights expire as of a particular date.

Options can be used to hedge a particular position. Suppose I hold 1000 shares of TSLA, and I want to ensure that their value doesn't fall below $25/share. I can buy puts at a $25 strike price, buying downside insurance by giving me the right to unload my shares at $25, regardless of the market price. I might choose to fund that insurance by selling calls, which will generate some cash at the expense of capping my upside, because I'm giving someone the right to buy my TSLA shares at, say, $30, regardless of the market price. I will, in effect, have used puts and calls to reduce the volatility of my position.

With modern trading platforms, a lot of this hedge value can be replicated by putting in "limit orders" to buy or sell a security. These don't cost anything (until they're executed), but run some risk of not having the liquidity to execute at your desired price, whereas options will always do what you expect them to.

I would counsel you, as a novice investor, to stick with straight purchases of equities. Options are in the "advanced techniques" category of investing. You can lose a lot of money, fast, if you screw up your portfolio while holding options. In the above example, if I sold my TSLA shares but forgot to buy back the call options, I would have a "naked" call position with potentially unlimited financial exposure. Not a good place to be if TSLA were to climb to over $100....

Novice investors should not trade options. Expanding on the comments above ...

In the 'spectrum' of option trading, some options have more risk than others. Writing (selling) options is very different than buying options. While buying options creates a right to purchase or sell the underlying security, writing (selling) options creates and obligation to sell (or buy) the underlying stock.

Regarding risk, options have much more leverage than holding the stock itself. As pointed out above, selling 'naked calls' can have unlimited risk, which is similar to shorting the stock. On the other hand, writing 'covered calls' where you own the stock and write (sell) a call option only limits one's upside in the stock. Covered calls can allow an investor to generate a rate of return on a non-dividend paying stock if the options expire out-of-the-money and are not exercised.

The risks inherent in writing (selling) 'naked puts' is similar to owning the underlying security, with much greater leverage. If you believe in TSLA and are willing to buy the stock, you can write (sell) a put option that, if exercised, will have you owning the stock. The benefit of naked puts are that you can reduce your investment cost since the premium reduces the cost of your investment. On the other hand, if you write (sell) some, say, August $27 puts on TSLA and the stock is above $27 at expiry then you keep the premium. You can then use that money to buy the stock. If TSLA goes higher than the premium you wrote the put for then you missed a chance to invest (i.e., you limited your upside).

Investing in stocks has its risks. Investing in options has greater leverage, which can increase the risk and, at the same time, reduce other risks while generating a return.

Again, novice investors should not trade options. Advanced investors may want to consider using options to increase their rate of return, particularly if they are following the stock closely.

I'm already short the August 28's and august 31's... :)

Another investing strategy that you may wish to consider is to sell some August $28 put options. You can sell those for ~$2.00 each, so if the stock drops below $28.00 and the option is exercised then you will have bought TSLA at $26.00 share. If TSLA increases in price, it would have to be above $31.10 for you to 'beat' the break even. This assumes that you paid $1.10 for the August $28 call options. $31.10 - $2.00 = $29.10. $28.00 + 1.10 = $29.10.

Thoughts?

Killing the shorts

Just wondering... how much money would one need to make the shorts (run for) cover?

What percentage of the 64M floating shares would one need to buy (somewhere between $27 and - say $45) to have the shorts cover? Would 10% of the float (6M x $36 = $200M) do to get the price up to $45?

If we all pulled together, would that be a first: flash-mob stock manipulation?

I think we should promise not to sell below $60. Who's in? :wink:

Dear SEC commissioner, should the price of TSLA stock sudden rise at high volume we might have nothing to do with that. Really. Promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.